Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rear Wheel Rubbing Against Drive Shaft

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr. Bobber
Prospect
Mr. Bobber

Rear Wheel Rubbing Against Drive Shaft Empty
PostSubject: Rear Wheel Rubbing Against Drive Shaft   Rear Wheel Rubbing Against Drive Shaft Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2015 1:27 pm

Hi all. As the title of the topic says, my rear wheel started rubbing against the drive shaft and I have no idea how this happened or what could be causing it. No pot holes or collisions have happened. The wheel was replaced at a shop two months ago with a Shinko Tour Master 150/90-15 but this problem just came up yesterday. Could it have gotten loose?

Trying to avoid taking it to the shop, I will be pulling it apart this weekend to see if I can figure out why it's doing this or how it happened.

Any hints about what should I look for as possible causes for this problem? This ever happened to anybody?  

Here are some visual aids:
Rear Wheel Rubbing Against Drive Shaft Img_0511
Rear Wheel Rubbing Against Drive Shaft Img_0512

Rear Wheel Rubbing Against Drive Shaft Img_0513
Thanks for your time! Hope someone out there can help!
Back to top Go down
stingray
Very Valued VIP Member
stingray

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Rubbing Against Drive Shaft   Rear Wheel Rubbing Against Drive Shaft Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2015 4:05 pm

Looks like the wheel is out of alignment, obviously check axle & adjusters, could the wheel be buckled?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Bobber
Prospect
Mr. Bobber

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Rubbing Against Drive Shaft   Rear Wheel Rubbing Against Drive Shaft Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2015 4:11 pm

The rim is straight and the wheel doesn't wobble when it runs. So I don't think it's buckled. I've looked for tutorials on how to adjust a shaft drive rear wheel and couldn't find any. Is it the same process as adjusting rear wheels on chain drive bike?
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Rubbing Against Drive Shaft   Rear Wheel Rubbing Against Drive Shaft Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2015 5:03 pm

No you cannot adjust the wheel at all as it is all tied together as a unit so to speak.
Have you tried to get the back wheel in the air & check the side to side play as if there is any it may mean the wheel bearings are worn out.
Another unlikely theory is that the tyre has slipped on the rim to the near side(shaft side) but to do this would mean that the tyre has been let down & has slipped into the rim BUT this is extremely unlikely. Check the tyre rim bead on each side, it should be parallel to the rim on BOTH sides.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Rubbing Against Drive Shaft   Rear Wheel Rubbing Against Drive Shaft Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2015 5:21 pm

Did they put the spacer back between the drive and wheel? That's the only thing that could move the wheel to the left.
Back to top Go down
stingray
Very Valued VIP Member
stingray

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Rubbing Against Drive Shaft   Rear Wheel Rubbing Against Drive Shaft Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2015 6:04 pm

simbo wrote:
Did they put the spacer back between the drive and wheel? That's the only thing that could move the wheel to the left.

This sounds the most likely, may even have put the spacer on the wrong side.
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Rubbing Against Drive Shaft   Rear Wheel Rubbing Against Drive Shaft Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2015 7:08 pm

That tyre looks way to big for that rim, it looks like they have fitted the wrong size. I know with my VX800 the new tyre looks wider that the old one but it is the correct size for my bike, some makes of tyres are physically bigger than others even though they have the same size stamped on them. I have just checked the correct size for your bike looks to be a 140/90-15, if they have fitted a 150 its oversize and may explain the lack of clearance.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Bobber
Prospect
Mr. Bobber

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Rubbing Against Drive Shaft   Rear Wheel Rubbing Against Drive Shaft Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2015 7:37 pm

Thanks for the help everyone. The bike has a spacer on the right side. I checked online and apparently it's where it's supposed to be. It's visible on the third picture of my original post. 
I'm hoping it's just a worn out bearing. I'm pulling it out either tonight or tomorrow and will definitely be looking for that spacer. I'll upload pictures to this thread when I do. Any more tips or suggestions are welcomed. Thanks again. I really hope I can work this out with out the need of a mechanic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Rubbing Against Drive Shaft   Rear Wheel Rubbing Against Drive Shaft Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear Wheel Rubbing Against Drive Shaft
Page 1 of 1