Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard

Go down 
+12
katsd
Andy1969
hawktheslayer
OldManYam
bigmal
Ken1964
DocSjulle
peardrop3
simbo
captain crash
fat intruder
Mr Intruder
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Empty
PostSubject: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2015 3:11 pm

If I have my saddle bags on, I can't use me helmet lock. So I moved it to the front mudguard. 

Here is the helmet lock from the rear, you need the key in it to remove it. As you can see there is on lug to hold it secure and a hole for the bolt to go through, that also holds it.

Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard 20150418_144502_zpsipganvxw

Here are the 2 holes drilled, that are need to relocate it where you want it. I put it on the front guard.

Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard 20150418_144536_zpsh3r26o9b

Here it is installed, much easier to use.

Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard 20150418_145447_zpssgvc7rln

I know some will say oh that is not as safe as where it was but it is safer for me. Firstly the guard there is very thick and strong. Secondly I can use it now, where it was I couldn't. Also I will be reinforcing the rear of the guard with sheet metal where it as at a later date.

I am now happier and it was simples, took 20 minutes to do.
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2015 3:49 pm

unless someone was to break the front mudguard I think it's fine where you put it and if your going to reinforce the mudguard then even better I probably wouldn't bother lol but I am a bit lazy hehe. Good job and made it usable not useless wear it used to be Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard 3498837457
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2015 4:53 pm

Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard 428386  Nice one davey, good job done there  Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard 276246
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2015 8:04 pm

Good idea and job Dave! the helmet lock in it's original position is bloody useless with bags on, which most cruisers have!  Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard 2170595768 oyili
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2015 9:11 pm

Glad you like it, simple but affective. Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard 3498837457
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2015 9:13 pm

best mods always are Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard 428386
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2015 9:18 pm

Yet another cracking idea Dave!
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2015 9:23 pm

In the top picture I can see you have bought something from Hogparts for £19.62p. Cmon davey spill the beans and tell us what it is. Seems like the old davey is finally back, 2 mods in one day, reminds me of the days when you had so many mods in your signature that they took up half a page when you posted  Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard 1993399755
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2015 9:29 pm

captain crash wrote:
In the top picture I can see you have bought something from Hogparts for £19.62p. Cmon davey spill the beans and tell us what it is. Seems like the old davey is finally back, 2 mods in one day, reminds me of the days when you had so many mods in your signature that they took up half a page when you posted  Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard 1993399755
Only some more highway pegs to replace the ones damaged when I had my RTA 20 moths ago. Nothing to adventurous.

PS, I put them on today & stripped a few electrical switches not mentioned anywhere on site as preventative medicine. So that made 4/5 mods done today, not 2.  Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard 852880
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2015 9:32 pm

As already said, Sounds like the old davey is finally back  Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard 184121345
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2015 9:33 pm

Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard 2170595768

I have only one time succeeded to use the lock for securing my helmet, without losing my patience and giving up.

My helmet has the quick release buckle, and I can only mount the lock through the small loop you pull to release it.

How do you guys lock it ?
Back to top Go down
Ken1964
Valued Member
Ken1964

PostSubject: Re: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2015 4:57 pm

Very well may also do this, it would be nice to use my lock, rather than an alternative  cable lock. 
Kim I think you are unfortunate, my quick release, seat belt latch type of helmet has a D ring. Could you not put the belt through the locking pin, just before the quick release possibly? Jut securing your helmet so that a quick grab doesn't allow them to take it, is often enough. If the criminal minded want something, they will get it.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2015 6:55 pm

Ken1964 wrote:
If the criminal minded want something, they will get it.
Yeah including the bike that its locked to  Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard 1993399755
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2015 7:58 pm

Great idea dave! msrke
Back to top Go down
OldManYam
Very Valued VIP Member
OldManYam

PostSubject: Re: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2015 10:27 pm

Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard 428386 To that Dave ! .... A great practical low-cost modification. Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard 184121345

Only possible issue could be the inner clearance of fastener to tyre, especially after adding any reinforcement (Would suitable 'penny' washers provide a useful reinforcement solution ?), - but I'm sure you will have thought of that. Only really mentioning the clearance issue so others are aware.

