Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How clean is clean?

Go down 
+6
Bunso Steel
captain crash
hector 19
fat intruder
pledge
Bluesman
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

How clean is clean? Empty
PostSubject: How clean is clean?   How clean is clean? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 12:01 am

Met a guy on a Drag Star today. Wow! that was one clean machine. The chrome was nothing less than stunning and every nook crevice and cranny was spotless. His mate said he cleans it all the time and he said he never takes it out unless the sun is shining. I know Dave's Intruder was pretty immaculate when I saw it last year. Mine has been pretty average since I had it. But that's all going to change!! I started with a complete Harley polish-up today and the bike looks showroom clean. Next up - it's the 800. I really want it to shine - there are so many beautufully clean cruisers in Swansea, I am beginning to get sensitive! I am going to try and dry ride only - at least that will cut down the amount of time I need to spend keeping it shiny. It's amazing with all this sunshine at the moment how it shows up the dirt particularly on the black framework.

How about you guys - any of you like a nice shiny bike? Or do you prefer a workhorse? Perhaps you actually enjoy polishing you bike. I don't but I must make myself do it. That Drag Star might come and park up by mine any time - (ooh the shame!) I am lucky to have more than one bike. I know some who have one but always keep it in tip top shape - all credit to them.

If you are not that fussy - I know exactly where you are coming from. I had a Bandit I never cleaned for a year but it never detracted from the pleasure I got from that bike.

Just wondered how others stand on this 'clean' business.

How clean is clean? 881924 How clean is clean? 123721
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: How clean is clean?   How clean is clean? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 4:35 am

How clean a bike is or anything else is all down to the individual, one persons standards are not always relevant to another's. I keep my bike up to what I believe is a high standard but someone else may not agree.
Two things are for sure, dirt holds moisture and moisture attracts rust & there is no rust on my bike.
Back to top Go down
pledge
Valued Member
pledge

PostSubject: Re: How clean is clean?   How clean is clean? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 8:05 am

I do like to keep my bike clean although I don't really enjoy washing or polishing, it's just a thing that needs doing to keep it looking nice. I use a cleaner called Mucoff just spray on wash off it works great.
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: How clean is clean?   How clean is clean? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 11:26 am

if my bike is clean wich its not all the time i do more of a pledge style clean most of the time i just wash it well and rub it down dry some times i just go to a jet wash and go through some of the washes (foam/brush/wheel cleener so on) once every now and again ill give it a polish but i know people who spend a lot of time cleaning there bike or bikes one gye i know thinks nothing of spending a whole day doing it from maybe 8:30/9:00am to 6:00 or 7:00pm with brakes for fags food and maybe the od tiny ofcorse and sets days aside for doing just that hes bikes are very clean and shiney and are a credit to the time he spends doing all the work to keep them lookin that way though i think its a personal choise each to ther own but once you get the kleening bug it will get you bad specaly if youv got spare time on your hands to do it youl start seeing a lot of new things enter your garage that will help you get to all the hard to get to places that you thought you couldent get before good luck bluesman and post some pics of your bike when its sparkaling one from around the mumbles peer with the sun hitting it would be nice
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: How clean is clean?   How clean is clean? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 1:11 pm

fat intruder wrote:
good luck bluesman and post some pics of your bike when its sparkaling one from around the mumbles peer with the sun hitting it would be nice

There's a challenge - I'll have to clean it good and proper now!How clean is clean? 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: How clean is clean?   How clean is clean? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 3:01 pm

I used to really go to town on my bike and polish the life out of it nowadays its still kept very clean, which is easy as I jet wash it and then get the leaf blower on it to dry it. It then gets a quick polish over.
When I first had my bike I would spend hours & hours cleaning it but now, even with wheel cleaning it takes me no longer than 90 minutes or so.
Having the leaf blower speeded up the job dramatically as I had a bone dry bike after 5 minutes and the home made jack has speeded up the wheel cleaning fourfold.
I think its all about getting the compromise right and working out the quickest way of getting her up to a standard that you can except. The problem is that in my opinion, these bikes can so quickly go from a beauty to a beast when they look dirty and I think the black ones show the dirt so badly.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: How clean is clean?   How clean is clean? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 3:52 pm

Mr Intruder wrote:
The problem is that in my opinion, these bikes can so quickly go from a beauty to a beast when they look dirty and I think the black ones show the dirt so badly.

