Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.

Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomePublicationsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:30 pm

I have enjoyed watching this thread evolve and will definitely be doing it, thanks for all the hard work guy's. I will refer back to this thread ASAP for inspiration.  
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:48 pm

I would also like to thank Jose and Sim for all their hard work,well done lads.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:17 pm

Back to top Go down
Ken1964
Valued Member

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:25 pm

I must also agree and say that some members really are an asset and deserve praise, very well done Sirs.
Back to top Go down
TaurusTuga

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:49 pm

Thanks Team for you are always here, ok?
But i sincerely hope that this was not the end but a pointing start to go ahead with 
Back to top Go down
simbo
.. Mechanical Tart .. .. Site Moderator ..

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:00 pm

TaurusTuga wrote:
But i sincerely hope that this was not the end but a pointing start to go ahead with 

Did I mention I'm off work for 10 days?    The devil makes work for idle hands as they say  Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
TaurusTuga

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:16 pm

simbo wrote:
TaurusTuga wrote:

Did I mention I'm off work for 10 days?    The devil makes work for idle hands as they say  Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:35 pm

Crack on then chaps, would be great to see one installed soon     
Back to top Go down
TaurusTuga

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:42 pm

captain crash wrote:
Crack on then chaps, would be great to see one installed soon     

Yep…and step by step "as if we were at schooll  " and need so badly learn with pro members !!!! 
Back to top Go down
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:51 pm

The Parts are on their way  
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:56 pm

Great another mod to watch and do in the near future.
Back to top Go down
TaurusTuga

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:13 pm

simbo wrote:
The Parts are on their way  

When???……when???....      

Back to top Go down
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:04 pm

The Gauge and Adapter arrived today   I'm impressed with the size of the gauge, It's smaller than I'd imagined so it'll give me more options for placement, I'm quite pleased with the adapter too  Very Happy Not that I get excited about adapters or anything pervy? I'd read somewhere that a 22mm adapters size was taken from the internal measurements, which would have been too large, anyway, the measurements are external so it should be a good fit. bloody typical I'm back in work now! so I'll crack on with fitting it as soon as I get a minute.
Back to top Go down
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:57 pm

O yes, I new you would order it. Can't wait for your install  
Back to top Go down
TaurusTuga

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:19 pm

Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:42 pm

Worth while waiting and watching Sim,certainly a mod on my list.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:45 am

Nice one Sim, will look forward to your findings & Install.  
Back to top Go down
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:40 pm

The installation didn't go to plan, after close inspection of hose 22 I didn't feel the adapter would be suitable in that position, It's too short to get the adapter in before the bend in the pipe and I got a feeling the hose might kink?, I've gone back to the idea of fitting an adapter in the bypass hose and ordered one of suitable size so that's all I'm waiting for now, I've wired the gauge in and had it working with a sensor in some warm water and it works well, I'm impressed with it's novelty factor too!  Laughing
Back to top Go down
TaurusTuga

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:05 pm

simbo wrote:
…I've gone back to the idea of fitting an adapter in the bypass hose and ordered one of suitable size so that's all I'm waiting for now, I've wired the gauge in and had it working with a sensor in some warm water and it works well, I'm impressed with it's novelty factor too!  Laughing

First step: didn't go well, but of course you didn't give a chance to give up: I WANT ANOTHER ONE WITH OTHER SIZE!!  
And if the Koso works well on warm water it's only a matter of time to install all and the "temperature will rock it"           

Sim……i am watching very heedful with this and the other "bypass the redline tacho"     

I am still waiting for the reply about the "later models having dual coils":7348:
Back to top Go down
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:02 pm

That looks even better now we have seen it twinkle    Will be great to see the final installation with a    from Simbo on top  
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:43 am

Looks bloody good. We all know if anyone can get it to run perfectly & work out any hiccups, it will be you Sim. Looking forward to your final install thumbs up.  
Back to top Go down
TaurusTuga

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:34 am

Mr Intruder wrote:
Looks bloody good. We all know if anyone can get it to run perfectly & work out any hiccups, it will be you Sim. Looking forward to your final install thumbs up.  

Back to top Go down
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:28 pm

Fitted and working!    Fan kicks in just as the gauge is about to hit 102C  that's 3C before it's supposed to? whether that's due to the sensor being slightly away from the cylinders or the gauge is slightly inaccurate? or even the fan sensor being inaccurate? who knows lol, To fit the sensor adapter I just used two G clamps to squash the pipe either side of the Joint in the bypass hose to lose minimal coolant while I took the plastic joint out and slipped the adapter in.

This is what it replaced

Here's the fan kicking in 
Back to top Go down
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:35 pm

That is great to see, you realy is the man. Well done Simbo

Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:36 pm

Well done Sim,glad to see you stuck at it and got it to work.
Back to top Go down
Ken1964
Valued Member

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:09 pm

That seems like a modification that is open to even the likes of I, extremely well done Mr Simbo Sir.
Back to top Go down
TaurusTuga

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:32 pm

Great Sim you did it again, you're the man…   
What is the size in mm of the sensor adapter? Can you leave the link here?

Perhaps after the tacho this will be the next one…i hope Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:57 pm

It's an 8mm 1/8 npt fuel pressure gauge adapter (internal diameter) but there's various types on eBay that could be used for the same thing, I chose this because it's solid (just seal the sensor with PTFE tape) as opposed to having 3 seals (either end + sensor) to make up.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110950968481?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Last edited by simbo on Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Proudtexson
VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:15 pm

Good Job Sim.    
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:01 am

That looks great Sim, job very well done.    
Back to top Go down
kardax

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:54 am

Excellent, well done! Thanks for the great pictures. This might be the easiest way to install the sensor, so I need to consider this also.
Back to top Go down
TaurusTuga

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:46 pm

simbo wrote:
It's an 8mm 1/8 npt fuel pressure gauge adapter (internal diameter) but there's various types on eBay that could be used for the same thing, I chose this because it's solid (just seal the sensor with PTFE tape) as opposed to having 3 seals (either end + sensor) to make up.

Thanks Sim for your kindly attention to share with all your knowledge and experience.   
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:29 pm

Hi Yeah I can't see why not if you can find somewhere suitable for the temperature sensor boss to be fitted? I can't see a By-pass pipe for the water pump on the VX schematic? Is there one? so I presume it would have to be fitted on one of the flow pipes somewhere between the cylinder and and water pump to give a reasonably accurate reading.
Back to top Go down
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Sun May 21, 2017 8:29 pm

You'll probably be able to get one from car spares shop or they might order one in? I'm not sure where you'd mount it on the VX as it doesn't seem to have a by pass hose on the thermostat?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   

Back to top Go down

Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2