Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel

Go down 
+5
OldManYam
simbo
MarcinG
Mr Intruder
ashley_mcpherson
9 posters
AuthorMessage
ashley_mcpherson
ashley_mcpherson

Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel Empty
PostSubject: Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel   Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 2:39 pm

Apologies if this already has a thread, I did look and couldn't see one.

I have seen a few M&C800s with much bigger and wider tyres, and love the look.

I am wondering if this requires a bigger wheel and/or any other mods (rear brake, suspension, shaft position, etc.).

Can the bike take a bigger tyre as is? if so, what's the max size?

Any thoughts/input/advice(/link to an existing thread!) would be greatly appreciated
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel   Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 5:28 pm

I can't remember but I did know.  Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel 852880 
I did look into it but the rim will pull the tyre in so a wider tyre is only minimal extra width in reality. Others may disagree.
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel   Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 9:00 pm

200mm if I remember but Dave is right...it will hardly increase due to rim pulling it back.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel   Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 9:15 pm

I couldn't remember what the stock size was!  hyst It's a 170 stock and there's a gap of 15mm between the tyre and shaft drive so a 200 would fit but like the others have said, it would probably go upwards rather than outwards and give a size of 190 wide, that's 10mm either leaving a 5mm gap between tyre and shaft drive, a 200 has been fitted and there's one on a bike in the showroom somewhere? a bobber from memory with white walls.
Back to top Go down
OldManYam
Very Valued VIP Member
OldManYam

PostSubject: Re: Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel   Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 9:59 pm

Hi folks,

Just to throw a different perspective in the pot ..... whilst a wider tyre may look nice, it will probably dull the steering response slightly .... not that important on a cruiser .... but worth mentioning.  

Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel 3005623951  Yam
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel   Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 10:59 pm

There are only certain 200 tyres that fit so well worth checking before you buy.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel   Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 11:50 pm

simbo wrote:
a 200 has been fitted and there's one on a bike in the showroom somewhere? a bobber from memory with white walls.

My apologies!   Embarassed  this was the bobber I was thinking of, the front tyre was wider! a 150 instead of the stock 130, sorry, I still agree that a 200 rear could be fitted without clearance issue though.
https://www.suzuki800.com/t93-2004-suzuki-vl800-bobber
Back to top Go down
ashley_mcpherson
ashley_mcpherson

PostSubject: Re: Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel   Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel Icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2014 8:16 am

Thanks for all the info chaps, much appreciated. I think I will stick with my stock tyres then and add big fat tyres to the wishlist
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel   Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel Icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2014 8:32 am

Volusia with 360 at the back...that would look...unique :)
Back to top Go down
TaurusTuga
TaurusTuga

PostSubject: Re: Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel   Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel Icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2014 12:15 pm

Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel Suzi_b10

I took this from a site but unfortunately i don't saved the link when they said that is really a M800.
Another one:
http://www.motorcycleforums.net/forum/boulevard/35161-m50-200-rear-tire.html
Back to top Go down
ashley_mcpherson
ashley_mcpherson

PostSubject: Re: Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel   Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel Icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2014 12:34 pm

mmm looks great with fat tyres. I might have to put a 200 on the front and a 360 on the back of my bike. just need to figure out the shaft and rear brake etc.
the gold one in the pic is an intruder but looks to be the 1800 by the engine angle, exhaust and rear disk
Back to top Go down
TaurusTuga
TaurusTuga

PostSubject: Re: Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel   Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel Icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2014 4:03 pm

ashley_mcpherson wrote:
mmm looks great with fat tyres. I might have to put a 200 on the front and a 360 on the back of my bike. just need to figure out the shaft and rear brake etc.
the gold one in the pic is an intruder but looks to be the 1800 by the engine angle, exhaust and rear disk

In the site i remember having read that they wanted to build a M800 with all the specs from a 1800 "but shorter" and introducing those personal handmade details to make it exclusive.

But in yours, if you want to put a 200 (if was 170 no problem) you have to change all the front as all the back with a 360 as you know.
Back to top Go down
kardax
kardax

PostSubject: Re: Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel   Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel Icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2014 4:21 pm

Just notice, that in that youtube video, the rim has been modified by delta-customs (http://www.delta-custom-bikes.de), and the rear tire is actually 200/60/16. That is the reason, it looks so wide & good. Also smaller fender makes tire look bigger.

They will modify the original rim (that you send to them) upto 210, which already requires swing arm modification (which you also need to send to them). Nice, but as you can imagine, reeeeeallly expesive...
Back to top Go down
ashley_mcpherson
ashley_mcpherson

PostSubject: Re: Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel   Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel Icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2014 4:47 pm

Maybe I'll just save this plan for after I win the lottery then. There's plenty of other, cheaper, mods on my to do list to keep me busy
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel   Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2014 10:40 am

Thats the thing to do, get the simple and cheaper ones done first. Sometimes more dearer mods dont have the biggest affect, the cheaper ones do
Back to top Go down
TaurusTuga
TaurusTuga

PostSubject: Re: Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel   Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 5:02 pm

Well Guys&Lady Ashley
I made a mistake saying that a 170 in a M800 oem rim at front no problem.
All in the brand tyres i checked online only have the 140x90xM16.
And for the rear 170X80xM15 after this, they have nothing at all, only with other rim sizes.
But in the standard measures for the M800 they have the WWW (wide white side wall's tyres  Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel 3498837457)  

If i am wrong, please leave here the site with bigger sizes that it will fit for the standard rim's, without changing anything, ok? Thanks
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel   Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 5:22 pm

The rear tyre will definitely take a Metzler 880 200\70hb15, allegedly without any issues of clearance.
Back to top Go down
TaurusTuga
TaurusTuga

PostSubject: Re: Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel   Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 11:31 pm

Mr Intruder wrote:
The rear tyre will definitely take a Metzler 880 200\70hb15, allegedly without any issues of clearance.

Ok, but with after .../80/M15, there's none.

Since you say that it will fit without any problem with the 200/70/M15 how about changing also the front tyre, for instance:
150/80 M16 front
200/70 M15 rear

Can you say if we can get any problem with the frame so close to the ground since the height is less than the standard ones?
Adjust the spring preload rear shock absorber? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel   Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 7:29 pm

Never a good idea to go fat on the front
Back to top Go down
TaurusTuga
TaurusTuga

PostSubject: Re: Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel   Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 7:47 pm

captain crash wrote:
Never a good idea to go fat on the front
And why? Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel 804997 Perhaps too much weight on the handlebar when riding?

Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel Iron10

Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel Bobber10
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel   Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 7:59 pm

If you like the idea of a bigger front tyre then go for it, the handling of the bike will be compromised though. Each to his own.
Back to top Go down
TaurusTuga
TaurusTuga

PostSubject: Re: Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel   Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 10:27 pm

Hi Dave Mr I
"Since you say that it will fit without any problem with the 200/70/M15 how about changing also the front tyre, for instance:
150/80 M16 front
200/70 M15 rear
Can you say if we can get any problem with the frame so close to the ground since the height is less than the standard ones?
Adjust the spring preload rear shock absorber? Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel Icon_rolleyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel   Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Maximum Tyre Size for Stock Rear Wheel
Page 1 of 1