Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust

Go down 
+6
pledge
avinaftel
Rattler
Bluesman
Mr Intruder
collo
10 posters
AuthorMessage
collo
collo

How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust Empty
PostSubject: How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust   How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 5:29 pm

Ok after burning some of the airfilter box on to the exhaust the mark hasnt 100% gone, any suggestions on removing stuborn stains from chrome?

Noticed on someones bobber that they had wrapped the exhaust in some kind of heath proof gauze? not sure if that would look s**t.

Collo
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust   How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 5:56 pm

Found loads of info on the net, here's a few tips.
I have to say that I was surprised that oven cleaner was a tip that kept coming up!

How to Clean Melted Plastic off of Your Exhaust

Start with the engine and pipes cold. Place a bag of ice on the area that needs cleaning and allow the plastic to freeze. If you have access to dry ice this would be even better, but do not place the dry ice directly on the chrome. Once the plastic is cold, strike it sharply with a large spoon in order to crack it away from the pipes. Look for any areas that have broken away from the surface of the pipe and begin prying up the plastic there.It may be necessary to freeze and crack the plastic several times, depending on the severity of the problem.If icing does not work then try the next step.

Spray oven cleaner on a clean rag and then wipe generously on the area of melted plastic with the engine off and the pipes cold. Allow the spray to penetrate around the edges of the plastic for at least an hour. Then use a household dish sponge, the type that is Teflon safe, to wipe the plastic. Focus on any edge that shows a weakness. Continue wiping as long as any plastic comes off.Spray with more oven cleaner if necessary and wait another 20 minutes. Then wipe vigorously with a piece of aluminum foil that is wrapped around your hand with the shiny side out.If this does not work go to the next step.

Spray oven cleaner onto a clean rag and wipe it onto the melted plastic and then start your engine and allow to run for five minutes or until the pipes get hot. Allow your pipes to cool slightly then scrape the warm plastic with a plastic or wooden scraper. Be aware that the scraper will be ruined. While the pipes are still warm, wipe additional oven cleaner onto the area and scrub with a household dish scrubber.Wipe the pipes vigorously with a piece of aluminum foil, the shiny side out.If this does not work go to the next step.

Wipe on a solution of white vinegar and water (one cup vinegar to two cups of water). Run the engine to warm the pipes and while the pipes are warm rub on more of the white vinegar solution. Allow it to penetrate then scrub vigorously with a household dish scrubbing pad.

Wipe a commercial chrome cleaner/polish onto your pipes and follow the manufacturer's instructions for bringing out the shine of your chrome.

Last edited by The Intruder on Wed May 11, 2011 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
collo
collo

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust   How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 6:00 pm

Top Banana, thanks. Is it right for these after market pipes to get PROPER hot?
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust   How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 6:04 pm

Do your pipes have heat shield's or is what your looking at the exhaust?
If they don't have heat shields then I would say yes!
Back to top Go down
collo
collo

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust   How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 6:08 pm

No heat shields on these things!!!! the originals other than being the length of a small swimming pool stayed relatively warm in comparison!.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust   How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 6:21 pm

collo wrote:
No heat shields on these things!!!! the originals other than being the length of a small swimming pool stayed relatively warm in comparison!.

Two things
1st, A very hot (red hot) exhaust is a sure fire sign that you are running lean, is it red hot?
2nd, You now have stated that your exhaust is a single skinned exhaust so I would say it is probably OK! The reason I say this is because you are comparing the reflected heat from your after market exhaust to the stock exhaust which not only has a full length heat shield but also has a secondary shield around the area that your leg passed it.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust   How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 10:30 pm

My Mrs. usually catches her sole on the pipe with a melt mark. I clean it off whilst the exhaust is hot - scrape with a bit of soft wood when it is more liquid and then rub quickly with kitchen towel. Works fine on stock pipes as they do not get too hot. I then polish the dull mark left with polish when the pipe is cold.
Back to top Go down
Rattler
Valued Member
Rattler

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust   How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust Icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 2:07 pm

Warm the pipes up and then wack some oven cleaner on. Works great.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust   How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust Icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 5:51 pm

Rattler wrote:
Warm the pipes up and then wack some oven cleaner on. Works great.
I keep reading that but the thought of something that cleans an oven on my chrome has always given me the Heebie Jeebies. I will try it next time I need to tho'.
Back to top Go down
avinaftel
avinaftel

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust   How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 4:25 pm

Using a hammer and chisel, wack the offending plastic or human off the pipes. Use a light grinder to clean up. Wipe clean with soapy water and then use Amour All to spruce it up. There you go!
Back to top Go down
pledge
Valued Member
pledge

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust   How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 5:13 pm

avinaftel wrote:
Using a hammer and chisel, wack the offending plastic or human off the pipes. Use a light grinder to clean up. Wipe clean with soapy water and then use Amour All to spruce it up. There you go!

What's he on.lol!
Back to top Go down
avinaftel
avinaftel

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust   How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 5:19 pm

pledge wrote:
avinaftel wrote:

What's he on.lol!
exhaust fumes
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust   How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 9:33 pm

How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust 2740622253 you won't mind if I don't go first, let me watch you do yours first How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust 3498837457
Back to top Go down
avinaftel
avinaftel

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust   How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 10:22 pm

Be my guest. I'm fumigated already, obviously....:)
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust   How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 10:30 pm

If any of you dont fancy anything as scary sounding as oven cleaner, I can strongly recommend a metal polish called PEEK. My M800 had the 'pillion melted shoe syndrome' ... I waited till cool, gently used a stanley knife blade to remove most of the plastic, and PEEK cleaned off any residue.

I also had a coloured bloom on the downpipes and it sorted that out.

See here
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust   How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 8:30 am

Oooo and it's cheap to, we like cheap How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust 3005623951
Back to top Go down
doobie
Valued Member
doobie

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust   How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 4:05 pm

i use peek on all my shiny bits, (ooooer mrs), and it brightens up dull metal also
Back to top Go down
OldManYam
Very Valued VIP Member
OldManYam

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust   How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2014 9:09 pm

Bluesman wrote:
My Mrs. usually catches her  sole on the pipe with a melt mark. I clean it off whilst the exhaust is hot - scrape with a bit of soft wood when it is more liquid and then rub quickly with kitchen towel. Works fine on stock pipes as they do not get too hot. I then polish the dull mark left with polish when the pipe is cold.

Further to Bluesman's comment - My 'good lady' often 'bears her sole' on the zorsts of the Valkyrie/F6C ..... I just use a bit of decent car wax polish on a cotton rag whilst the exhaust is still hot & this, with a bit of elbow grease, works well without the need of harsher chemicals. Also good for removing road tar etc. from exhausts.  
Cheers  How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust 256401  Yam
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust   How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to get rid of mark's on the exhaust
Page 1 of 1