Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Inverted Risers

Go down 
+6
fat intruder
Mr Intruder
katsd
simbo
peardrop3
ashley_mcpherson
10 posters
AuthorMessage
ashley_mcpherson
ashley_mcpherson

Inverted Risers Empty
PostSubject: Inverted Risers   Inverted Risers Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 11:23 am

This appears to be a slightly unusual issue as I have searched the forum and can only find people facing the opposite problem!

Everybody seems to want to adjust their handle bars closer to them, further away from the front of the bike.

I have the exact opposite issue. I am 6'6" and have long arms and legs. I've got my forward controls kit giving me a few inches extra leg room, and I am also thinking to get a low profile seat, but I always feel like the bars are too close to me. 

I am thinking to move the handle bars upwards and away from me, and have been looking at ways to do this at minimal to no cost, and was wondering if i could invert my existing risers (2013 M800).

If possible, I am sure this would give me the effect I want, but I am worried that it would look pretty crap and spoil the outline of the bike.

Please can I have any thoughts/opinions/musings from anyone here?? Even (especially) the negative ones!

So, I am asking... A: is this possible, and B: will it look shit?
Back to top Go down
ashley_mcpherson
ashley_mcpherson

Inverted Risers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inverted Risers   Inverted Risers Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 11:24 am

I have done a quick and shoddy mock up in Paint... Before...
Back to top Go down
ashley_mcpherson
ashley_mcpherson

Inverted Risers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inverted Risers   Inverted Risers Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 11:26 am

Inverted Risers Non-in11
Back to top Go down
ashley_mcpherson
ashley_mcpherson

Inverted Risers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inverted Risers   Inverted Risers Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 11:26 am

and After... (excuse the lack of photoshopping skills!!)

Inverted Risers Invert10
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

Inverted Risers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inverted Risers   Inverted Risers Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 3:21 pm

Try it in real life Ash as everyone has a different outlook on positions that suit THEM & nobody else & anyway what have you got to lose except some time to actually do it?
The only possible down side may be a bit of back ache from reaching forward to the new position.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Inverted Risers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inverted Risers   Inverted Risers Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 4:37 pm

ashley_mcpherson wrote:
 I am sure this would give me the effect I want, but I am worried that it would look pretty crap and spoil the outline of the bike.

Please can I have any thoughts/opinions/musings from anyone here?? Even (especially) the negative ones!

So, I am asking... A: is this possible, and B: will it look shit?

It's a capital from me  Inverted Risers 804997 Get some Drag bars with less pull back, I know they'll cost money but it'll look better.
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

Inverted Risers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inverted Risers   Inverted Risers Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 6:30 pm

That looks OK to me - as Pete says, try it & see.  It's only a twenty minute job
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

Inverted Risers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inverted Risers   Inverted Risers Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 6:46 pm

I must agree, it costs nothing to try it & it looks fine to me.
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

Inverted Risers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inverted Risers   Inverted Risers Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 7:35 pm

different risers and change the bars weather you get smaller risers and higher bars (apes) or bigger risers and a straighter bar is up to you. but for the mean time or if you want to wait till you have a little cash spare to get em just do what you said and give it a go who care's if it looks a bit naff for a while least your'll be confertable
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

Inverted Risers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inverted Risers   Inverted Risers Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 8:07 pm

Looks alright to me, different thats for sure but don't look bad, just different to what we are used to
Back to top Go down
Mossabe10
Prospect
Mossabe10

Inverted Risers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inverted Risers   Inverted Risers Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2014 1:36 pm

a little late on this but I would love to see you what the outcome was, I am also 6'3" and I feel like the bars are too close to me and would like to install drag bars to maybe help with this.
Back to top Go down
ashley_mcpherson
ashley_mcpherson

Inverted Risers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inverted Risers   Inverted Risers Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2014 9:47 pm

right, early next week i'm gonna get the tools out and invert my risers. I'll post before and after pics and take her out for a ride and give you chaps a verdict.

I have a funny feeling I can guess the outcome though; great ride, but will look shit. I'll report back in the next week or so.
Back to top Go down
ashley_mcpherson
ashley_mcpherson

Inverted Risers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inverted Risers   Inverted Risers Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2014 9:56 pm

Also, just been googling and it appears that this inverted riser idea is a standard mod in the world of bobber conversions...

