Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.

Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomePublicationsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Sissy bar & panniers refix / Suzuki Intruder

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
simbo
.. Mechanical Tart .. .. Site Moderator ..

PostSubject: Sissy bar & panniers refix / Suzuki Intruder   Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:53 pm

Recently a forum member asked how I'd fitted my panniers and sissy bar to the bike, all I'd done was used longer ss dome head allen bolts and bolted through both brackets and put washers in between as spacers, Not only was this an ugly quick fix, It also made the panniers a permanent fixed to the bike as it took ages to remove them ! So today I set about fixing the Sissy bar and Panniers in a more decorative removable way, First of all I had to remove the Panniers from their brackets to gain access to the bolts,then I removed the bolts going through the Sissy Bar,brackets and mudguard, Using the same bolts I screwed them through from within the mudguard (the one nearer the front has a nut welded on the inside of the mudguard) Then tightened them back up using a ss half nut and washer to hold the Sissy bar and mudguard together.(this also acts as a spacer)

Doing it this way enables me to leave the Panniers and Brackets fixed together

So now I can remove or replace the Panniers within five minutes (4 nuts) instead of a good half hour,I don't often go without them but if I do I can just put the spiked chrome nut's on without panniers and it still looks ok.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: Sissy bar & panniers refix / Suzuki Intruder   Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:47 pm

Very clever that Sim.... hey what's going on? You seem to have FAR too much time on your hands lately for all these mods
Back to top Go down
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Sissy bar & panniers refix / Suzuki Intruder   Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:00 pm

bigmal wrote:
hey what's going on? You seem to have FAR too much time on your hands lately for all these mods

Two weeks off for xmas Mal Rolling Eyes I can't wait to get back
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Sissy bar & panniers refix / Suzuki Intruder   Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:02 pm

Great idea change the bolts over and put them in from the inside instead of running from the outside simbo. Makes life so much easier as they are bastards to get in and out everytime when you put thing on or take things of other wise
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Sissy bar & panniers refix / Suzuki Intruder   Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:06 pm

Good move Sim, I think I will do this myself.
I sometimes think about stripping the bike down a bit and taking off the sissy bar & rear seat but the thought of having to take those bolts out and put them back in more than once has stopped me from doing it as they are twats to get back in.
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: Sissy bar & panniers refix / Suzuki Intruder   Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:45 pm

A good idea is to open the front two holes up,these are the ones that have the nuts welded on the inside,just a send a drill through a little bigger than the bolt, this will save a lot of hassle,when trying to thread a 80/100 mm bolt from the inside.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: Sissy bar & panniers refix / Suzuki Intruder   Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:51 pm

Another very clever idea.... do you mean just open up the holes in the metalwork - not drilling through the welded nut too? I'm storing these tips up for when I get round to fitting my sissy bar.
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: Sissy bar & panniers refix / Suzuki Intruder   Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:00 pm

You must go through the nut to take advantage of being able to just push the bolt through,instead of spending time with the rear wheel on trying to screw it in.I done this mod months ago and find it much easier,I must admit that I do also take my rear mudgaurd off now and again to clean it from the inside as well.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: Sissy bar & panniers refix / Suzuki Intruder   Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:37 pm

OK
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Sissy bar & panniers refix / Suzuki Intruder   Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:42 pm

Sim where did you get those spiked nuts from mate, I want to invert the bolts myself soon & want those as they are so cool.
Back to top Go down
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Sissy bar & panniers refix / Suzuki Intruder   Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:45 pm

I got mine from here Dave http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320884571583?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
But they do them at Metric cruisers as well I think
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Sissy bar & panniers refix / Suzuki Intruder   Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:10 pm

Cheers Sim, just ordered 4.
Back to top Go down
smart
Valued Member

PostSubject: re sissy bar & pannier fix   Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:27 pm

Hi Dave thought this might be of use at some time http://www.custom-fasteners.co.uk/ they supply all kinds of nuts bolts & spares!!
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: Sissy bar & panniers refix / Suzuki Intruder   Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:16 pm

Very handy link. Cheers
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Sissy bar & panniers refix / Suzuki Intruder   Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:31 pm

smart wrote:
Hi Dave thought this might be of use at some time http://www.custom-fasteners.co.uk/ they supply all kinds of nuts bolts & spares!!
Great link thanks, I can see them making my wallet a bit lighter.
Back to top Go down
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Sissy bar & panniers refix / Suzuki Intruder   Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:44 pm

smart wrote:

It's in my bookmarks now
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Sissy bar & panniers refix / Suzuki Intruder   Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:59 pm

Thats a brilliant link, not only for all the nuts and bolts which covers everything and a bit more but also all the bike stuff they do. A proper little one stop
Back to top Go down
smart
Valued Member

PostSubject: Re: Sissy bar & panniers refix / Suzuki Intruder    Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:29 pm

Dave you know we only post them to lighten your wallet
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Sissy bar & panniers refix / Suzuki Intruder   Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:50 am

Well then, well done as your plan seems to be working
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sissy bar & panniers refix / Suzuki Intruder   

Back to top Go down

Sissy bar & panniers refix / Suzuki Intruder
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1