Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

could painting clutch and generator covers cause lack of heat loss

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

could painting clutch and generator covers cause lack of heat loss Empty
PostSubject: could painting clutch and generator covers cause lack of heat loss   could painting clutch and generator covers cause lack of heat loss Icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2012 12:05 am

a bit of nollage requierd im considering painting my exhaust sistem product i have seen for doing this can reduce external exhaust heat by upto 33 percent all good but it does this by keeping the heat in again good as exhaust gasses will escape exhaust quiker and the product has quite a nice finish and is ment to be a good solid paint that gards against stone chips corrosion and so on(ideal as i use bike all year round except when it snows) was also going to paint the clutch and generator cover along with the cylinder head sidecovers could doing this potenchaly efect the engine with its heat loss allthough the engine is water cooled and im not going to be painting the barel / head were the cooling fins are or the crankcase the clutch and generator cover still get hot i dont know how mutch they play a part in cooling the engine but presume they release sum heat does anyone know more about this or resons why this is not a good idear or maybe its not such a bad thing to do any imput woud be apreciated as i dont wont to bugger up my bike
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: could painting clutch and generator covers cause lack of heat loss   could painting clutch and generator covers cause lack of heat loss Icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2012 1:05 pm

Hi Morgan if you look at the m50\m800 you will see that these are painted black to add to the muscle look (SUZUKI idea) the difference is these are done in the factory and baked on,if you are a good paint spayer and the end product will suit you,then I can see no harm.( this is only my input,it is entirely up to you if you go with it.)I must admit do not know about the exaust paint,it might have adverse effects on normal engine parts,you would be better asking a custom bike forum or shop.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: could painting clutch and generator covers cause lack of heat loss   could painting clutch and generator covers cause lack of heat loss Icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2012 3:14 pm

I think alfie's recomendation of asking a paint shop for advice is a great one. You need to remember though that once you have done it you have gone up a one way street so preperation is without doubt the most important thing and I think you will find prep for that area with all the nooks and kranies will be a pain in the arse. I would use a high heat automotive engine spray paint, which are readily available in places like Halfords
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: could painting clutch and generator covers cause lack of heat loss   could painting clutch and generator covers cause lack of heat loss Icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 3:21 pm

sorry should of said that the paint im considering is done by a place that prepare and paint the exhaust (google zircotec ) they allso have a range of other hightemp coatings once youv read or seen this stuff (zircotec) it will make more sence about my question (sorry was not clear with my first question) its fine for the exhaust but could be a bit much for the other parts although bike is water cooled so on so on thanks for comments alfie92 im not bad at spray painting as iv worked for a while spraying lorrys in the past and yes think i will ask some custom bike people see what they think (my brain must of been asleep ) cc your right prep is key to any paint work last time i had a engine done i had bits sand blasted then had it powder coated you could get quite a good finish with spray cans but probaly aint got the tuffness (although not sure ) as allways thanks for all or any imput if ya get a chance check out the zircotec site looks like good stuff
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: could painting clutch and generator covers cause lack of heat loss   could painting clutch and generator covers cause lack of heat loss Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 3:07 am

Oh just re-read this thread and realised neither of us answered your thread question. No restricting heat loss will not be an issue to any degree!
Back to top Go down
CycleBiker
CycleBiker

PostSubject: Re: could painting clutch and generator covers cause lack of heat loss   could painting clutch and generator covers cause lack of heat loss Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 1:23 pm

It is even assumed that the aluminum engine covers of the Vincent Black Shadow were enamelled black to improve heat loss.
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: could painting clutch and generator covers cause lack of heat loss   could painting clutch and generator covers cause lack of heat loss Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 2:20 pm

captain crash wrote:
Oh just re-read this thread and realised neither of us answered your thread question. No restricting heat loss will not be an issue to any degree!
just a final check youv had a look at the zircotec site seen the product and are saying that it would be fine to paint engine parts could you give breef explanation as to why its ok so that i have your viewpoint and also peace of mind before going ahead although i have to save a little more money and thanks again for imput
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: could painting clutch and generator covers cause lack of heat loss   could painting clutch and generator covers cause lack of heat loss Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 2:52 pm

Spraying the engine with high tempreture paint is fine could painting clutch and generator covers cause lack of heat loss 184121345

Spraying with Zircotec is not fine could painting clutch and generator covers cause lack of heat loss 437349
Zircotec wrote:
surface temperatures reduce by ~33%
You do not want to use a product that holds the heat in. Thats good for exhaust & that is why some people wrap them but you do not want the heat held in an engine.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: could painting clutch and generator covers cause lack of heat loss   could painting clutch and generator covers cause lack of heat loss Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 11:32 am

captain crash wrote:
Spraying the engine with high tempreture paint is fine could painting clutch and generator covers cause lack of heat loss 184121345

Spraying with Zircotec is not fine could painting clutch and generator covers cause lack of heat loss 437349
Zircotec wrote:
surface temperatures reduce by ~33%
You do not want to use a product that holds the heat in. Thats good for exhaust & that is why some people wrap them but you do not want the heat held in an engine.

Spot on could painting clutch and generator covers cause lack of heat loss 3498837457
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: could painting clutch and generator covers cause lack of heat loss   could painting clutch and generator covers cause lack of heat loss Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 4:24 pm

riteo think ill spray exhaust with zircotec stuff and hav over bits done with high temp powdercote as they hav a lot of coulors and i should be abble to match it up pritty well when i get the money
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: could painting clutch and generator covers cause lack of heat loss   could painting clutch and generator covers cause lack of heat loss Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 11:35 am

I think thats a good idea to spray the exhaust with that stuff as an alternative to wrapping them, all depends on the styling required but it sure does look like a good alternative
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: could painting clutch and generator covers cause lack of heat loss   could painting clutch and generator covers cause lack of heat loss Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 12:27 pm

Yeah could be really good on the shorties like blues has
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: could painting clutch and generator covers cause lack of heat loss   could painting clutch and generator covers cause lack of heat loss Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 7:57 pm

agree with MI and also CC should do the job well and last longer than wrapping them also should stop any corrosion from the outside good news for all winter and allweather riders
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: could painting clutch and generator covers cause lack of heat loss   could painting clutch and generator covers cause lack of heat loss Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

could painting clutch and generator covers cause lack of heat loss
Page 1 of 1