Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

wrapping baffles

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

wrapping baffles Empty
PostSubject: wrapping baffles   wrapping baffles Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 1:15 pm

What effect does wrapping baffles have to the noise levels & Tone?

I am thinking of popping my "HK Quiet Baffles" back in and wrapping them so that I can use my bike at silly hours of the day. Any suggestions, personal experience, preferred products or advice would be welcome.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

wrapping baffles Empty
PostSubject: Re: wrapping baffles   wrapping baffles Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 7:16 pm

Not sure about the cruzers Dave but i wrapped my pro pipe baffle with extra wadding and it did nothing
wrapping baffles IMAG0259
so tonight I took the baffle out and did the Bluesman mod
wrapping baffles IMAG0258
wrapping baffles IMAG0260
That has made a hell of difference, still deep and thudding without the volume
and no one can tell
wrapping baffles IMAG0261
do the cruzers have removable baffles so you could get some wadding in the exhaust _
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

wrapping baffles Empty
PostSubject: Re: wrapping baffles   wrapping baffles Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 10:27 pm

Hi Dave the advantage we have with the cruisers is they are detatchable.You can pack them until they will just fit back in,use a fine wire to tie them with.I use a bit of tipex on the inside of the exaust first to make it easy to put the baffle back in the right place for you only have one little grub screw at the back.If you wish to quieten them even more,you can make a baffle to go into the baffle or make a new one all together by making the exit hole smaller,this is the way I have been experimenting.It is not to bad for me as I live in the town centre and it is mainly busy day or night so not to much to worry about.I have seen baffles made from sink components the drain part.Will search for the link if I can find it.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

wrapping baffles Empty
PostSubject: Re: wrapping baffles   wrapping baffles Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 10:42 pm

Yeah the baffles that are made from plumbing stuff uses a sink drainer and pipe, a mate of mine made one a few years back.

Problem is that if I started reducing the volume of the exhaust as in the Bluesman mod or similar I will loose power and I really am not happy to do that! I was hoping that someone might say that if I stove roped my HK quiet baffles that would make a noticeable difference but do far no one has wrapping baffles 474255
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

wrapping baffles Empty
PostSubject: Re: wrapping baffles   wrapping baffles Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 10:47 pm

Go for it Dave or use DB Killers to try and get the desired effect,cant talk from experience but I would not think they would loose you that much power.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

wrapping baffles Empty
PostSubject: Re: wrapping baffles   wrapping baffles Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 10:54 pm

I have "DB Killers" in already in the form of the HK Quiet baffles.
I will get some stove rope and wrap the I think, I will report back on the resulted differences at various rev ranges by checking with the DB app on the iPhone.
Cheers
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

wrapping baffles Empty
PostSubject: Re: wrapping baffles   wrapping baffles Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 11:34 pm

Stove rope is pretty good - get the tape version from a heating supplier - I think it's called chimney tape. Wrap around the baffle tightly and bind with wire (twist with pliers untill it snaps) - I use 3 wire rings on my HH baffles which are about 4 inches long. I have got them in at the moment. The exhaust pressure prises the rope apart gradually so the pipe gets louder over time so you may need a 2nd application. I took out my mesh and packing pipe liners last week and reinstalled the baffles with stove rope. Like you Dave, I keep experimenting. I am planning to do another mod soon. I will fix the mesh/packing tubes on to the HH baffles and fix this in the pipes with the regular screw. Will post pics if I do this. I am constantly changing my exhaust note and never seem really happy!! I think I posted an advert a while back but it appeared to be a broken link (shame)for an handlebar operated servo which meant you can vary the sound at the flick of a switch! Wow wouldn't that be great! For the meantime some kind of internal wrapping seems the best way to go. I do like thuddy pipes rather than metallic sounding ones. Pipes sound different when you are riding compared with what others hear. I always seem to prefer bikes that go past but then It's different when you are sat on the thing! Hey ho!

PS If you want a quick way to drastically reduce the volume as you ride away from home - make a couple of wooden plugs from bits of batten, hammer them in, ride a hundred yards in near silence, stop, wiggle them out and put in your saddle bags and continue at normal volume. I did my early morning gettaways for a whole summer last year using this method. As long as a bit of gas can escape, they will be fine and soooo quiet! Looks a bit stupid but very, very effective.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

wrapping baffles Empty
PostSubject: Re: wrapping baffles   wrapping baffles Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 4:36 am

Good idea on the quick fix to get away in the early hours John wrapping baffles 3498837457

Thanks for the tip on the chimney tape, I will definitely give that a go. The problem I have is that I love the tone of my V&H exhaust as it comes but the DB levels are way to high for suburbia. When I have the HK Quiet baffles installed I still love the tone and I very happy with the DB levels but it is still to loud for early mornings & I just need another couple of DB's off the top so I will get down the chimney shop asap. Cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

wrapping baffles Empty
PostSubject: Re: wrapping baffles   wrapping baffles Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

wrapping baffles
Page 1 of 1