Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fast flashing indicators?

Go down 
+3
simbo
fat intruder
Mr Intruder
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

Fast flashing indicators? Empty
PostSubject: Fast flashing indicators?   Fast flashing indicators? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 5:36 pm

Wired in my indicators on the rear of my bike today, front ones are still in place. I can't work out why they are flashing fast as they are normal bulbs. At this rate I will have to buy a flash rate adapter. Has anyone else ever experienced a fast flash rate from normal bulbs when all 4 corners are fitted and working?
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: Fast flashing indicators?   Fast flashing indicators? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 5:49 pm

no! not that i'v changed many but as you say it's normally led indicaters that bugger up things like flash rate until until you add the bit in the wireing to sort it out sorry mate know idear like i say not changed many but that does soud odd as the new ones have bulbs are they the same size bulb
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Fast flashing indicators?   Fast flashing indicators? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 5:56 pm

Still flashes normal when the hazards are on. I will have a look at the bulbs to see if I can spot something untoward but I am buggered if I know what I am looking for. Might pop out and see if I can swap the bulbs with my stock ones. Its really strange as they would only normally flash faster only when the resistance has been lowered such as a blown or missing bulb or an LED replacement has been fitted. I am very confused on this one but at the same time very intrigued, oh I do love a mystery.
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: Fast flashing indicators?   Fast flashing indicators? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 6:02 pm

take your dog out to the shed with you dave you could call him skoobe and settle down to crack the mistery lol
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Fast flashing indicators?   Fast flashing indicators? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 6:11 pm

They're not a different wattage are they ?
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: Fast flashing indicators?   Fast flashing indicators? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 6:14 pm

just a thought (and maybe silly) but are the wires in anyway connected to the lights you have for number plate as they are led lights allthough indicators should have there own relay i think and be seperate from tail light
Back to top Go down
Bunso Steel
Valued Member
Bunso Steel

PostSubject: Re: Fast flashing indicators?   Fast flashing indicators? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 6:17 pm

I had this happen on a mates car, but it was the battery terminals shorting that caused it nothing to do with the indicators themselves. Give Doc Cox a call I bet he'd know?
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Fast flashing indicators?   Fast flashing indicators? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 6:21 pm

Joe, only happens with new indicators not with originals. Yes I will get onto the Doc if we draw a blank. Fast flashing indicators? 3498837457

Morgan, plate light is not yet installed but is on a separate circuit anyway.

Sim, yes would be the answer to that, just had a look.

The stock bulbs are: 12v - 21w - 6k
The new bulbs are:...12v - 23w - 8k

So the newer bulbs have a higher wattage not lower, hmmmmmm.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Fast flashing indicators?   Fast flashing indicators? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 6:27 pm

Have you tried the original bulbs in the new indicators ?
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Fast flashing indicators?   Fast flashing indicators? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 6:42 pm

The original bulbs don't fit but I believe I now have the answer, just spoke to Doc Cox.

Although the Volts are obviously correct at 12, the Wattage is the cause. Although the wattage in the new bulb is actually higher than the original, the bulb is smaller. This in turn affects the used wattage as the filament is smaller. So it isn't just decreased resistance that will cause a faster flash between bulbs but also an increased resistance in the circuit. Well something like thatanyway, to be honest he lost me. Fast flashing indicators? 852880
So the answer is to get new bulbs all at 12/21/6.
Solved. Fast flashing indicators? 3498837457
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Fast flashing indicators?   Fast flashing indicators? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 6:48 pm

Yep I was thinking along those lines, I just couldn't put it into words Fast flashing indicators? 2343124779
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Fast flashing indicators?   Fast flashing indicators? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 7:08 pm

It's a new one on me, I must be truthful. Must have just been lucky over the years maybe.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Fast flashing indicators?   Fast flashing indicators? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 7:15 pm

So my new bulbs have one pin slightly higher than the other on the fitting, rather than both at the same height. Do they have a name for this type of bulb?
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Fast flashing indicators?   Fast flashing indicators? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 7:30 pm

Offset pin or parallel pin single contact or dual contact for twin filament Fast flashing indicators? 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Badger
Valued Member
Badger

PostSubject: Re: Fast flashing indicators?   Fast flashing indicators? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 7:35 pm

May be staggered pin bayonet I think.
Back to top Go down
icetechaus
Valued Member
icetechaus

PostSubject: Re: Fast flashing indicators?   Fast flashing indicators? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 7:41 am

Dave, the wattage directly relates to the resistance with a filament bulb.
Power = Volts squared / Resistance
20W at 12V = 7.2 ohms
23W at 12V = 6.2 ohms
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Fast flashing indicators?   Fast flashing indicators? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 1:58 pm

So that means that there are less ohms at a higher wattage, crikey this does get confusing. Thanks for the input on this guys but it is all beyond me. Fast flashing indicators? 3307848339
Oh well at least I know what I am looking for now. Fast flashing indicators? 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Fast flashing indicators?   Fast flashing indicators? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 3:37 pm

Oh this is really doing my head in now. Fast flashing indicators? 410694 Fast flashing indicators? 3724349360
I just been out and had a proper look at this bulb and not only is it a feckin off set pin but also a dual filament bulb (12v 23v/8v) I need a replacement bulb with: off set pins (one higher than the other), single filament 12v 21w with that the dual contact bottom on. One of the things I don't understand is why it is a dual filament, t only has one set of wires.
I think these bloody things could be getting the hammer treatment soon and then getting launched out of the door and down the bloody road.
Fast flashing indicators? LLB1072
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Fast flashing indicators?   Fast flashing indicators? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 4:55 pm

Very strange :what1: It's like a stop and tail light, One set of wires ? maybe you only need to use one wire and they earth themselves ? Try using one live wire and earthing them to something with a piece of wire to the bulb holder. Fast flashing indicators? 2430667360
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Fast flashing indicators?   Fast flashing indicators? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 5:01 pm

You could be onto something there, hmmmmm shoes and coat are going back on. Fast flashing indicators? 3498837457
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Fast flashing indicators?   Fast flashing indicators? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 5:07 pm

It's the only reason I can think of really, Older indicators used to earth themselves but nowadays they're rubber mounted hence having earth wires.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Fast flashing indicators?   Fast flashing indicators? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 5:22 pm

Sim your a bloody genius man, give yourself a huge pat on the back. Fast flashing indicators? 276246 Fast flashing indicators? 65147 Fast flashing indicators? 586905 Fast flashing indicators? 424285 Fast flashing indicators? 1710857839 Fast flashing indicators? 3203236809 Fast flashing indicators? 3374812315

Yes these are rubber mounted as well. I just put the left indicator on and ran an earth from the frame to the indicator housing and bingo, a lovely much bright flash came back at me. It would seem these indicators have been under described in the sellers listing. They are not just indicators but also running lights like the yanks have them but I guess he left that bit out as we don't use them over here. So It would appear by using the earth wire I was actually activating just the 8 watt running light filament and not the correct 23 watt filament.
Finally Solved Fast flashing indicators? 433968 Sim
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Fast flashing indicators?   Fast flashing indicators? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 6:18 pm

That's good to read, glad it's all sorted. In hindsight it all makes sense but some times it can be really hard to see the wood because that trees keep getting in the way.
Simbo is on a roll today, this is the second thread I have read where he has helped make a members day
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fast flashing indicators?   Fast flashing indicators? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fast flashing indicators?
Page 1 of 1