Inverted Risers Bou3

Inverted Risers Bou1

Inverted Risers Maxresdefault

Inverted Risers Bou2
Back to top Go down
ashley_mcpherson
ashley_mcpherson

Inverted Risers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inverted Risers   Inverted Risers Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2014 9:58 pm

I'm gonna give it a bash and see what happens. If anyone can give me some tips on this job, it would be very much appreciated
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Inverted Risers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inverted Risers   Inverted Risers Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2014 10:41 pm

I didn't like it on the top pics, but looking at the bobber style? they look better! I'll look forward to your findings  Inverted Risers 3498837457
Back to top Go down
ashley_mcpherson
ashley_mcpherson

Inverted Risers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inverted Risers   Inverted Risers Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2014 12:01 am

Yeah I must admit, I'm much keener to give it a try seeing it in real life. I'm thinking perhaps my hack job in Paint didn't really do it justice!! I'll give it a bash in the week and see how it goes.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

Inverted Risers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inverted Risers   Inverted Risers Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2014 8:17 am

The guy in the picture makes it look not so good, a tall guy with less weight would make it look a lot better when being ridden. The pic of the bike with the inverted rises looks fine to me, just not the one of the guy on it because he doesn't have the height.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

Inverted Risers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inverted Risers   Inverted Risers Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2014 7:59 pm

I agree looks ok on the bike but needs a tall guy to not look wrong when being rode
Back to top Go down
ashley_mcpherson
ashley_mcpherson

Inverted Risers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inverted Risers   Inverted Risers Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2014 8:32 pm

Inverted Risers 20141110
Back to top Go down
ashley_mcpherson
ashley_mcpherson

Inverted Risers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inverted Risers   Inverted Risers Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2014 8:33 pm

Inverted Risers 20141111
Back to top Go down
ashley_mcpherson
ashley_mcpherson

Inverted Risers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inverted Risers   Inverted Risers Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2014 8:34 pm

Inverted Risers 20141112
Back to top Go down
ashley_mcpherson
ashley_mcpherson

Inverted Risers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inverted Risers   Inverted Risers Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2014 8:43 pm

So I've done it, and I'm gonna stick with it. 
I'm not overly happy about the look of it to be honest, I think she looks like a spooked horse now!
That said, the improvement in comfort AND handling more than makes up for the naff look. 
As you can see, I'm a wee bit taller than the lad in the previous photo, and it is soo much more comfortable. 
I am 6'6" and love it, but I reckon you're gonna want to be at least 6'2" for this to be a good move. You need a long reach for maneuvering round slow tight turns. 
The handling at speed though is amazing for me now. I have always had the entire bike well below my centre of gravity bur now I feel like I sit in the bike rather than on it, if that makes any sense. 
I may upgrade to some different risers and bars in the future to improve the look, but this mod has so far cost me nothing but about 25 minutes of really easy work.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Inverted Risers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inverted Risers   Inverted Risers Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2014 8:53 pm

I can understand why you want to reverse them! Fuck! Fuck!! you are BIG!!!  affraid  This might sound strange? But they'll look good once you have the seat cowl fitted Inverted Risers 3498837457  The reason I say that is because I sat on a Victory today with a single seat and ape hangers which had a similar look, Nice pipes too!  Inverted Risers 102087026
Back to top Go down
ashley_mcpherson
ashley_mcpherson

Inverted Risers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inverted Risers   Inverted Risers Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2014 9:00 pm

Agreed, the seat cowl might take it in a slightly bobber-ish direction which I'm ok with. I think the chin spoilet I've ordered might help too but we'll see. 
And yes, I'd not actually seen a photo of me sat on my bike before and I do kind of make it look like a monkey bike!!
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

Inverted Risers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inverted Risers   Inverted Risers Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2014 9:42 pm

Looks great Ash, you have done a mod that works so well for you. lgd

Be careful though Ash, I heard that a Jack has some beans and has planted them. Inverted Risers 852880     Fuck your BIG. affraid Inverted Risers 249703
Back to top Go down
ashley_mcpherson
ashley_mcpherson

Inverted Risers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inverted Risers   Inverted Risers Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2014 10:54 am

Hahaha yeah I'll watch out for him!!
Back to top Go down
kardax
kardax

Inverted Risers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inverted Risers   Inverted Risers Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2014 11:23 am

BTW, have you Ash considered changing the handlebar to some a bit higher, for example some mini-ape, or z-bar? Those might give you better ergonomics.
I have seen quite nice matte black z-bars around, might look good on your bike against your matte pipes. But then again, it's a matter of taste...
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

Inverted Risers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inverted Risers   Inverted Risers Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2014 8:40 am

Is that a VL125 you're sat on Ashley ?

I'm only 5ft 6in ( 1.65 m to you young 'uns ) so I'm used to people looking bigger than me but if you say it's Sunday pal, my Yorkshire Puddings will go straight into t'oven!
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

Inverted Risers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inverted Risers   Inverted Risers Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2014 8:53 am

kardax wrote:
BTW, have you Ash considered changing the handlebar to some a bit higher, for example some mini-ape, or z-bar

Or maybe part of the BT Tower in London  ? lol!

( sorry mate, no more size related banter now, I promise ! )
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

Inverted Risers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inverted Risers   Inverted Risers Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2014 10:13 am

looks like a lot better riding position for you mate and the bars look quite a bit higher than they where with the risers turned round Inverted Risers 2170595768
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

Inverted Risers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inverted Risers   Inverted Risers Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2014 5:41 pm

From those pictures it obviously a well thought out mod and it works so well  Inverted Risers 184121345
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Inverted Risers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inverted Risers   Inverted Risers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Inverted Risers
Page 1 of 1