Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please Empty
PostSubject: PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please   PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 9:26 pm

I'm going to be taking the PAIR valve off soonish & wondered if anyone had any recommendations on Blanking Kits.  Moccs seems to be the favoured choice - anyone had any first-hand experience of that one or any others?

Cheers
Back to top Go down
a4ebh
a4ebh

PostSubject: Re: PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please   PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 8:13 am

Hi Dave,

I scrapped the pair valve and all the other bits 6 months ago due to a weird throaty flappity farting noise on deceleration and suspected a faulty valve. I made my blanking plates out of 4mm stainless using the originals as a template and used a thin lick of high temp red silicone to assist in the seal, I then reused the original bolts. I brought a 4.7k ohm resistor and made a connector out of single pin connectors soldered onto either end of the resistor and with some heatshrink, bending and fine judgement, that plugs into the location where the valve used to. This fools the processor to think the valve is still in place. Many 800 owners cut the original connector off the pair valve setup and simply use that to solder the resistor to.

The front bolts are a right pain in the backside to remove and put back, but apart from that it works a treat. If your a handyman, they can be manufactured easily. Total cost $5NZ dollars and an afternoon in the garage listening to the radio and drinking beer.
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please   PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 9:27 am

Thanks - reckon I can probably do that, or know someone that can knock up some plates for me.  I must admit that in my naivety, I assumed that I wouldn't need to do the resistor bit - I thought that would only be the case on bikes fitted with injection, not carbs.  Is it obvious where the resistor needs to go?
Back to top Go down
a4ebh
a4ebh

PostSubject: Re: PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please   PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 12:17 pm

Oops... sorry dave, you got carbs... should have taken more notice. Google it for your model. Mines a 2009 with fuel injection. If i dont have the resistor the FI light will remain on as a warning.
Back to top Go down
a4ebh
a4ebh

PostSubject: Re: PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please   PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 12:38 pm

Just had a look on Google. Go to this http://www.moccsplace.com/images/pair/pairvol.htm web page and have a read. It does not mention anything about the resistor I had to place on mine. It must be vacuume operated.

M
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please   PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 2:22 pm

Yep - that's the same page I'd read.  Thanks for settling my mind at rest .  For what the kit costs, it'd be far less time consuming to just order one straight off him.  

Thanks for your help
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please   PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 4:47 pm

Great kits they are
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please   PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 5:30 am

Thanks Captain Crash - I'm going to disable the valve first, to see if it has any detrimental affect.  As long as there's no negative reaction, the whole thing comes off.  Apart from removing an ugly looking piece of metal from the jugs, I'm hoping it reduces the vicious backfire.  I have straight-thru pipes & I'm guessing the valve intensifies the backfire 

Thanks for your input
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please   PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 10:57 am

Hi guys.
Simple question ok? What benefits are there to removing the Pair system as I'm new to the VL800(C800) engine. PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please 2430667360
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please   PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 11:39 am

Simply put it takes away the popping and gurgle on desecration. Some hate it, I love it, each to their own.
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please   PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 12:04 pm

Ah ok thanks for that Dave, can't say i've heard it myself yet really but don't think it'll be on my to do list cos if it aint broke i wont be messing with it!
Glad you are up & about mate as you have been missed by us all here on the forum!

PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please 29160 :bike4:
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please   PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 12:06 pm

No worries Peter & thanks, It becomes more noticeable with some aftermarket exhausts.
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please   PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 12:10 pm

Yeh I'm leaving mine alone till I really need to change them Dave as I quite like the 'silent approach' that mine has at the moment. When I finish re-building my Velocette then I'll be hearing a real exhaust note again!  PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please 115684958
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please   PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 7:47 pm

Decided to disable the PAIR valve after work today - took about fifteen minutes, ten of which was finding something to plug the air lines.  Result - end of backfire completely.  Now, I have no problem at all with a bit of tasty backfire on over-run, the Katana sounded the dogs, hand built 4-2 with Laser sports cans - I loved it.  However, with straight-thru pipes, the VL sounded like it was going to self destruct.  Seriously, it sounded like a shotgun going off & as I sometimes go to work at 05.15 & sometimes arrive home after midnight, weekends included, I wasn't making neighbourhood friends.  It was also bound to attract unwanted plod attention, which frankly, I don't need.  So disabling it was ultimately the cheapest option.  

I have to say, it was the cheapest, most immediate gratification I've had in a long time !!!

It now sounds meaty without being over the top.  Next task is to remove the valve completely & display the jugs in their naked glory.  Now that a bit trickier, so if anyone in the Notts, Derby area has already done it, I'll gladly feed you coffee & biscuits if you come & give me a bit of moral support on the spanners.
Back to top Go down
a4ebh
a4ebh

PostSubject: Re: PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please   PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please Icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2013 12:39 pm

Have a long reach 8mm open ended ring spanner handy. Find someone mechanically minded with long skinny fingers to assist with the front blanking plate (That ones a b'strd to do so read about some of those other bits that can be moved on that web page to assist access. At the end of the day it's really worth it. I'd gladly assist but I really hate long haul flights.
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please   PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please Icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2013 4:03 pm

Yeh - & I've got big fat sausage fingers.  Tell you what, I'll bring it to you !!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please   PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PAIR Valve Blanking Kit Recommendations Please
Page 1 of 1