Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.

Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomePublicationsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Forward controls - homemade shifter linkage - 2000 Marauder VZ800Y

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
AmericanJambo

PostSubject: Forward controls - homemade shifter linkage - 2000 Marauder VZ800Y   Wed May 29, 2013 7:53 pm

I installed my Spaan forward controls today. Unfortunately it was missing the linkage for the shifter side. So I got creative and made a temporary linkage while I'm waiting for the missing one to arrive. Also, after installing I noticed that the controls were about an inch closer in to the bike than the stock controls. So I purchased some longer bolts and moved them out about .5"-.75". That helped quite a bit with the feel. The stretch on them is perfect now. The bike handles so much better for me. It feels like a new bike. Even the shifter feels more solid with a shorter throw. Great upgrade.

Here's how I made the linkage adapter. I first cut a piece of threaded bar to the proper length and test fit it.

The threaded bar by itself was far too flimsy and flexible to work by itself. So I got a piece of aluminum tubing and cut it short. Then I used split washers and standard nuts to hold the tubing in place. This also distributes the force to the tubing and not the threaded bar.

Here's a shot of how I used washers to move the controls out from the frame a bit. Just longer bolts and stainless steel wahsers. Nothing too fancy. Although I would like to find some stainless steel spacers to replace the washers with.

Back to top Go down
Bunso Steel
Valued Member

PostSubject: Re: Forward controls - homemade shifter linkage - 2000 Marauder VZ800Y   Wed May 29, 2013 8:08 pm

Good thinking. In the same line of thinking as what you have already done, you could cut and polish up a couple of segments of steel tube that is the right size to go over the washers and the welded nut, then it would look like big fat steel spacers and nobody would know any better
Back to top Go down
simbo
.. Mechanical Tart .. .. Site Moderator ..

PostSubject: Re: Forward controls - homemade shifter linkage - 2000 Marauder VZ800Y   Wed May 29, 2013 8:35 pm

Nice job! I like those forward controls
Back to top Go down
AmericanJambo

PostSubject: Re: Forward controls - homemade shifter linkage - 2000 Marauder VZ800Y   Wed May 29, 2013 8:42 pm

Bunso Steel wrote:
Good thinking. In the same line of thinking as what you have already done, you could cut and polish up a couple of segments of steel tube that is the right size to go over the washers and the welded nut, then it would look like big fat steel spacers and nobody would know any better

That is a brilliant idea! That's exactly what I'm going to do. Thanks for the idea brother.
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: Forward controls - homemade shifter linkage - 2000 Marauder VZ800Y   Wed May 29, 2013 8:52 pm

and your bike just keeps getting better
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Forward controls - homemade shifter linkage - 2000 Marauder VZ800Y   Wed May 29, 2013 10:39 pm

Brilliant job done there Jambo and an excellent write up to
Back to top Go down
Bunso Steel
Valued Member

PostSubject: Re: Forward controls - homemade shifter linkage - 2000 Marauder VZ800Y   Thu May 30, 2013 12:15 am

AmericanJambo wrote:

That is a brilliant idea! That's exactly what I'm going to do. Thanks for the idea brother.

No problem mate. I'd like to see what it looks like when its done.
Back to top Go down
Steen G

PostSubject: Re: Forward controls - homemade shifter linkage - 2000 Marauder VZ800Y   Thu May 30, 2013 5:23 am

Is that Cobra slip-on pipes you've got on your bike?
Back to top Go down
AmericanJambo

PostSubject: Re: Forward controls - homemade shifter linkage - 2000 Marauder VZ800Y   Thu May 30, 2013 5:49 am

Steen G wrote:
Is that Cobra slip-on pipes you've got on your bike?

Yep. Cobra slip on drag pipes. No baffles.
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: Forward controls - homemade shifter linkage - 2000 Marauder VZ800Y   Thu May 30, 2013 7:32 am

just looked at your pics again your crome's silly shiney . Keep em cleen ride em mean he he
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: Forward controls - homemade shifter linkage - 2000 Marauder VZ800Y   Thu May 30, 2013 11:52 am

Good job Jambo.
Back to top Go down
AmericanJambo

PostSubject: Re: Forward controls - homemade shifter linkage - 2000 Marauder VZ800Y   Thu May 30, 2013 5:26 pm

fat intruder wrote:
just looked at your pics again your crome's silly shiney . Keep em cleen ride em mean he he

The funny thing is that I'm about to powder coat or paint most of the chrome gloss black. The top part of the pipes, the chain guard, the rear sprocket, and the wheels are getting gloss black powder coat. The bottom part (slip on part) of the exhaust is getting re-chromed. The big chrome covers under the seat on both sides are getting painted gloss black too.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: Forward controls - homemade shifter linkage - 2000 Marauder VZ800Y   Thu May 30, 2013 11:30 pm

Well you are clever! I have some very similar looking Highway Hawk forward controls fitted, and with my long legs and the wide tank, I sometimes feel as if the pegs would feel more natural if they were positioned wider, so I shall add to my list of 'mods to do'.

Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: Forward controls - homemade shifter linkage - 2000 Marauder VZ800Y   Fri May 31, 2013 8:59 am

paint away mate i'm not a huge fan of crome
Back to top Go down
AmericanJambo

PostSubject: Re: Forward controls - homemade shifter linkage - 2000 Marauder VZ800Y   Fri May 31, 2013 1:31 pm

bigmal wrote:
Well you are clever! I have some very similar looking Highway Hawk forward controls fitted, and with my long legs and the wide tank, I sometimes feel as if the pegs would feel more natural if they were positioned wider, so I shall add to my list of 'mods to do'.

Do it. Made a big difference in the comfort. Without the extensions i couldn't get enough of my feet on the pegs and i had to squeeze my legs to ride. With the extension i have plenty of peg and i can relax my legs.
Back to top Go down
AmericanJambo

PostSubject: Re: Forward controls - homemade shifter linkage - 2000 Marauder VZ800Y   Fri May 31, 2013 1:32 pm

fat intruder wrote:
paint away mate i'm not a huge fan of crome

Me either. I like a little bit as an accent but that's it.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Forward controls - homemade shifter linkage - 2000 Marauder VZ800Y   Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:59 pm

Very nicely done, looks great.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Forward controls - homemade shifter linkage - 2000 Marauder VZ800Y   

Back to top Go down

Forward controls - homemade shifter linkage - 2000 Marauder VZ800Y
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1