So true. Black Intruders look the business when clean - shit when dirty. Worth it though!
Back to top Go down
hector 19
hector 19

PostSubject: Re: How clean is clean?   How clean is clean? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 6:55 pm

i hate cleaning my bikes,my bikeing mates are always on at me but i did'nt buy them to clean .i do find myself polishing bits of chrome on my vz though,never did that on my xjr and after 10 years of use it dont look too bad.i may just go and rub a bit of chrome a minit ,i'll be back in a mo...
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: How clean is clean?   How clean is clean? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 7:04 pm

Your 5 minutes are now over Hector, we will see you in an hour when your finished lol!
Back to top Go down
hector 19
hector 19

PostSubject: Re: How clean is clean?   How clean is clean? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 7:17 pm

finnished now. don't take long these days
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: How clean is clean?   How clean is clean? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 7:27 pm

Maybe not but you 5 minutes turned in to 22 How clean is clean? 852880
Back to top Go down
Bunso Steel
Valued Member
Bunso Steel

PostSubject: Re: How clean is clean?   How clean is clean? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 7:31 pm

My bike is the most filthy, disgusting and rusty cruiser i have seen locally! I cleaned it properly once last year just after I bought it, and have never cleaned it since. Its my only mode of daily transport, as I'm currently sharing the ST with my friend. I ride to work and back on it every day, and travel on it at the weekends, all year round, regardless of weather. I would have to clean it after every ride to keep it looking clean, and I hate cleaning it. The underside, frame and chrome has started to rust quite badly, and its only just over a year old! At some point I'll settle down and give it a deep clean, and then leave it for long time again. The appearence of the little features just doesn't bother me, it still looks cool from a distance, and you cant see then rust when Im driving past you! So long as nothing drops off, I dont care. If I get another cruiser that wasn't going to be a workhorse, I promised myself I would try to keep it clean.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: How clean is clean?   How clean is clean? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 9:02 pm

Bunso Steel wrote:
I ride to work and back on it every day, and travel on it at the weekends, all year round, regardless of weather. I would have to clean it after every ride to keep it looking clean, and I hate cleaning it.

How clean is clean? 184121345 A real working 800 - that's one in the eye for us posers. Cleaning is a choice not a necessity!
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: How clean is clean?   How clean is clean? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 9:11 pm

At the end of the day it's horses for courses, it's a bloody good color that bike being silver you can get away with a lot without feeling guilty
My wife's car is dark blue and needs washing 10 times more often than my silver car
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: How clean is clean?   How clean is clean? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 9:23 pm

captain crash wrote:
At the end of the day it's horses for courses, it's a bloody good color that bike being silver you can get away with a lot without feeling guilty
My wife's car is dark blue and needs washing 10 times more often than my silver car

My car is silver - the best colour, the colour of dirt!
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: How clean is clean?   How clean is clean? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 9:54 pm

Hi Joe what we used to do to our bikes was clean them with old diesel oil on rags without wiping it off,then every now and again give it a good clean and wipe with old oil rags again,it works wonders m8 and keeps the muck off,people would use vaseline but that kept hold of grime and could cause scratches,just it a try on your wheels,get them clean and then wipe them down with an oily cloth,and leave it alone for a bit.When I say a bit I mean until you decide to wash it again.

John I try and keep my bike as clean as functionaly poss,but not go over the top.Being retired I certainly have more time, but more often than not I am out on the bike riding, fishing or visiting ect,ect.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: How clean is clean?   How clean is clean? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 10:01 pm

alfie92 wrote:
....more often than not I am out on the bike......

Yep if I have to choose between cleaning and riding, it's riding every time!
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: How clean is clean?   How clean is clean? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 10:03 pm

How clean is clean? 276246 How clean is clean? 2215087486
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: How clean is clean?   How clean is clean? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 10:10 pm

bunso steel if you use bike all year round no wurrys i know quite a few people that do just give it a relatively good kleen before winter and spray all the uderside frame wheels engine sidecovers what ever you want to protect with your chosen protector when you get to spring (now ish ) give it a good kleen agian to get it all of and your set till next winter this will help with the rust quite a bit cause it will stop a lot of the salt ( youl know this allredy but just in case ) in the mean time by some auto sol park next to the shineyest cruser you come across leave it on your seat then return to your bike about an hour later you never know they may see the auto sol dirty bike auto sol dirty bike it might become to much for them and they may not be able to stop themselfs from starting to kleen . PS when you find this person please let me know so i can park my bike the other side How clean is clean? 215375 agree with alfie92 or use oily rags cloth sorry was writeing when he posted
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: How clean is clean?   How clean is clean? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 10:16 pm

Around here they would just the Autosol.How clean is clean? 3498837457
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: How clean is clean?   How clean is clean? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 10:21 pm