Glad to hear you are getting back into the swing of things .... best wishes Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard 3005623951 Yam
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

PostSubject: Re: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2015 11:29 pm

Damn clever, never thought of moving the actual lock! DOH! just thought of it as redundant, as I have SB too. Will be moving mine in the near future, will save carrying the feckin thing around Tesco's. Cheers Dave.......................Again proves the point about donations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Back to top Go down
Andy1969
lumpectomist
Andy1969

PostSubject: Re: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 6:59 pm

Hey Dave

Absolutely superb idea Dave, will be doing this mod on my M800 next week, I cant believe where Suzuki put the lock as most cruisers use saddlebags and the lock is then redundant, a very clever mod Dave  Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard 2170595768

Andy
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 7:40 pm

Cheers Andy. I was always wanting to use the lock but never able to. Love it where it is now, just be careful that you leave enough clearance for the dropping suspension. It only needs a few mm but that is easily overlooked on a mod like this.
Back to top Go down
Andy1969
lumpectomist
Andy1969

PostSubject: Re: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 7:44 pm

Cheers Dave, when I mark it for drilling I will get my wife to use her assets to compress the suspension   guttss just to check  lol
Back to top Go down
Andy1969
lumpectomist
Andy1969

PostSubject: Re: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2015 1:14 pm

Hi guys

Done my M800 this morning, took the mudguard off the bike because i would have drilled the tyre Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard 474255   thanks Dave i have now got a helmet lock that i can use, I put some big washers on the back to provide some extra support and some blue loctite on the bolt, nice easy mod  Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard 1218875559

Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard <a href=Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard IMAG0729_zpsohnqwbaq" />

Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard <a href=Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard IMAG0728_zpshjlqtkpm" />

Andy   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard 2650920580
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2015 1:40 pm

Nice job Andy  Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard 3498837457  just a pointer for anyone doing this mod: don't get loctite on the plastic fender, it makes it brittle and rots it away, use it very sparingly on the threads only and wipe any excess of straight away.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2015 2:24 pm

Good job Andy  Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard 184121345
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2015 2:43 pm

Looks like it was made to go there!
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2015 6:53 pm

Good one Andy, glad you can use it once more. Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard 3498837457
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2015 8:17 am

Haven't used a helmet lock since the eighties after coming back to my bike & finding just the buckles & a couple of inches of strap locked in place - oh how I chuckled !!!!  

Took mine off as it spoilt the line of the brace - but seeing this thread has made me think about putting where you have Dave.  No point with my last couple of lids as they were quick release, but the Bell is a tradition double-D ring
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2015 8:41 am

No worries, we are here to assist each other with ideas. Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Kiwi Steve
Kiwi Steve

PostSubject: Re: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2015 7:59 am

Finished my post 2010 M50/M800 helmet lock conversion.  I put the lock on the fairing to the front of the suspension tube where it is really accessible.  Also put it on with the lock pin uppermost and the closed in portion of the lock to the front to reduce water being blown into the lock itself.  That way, when the lock is open the small part of the lock pin sticks up and you can put your D-ring over it and it will hang there while you close the lock.

I had considered putting the lock on the trunk box mounting bracket I've just fixed to my bike.  Wisely I held the helmet and D-ring in place where I was thinking of putting the lock and there just wasn't enough space to get the helmet close enough to the lock because of the saddlebag below and trunk box above.

Now the lock is very accessible, hangs the helmet clear of the ground, and isn't too obtrusive.

Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Helmet11
Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Helmet10
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2015 4:54 pm

That's a more useful place  Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard 2170595768
Back to top Go down
Ken1964
Valued Member
Ken1964

PostSubject: Re: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2015 6:38 pm

Great job.
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2015 10:35 pm

Good useful mod.
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

PostSubject: Re: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2015 2:37 pm

lgd
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2016 7:22 pm

Here's yet another take on this excellent idea....

First a word about removing the lock.... Here's a close up of the original bolt:

Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Image_5

So you need one of these to remove it... Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard 038902004369lg

I didn't have one, but toolstation sell this nifty set for less than four quid...

Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard 92461

Once you've decided where to relocate the lock, you'll need to drill 2 holes - one for the bolt and one for a lug on the back of the lock.

As I like to stick my lid shiny side up on the sissy bar (in case it rains) I put the lock on the sissy bar luggage rack...

Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Image_6

And if wanted, I could use it to secure any luggage with a looped cable.

Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard 3005623951 To dave, for having the brainwave in the first place wagg
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

PostSubject: Re: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2016 8:22 pm

Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard 2645662097  Mal .......
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2016 8:27 pm

Looking at the photo now, I may flip it the other way up, might look more aesthetically pleasing.........

Yes, that's better... sssmily

Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Image_7
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2016 9:07 pm

Good placement Mal  Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard 2170595768
Back to top Go down
Old Luner
Valued Member
Old Luner

PostSubject: Re: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2016 5:02 am

Nice one Mal, that's given me an idea Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2016 10:19 am

Well thought out Mal  Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard 3498837457
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2016 9:30 pm

Good one Mal!
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2016 5:22 pm

Both good modifications for any bike  Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard 184121345
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard   Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Moved the Helmet Lock to Front Mud-Guard
Page 1 of 1