Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Charge battery using Relay?

Go down 
+3
Mr Intruder
ippikin
atp2005
7 posters
AuthorMessage
atp2005
Prospect
atp2005

Charge battery using Relay? Empty
PostSubject: Charge battery using Relay?   Charge battery using Relay? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 10:16 pm

Charge battery using Relay? 4176454701 I'm extremely new to motorcycle maintenance. Over the winter my battery lost its juice so I borrowed a motorcycle battery charger and want to get her back up and running. That being said, the battery on my Intruder 800 appears to be difficult to get to, but I noticed the Relay on the left side of the bike has a positive and negative set of bolts and leads. Is it possible to charge the battery using this instead of removing the battery to charge it? Forgive my ignorance if this is a foolish question.
Back to top Go down
ippikin
ippikin

PostSubject: Re: Charge battery using Relay?   Charge battery using Relay? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 10:27 pm

On my M800 the battery is extremely easy to get to if you need to; just take the seat off. However, with a little work you can make it really easy....... the battery charger/maintainer I have (a Saito unit) comes with a short two-wire lead that can be connected permanently to the battery.... and ends in a connector block. I leave this sticking out just under the L side panel and when the bike is in the garage, plug the battery charger into this directly. Very easy to do and works really well.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Charge battery using Relay?   Charge battery using Relay? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 10:36 pm

No need to apologise for lack of knowledge, we all start some where. The battery is very easy to get to, and remove if you so desired. it is literally just 3 bolts, one for the rear seat and two for the front seat and only attach the battery charger to the battery.
Ideally you should think long term and buy a trickle charger. You can then have a small lead attached to the bike with the end placed in an easily accessible location. Mine just hangs out slightly from under the rider seat for easy connection.
The battery should never be left to become heavily discharged for any period of time as it does actually damage the battery, sometimes irreversibly.
Good luck and give us a shout you you require any further assistance. Let us know how you get on.
Back to top Go down
atp2005
Prospect
atp2005

PostSubject: Re: Charge battery using Relay?   Charge battery using Relay? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 11:46 pm

Thanks for the speedy response gentlemen, and the patience. My battery does not appear to be under the seat, at least not directly. I've had the seat and side panels removed in order to do some maintenance and there does not appear to be any access. The battery looks like it is stored in a box which is accessible from the right side of the bike directly in front of the rear tire near the ground. Attached is a picture indicating where the battery box seems to be. Am I missing something?
[img]Charge battery using Relay? Intrud11[/img]
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Charge battery using Relay?   Charge battery using Relay? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 10:16 am

Sorry both myself and Grob have missed the fact you are running a 93 VS. The battery on these was a not best placed for sure & the short answer is I don't have a bloody clue. Charge battery using Relay? 852880 If you require a manual for your model there is on in the maintanance section for download, although there are no quick battery charge tips in there.
I have just spent an hour searching the net for any post, advice or short cuts on charging the battery in position but can't find anything at all.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Charge battery using Relay?   Charge battery using Relay? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 10:57 am

Just spoke to a mate that used to own the same model as yours and he said you can charge the battery via the easily accessible starter relay. Whether this is good practice or not is debatable but if it makes life easier, then that's a choice for you alone but it has been done that way. Hardly surprising that people are looking for alternative ways due the the ridiculously awkward placing of the battery on this particular model.
Back to top Go down
atp2005
Prospect
atp2005

PostSubject: Re: Charge battery using Relay?   Charge battery using Relay? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 1:13 pm

Thank you for investing so much time in helping resolve my issue Mr Intruder. It is highly appreciated. I'll see if using the relay is effective.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Charge battery using Relay?   Charge battery using Relay? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 1:30 pm

No problem at all, let us know how you get on.
Back to top Go down
Proudtexson
VIP Member
Proudtexson

PostSubject: Re: Charge battery using Relay?   Charge battery using Relay? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 1:40 pm

That is a beautiful bike. Looks like it has been well maintained. I just know you are proud of it.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Charge battery using Relay?   Charge battery using Relay? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 1:41 pm

I was thinking the very same thing Tex, for a 20 rear old bike it looks amazing.
Back to top Go down
atp2005
Prospect
atp2005

PostSubject: Re: Charge battery using Relay?   Charge battery using Relay? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 3:06 pm

Haha gentlemen, I wish I could claim that beauty as my own but it was only a picture I pulled from Google to illustrate my point. My bike looks good, but not quite that good. Thank you anyways though. I'll post a picture when I get her up and running over the next few days.
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Charge battery using Relay?   Charge battery using Relay? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 4:06 pm

Hi I would personaly get an optimiser,then extend the leads in order to place the tail in a suitable place.When you have done this locate the battery and place the relevant leads to it,if you take your time this will only have to done once and in turn will maintain your battery without any trouble,and your battery problem should be over.When you see an Optimiser at your Auto shop it will make it a bit easier to understand.Good choice of bike ,you should enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Charge battery using Relay?   Charge battery using Relay? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 4:32 pm

Couldn't agree more with Alfie. An optimiser or similar product is easy to fit and is transferable when you move on to another bike.
Back to top Go down
atp2005
Prospect
atp2005

PostSubject: Re: Charge battery using Relay?   Charge battery using Relay? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 5:29 pm

I'll look into that now! Thank you.
Back to top Go down
icetechaus
Valued Member
icetechaus

PostSubject: Re: Charge battery using Relay?   Charge battery using Relay? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 12:51 am

I can't comment on using the starter relay to charge the battery as I haven't looked at the wiring diagrams however I found these instructions on replacing the battery.
http://www.ehow.com/how_7473072_change-battery-suzuki-intruder.html
Looks like a PITA of a job but if you are going to need to regularly trickle charge the battery it is probably worth dropping it out and fitting some decent connectors to allow for an easy plug in.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Charge battery using Relay?   Charge battery using Relay? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Charge battery using Relay?
Page 1 of 1