Alfie's comment about the oily rag got me thinking about when I was a kid my dad always used to wipe stuff over with a paraffin rag, same thing I guess. We could learn a lot from the oldies, it's sad but there knowledge is dying with them in this throw away society

I guess if your cleaning a bike only once or twice a year it is really important to get the ACF50 or any other alternative cleaner on the bike to give it a fighting chance of holding up against the salt and dirt
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: How clean is clean?   How clean is clean? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 10:29 pm

know how it is mate (alfie92) thats wy i had a chain on my bike in truth i probaly dont need one were i live now but old habits dye hard once you lern not to trust couldent help my self getting another big dog because theres an ally at the back of me house all beit shes a big softy and only 10 months at the moment . and agree with CC a lot of tricks to do with stuff like that are normally lerned from old blokes and there more than happy to give out there imfo as they like someone listening to what theyv got to say
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: How clean is clean?   How clean is clean? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 11:39 pm

I think in the winter a good coating of something to keep off the salt and water is almost essential. Around now it should be safe enough to do a thorough wash and polish up to a high sheen. Alternatively the 'oily rag' light coating sounds a fair compromise for low maintenance 'summer' riding. A big factor surely is how much time you have or prefer to give to cleaning duties. Once you go down the 'immaculate' road - be prepared for some hard work.
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: How clean is clean?   How clean is clean? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 2:02 pm

Bluesman wrote:
I think in the winter a good coating of something to keep off the salt and water is almost essential. Around now it should be safe enough to do a thorough wash and polish up to a high sheen. Alternatively the 'oily rag' light coating sounds a fair compromise for low maintenance 'summer' riding. A big factor surely is how much time you have or prefer to give to cleaning duties. Once you go down the 'immaculate' road - be prepared for some hard work.
be prepared for sume hard work . sounds like youv started cleening alredy bluesman good for you mate am waiting for the pics hope they havent ruined the mumbles area since i was last down there ( when i was about 20)
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: How clean is clean?   How clean is clean? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 2:45 pm

i know im a slack lazy basted think ill do a before and after of my back wheel but will try and do a pic of me bike before i go away ill put one off the back wheel aswell will try and do it sunday as iv got to go to a wedding tommorow and will be packing the car sunday redy to leave monday but should be able to make a bit of time to do it bout time i did really otherwize people might think i sneeked on the site and dont even have a bike lloooll
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: How clean is clean?   How clean is clean? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 7:35 pm

A while ago I bought a gallon of snowfoam concenttrate and a Gilmour gun... fits to an ordinary hose, then froths up the foam, as you squirt it on the bike. Great for getting into dirty nooks & crannies.

Then you let it lift the muck for a few minutes then hose off.

Quick chammy on the paintwork, and looks great, without spending hours.

Now I just got a Nilfisk pressure washer (120 bar) £99 special offer at screwfix.

Came with a little shampoo bottle, and tbh that makes EVEN BETTER snowfoam.

I'm obviously gentle when pressure washing the bike, and avoid switches, also valve caps etc. But great results so far.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: How clean is clean?   How clean is clean? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 7:46 pm

ps............. one Pinnacle Gilmour Gun for sale if anyone wants one!!

Here's the type of thing....

http://www.motorgeek.co.uk/gilmour-foamaster-foam-p-307.html

My price £15.
Back to top Go down
Bunso Steel
Valued Member
Bunso Steel

PostSubject: Re: How clean is clean?   How clean is clean? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 9:51 pm

Ha, thats dumb, I wouldnt let anybody tell me that Im not riding my bike properly, 'chicken strips' or not! Just cos you are going round a corner doesnt mean you have to get the greatest possible lean angle you can.

BigMal, if jet washing the bike, I heard another area of the bike you should avoid, the centre of the wheels, because if its too hard, the oil can get blasted out and leave you with dry bearings.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: How clean is clean?   How clean is clean? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 10:23 pm

tHANKS jOE Wink GOOD TIP!
Back to top Go down
OldManYam
Very Valued VIP Member
OldManYam

PostSubject: Re: How clean is clean?   How clean is clean? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2014 8:54 pm

Yep, never been a big fan of jet washing - it can wash oil & grease from areas that would be better to stay lubricated.
Jet washing is good for cleaning body panels off quickly ... better for cars than bikes IMHO   How clean is clean? 3005623951  Yam
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: How clean is clean?   How clean is clean? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2014 8:57 pm

Jet wash is a great tool but can be dangerous as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How clean is clean?   How clean is clean? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How clean is clean?
Page 1 of 1