Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Top Box / Back Rest

Go down 
+7
v-twin
yorky
bigmal
simbo
Twojobmick
peardrop3
Mr Intruder
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

Top Box / Back Rest Empty
PostSubject: Top Box / Back Rest   Top Box / Back Rest Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2016 10:25 am

Just bought one of these ( LINKY )
Should be here within 10 & 21 days, pics & video will follow as soon as fitted & all lights working, Good price me thinks. Top Box / Back Rest 3498837457

Top Box / Back Rest Z Top Box / Back Rest ZTop Box / Back Rest 9k=
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Top Box / Back Rest   Top Box / Back Rest Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2016 2:14 pm

I bought one last November Dave, no bad but not had time etc to fit it yet!
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

PostSubject: Re: Top Box / Back Rest   Top Box / Back Rest Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2016 8:12 pm

Looks like the back end of an old Mercedes C Class Dave !
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Top Box / Back Rest   Top Box / Back Rest Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2016 8:41 pm

Looks a good addition at a bargain price!  Top Box / Back Rest 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Top Box / Back Rest   Top Box / Back Rest Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2016 9:06 pm

I will be fitting it with quick release electrics, for the lights. Also I will work out a quick release for the entire box. Should look good with all the lights working. I will do a full write up with pics when I fit it.
It's not something I want on my bike all the time, just when my daughter 23 year old daughter (Nikkita) pillions to the Ace Cafe in about a moths time and things like that. Top boxes are not my idea of an accessory that I want on my bike all the time but that is a good looking and very functional top box for the occasional use I will give it.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Top Box / Back Rest   Top Box / Back Rest Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2016 9:23 pm

That's a ridiculous price! Well done.
Have you sourced a good quick release electrical connector? I'll be doing the same on my fairing.

I was looking at these online.... No idea if they're any good....

[url=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/322042234776 ]https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/322042234776 [/url]

And these... [url=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/322061221134 ]https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/322061221134 [/url]
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

PostSubject: Re: Top Box / Back Rest   Top Box / Back Rest Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2016 6:27 am

Good find those Mal Top Box / Back Rest 3498837457
Back to top Go down
yorky
VIP Member
yorky

PostSubject: Re: Top Box / Back Rest   Top Box / Back Rest Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2016 7:52 am

bigmal wrote:
That's a ridiculous price! Well done.
Have you sourced a good quick release electrical connector? I'll be doing the same on my fairing.

I was looking at these online.... No idea if they're any good....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/322042234776

And these... https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/322061221134

....I have used the second one Mal...they are ok but they come in kit form and I found them very fiddly after a lot of sussing out how to assemble them.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Top Box / Back Rest   Top Box / Back Rest Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2016 8:12 am

I have the second one in various sizes but will still look and see what else is out there.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Top Box / Back Rest   Top Box / Back Rest Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2016 12:36 pm

yorky wrote:

....I have used the second one Mal...they are ok but they come in kit form and I found them very fiddly after a lot of sussing out how to assemble them.
Yes, I had heard that... but this looks like they're pre wired with a short length of wire on, so you just solder into that...

What I need to sus out is whether the cable included is beefy enough for the 12v socket I have plumbed straight into the battery, and might occasionally use for my tyre blower uperer... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Top Box / Back Rest   Top Box / Back Rest Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2016 8:51 pm

Just ordered 5 x 6 way electric connector ( LINKY ) as I need 5/6 connections with my top box for the lights. Bargain at £3.59 for 5 units, I have these at home but every other one it seems, apart from the one I need.

Top Box / Back Rest $_57
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

PostSubject: Re: Top Box / Back Rest   Top Box / Back Rest Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2016 9:06 pm

I have used them in the past, they work well, the only time I've had any problems is when I have tried to use a thicker cable and it would not fit in the hole with the little yellow grommets on, note to self, make sure I order the correct size for the cable I'm using next time Top Box / Back Rest 880307
Back to top Go down
Proudtexson
VIP Member
Proudtexson

PostSubject: Re: Top Box / Back Rest   Top Box / Back Rest Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2016 3:54 pm

Dave on Mine I wired the running lights and the stop lights together so the lights in that little spoiler all burn. I think it gives more visibility. Tex
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Top Box / Back Rest   Top Box / Back Rest Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2016 6:37 pm

Thanks for the tip Tex.  Top Box / Back Rest 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Top Box / Back Rest   Top Box / Back Rest Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2016 7:42 pm

Handy looking topbox Dave, and will definitely be getting some of those plugs for the bike rebuild  Top Box / Back Rest 643587
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

PostSubject: Re: Top Box / Back Rest   Top Box / Back Rest Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2016 8:10 am

bigmal wrote:
yorky wrote:

Yes, I had heard that... but this looks like they're pre wired with a short length of wire on, so you just solder into that...

What I need to sus out is whether the cable included is beefy enough for the 12v socket I have plumbed straight into the battery, and might occasionally use for my tyre blower uperer... Rolling Eyes
Looking at the listing Mal, they rate them at 14a and suitable for 0.5mm to 1.5mm cable. You would assume that they would cable  them up with sufficiently sized cable to carry 14a, that would be 1.5mm, so a quick question to them to confirm would be wise I think. 
Of course, the answer to your question depends on what size cable you put in as a supply as well as whats on the connector. Ideally you'd want to use the same size cable for both or at least match to the smaller size and fused accordingly . A standard car cigarette lighter socket is usually fused at 15a just for info.
You can use a 1.5mm cable for up to 15a,depending on the length of run ... front to back of the bike ( approx 2.5m ) will give a drop of about 0.9v meaning you'd then need to de-rate that cable current carrying capacity to approx 14a. But that should still give you enough capacity to run most things you'd need from the socket. Using Ohms Law :

14(a) x 12(v) = 168 watts of load
15(a) x 12(v) = 180 watts of load

As your tyre "pumper-upper" is designed to run off a cigarette lighter socket, it shouldn't pull more then 15a anyway so it should be fine, just don't use it for a portable kettle ! lol!  ... hope thats of some help mate
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Top Box / Back Rest   Top Box / Back Rest Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2016 10:40 am

Wow! I didn't realise you were as clever as that Wink

Seriously, that's cracking info, thanks very much. Most of the time it will be only used for a phone or something. So that should be fine. And certainly looks easy being pre wired....
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Top Box / Back Rest   Top Box / Back Rest Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2016 7:17 pm

wow  That box looks shit hot at that price, Im looking forward to your fitting it and findings
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Top Box / Back Rest   Top Box / Back Rest Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2016 7:49 am

Just bear with me Crash.    Top Box / Back Rest 3005623951
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Top Box / Back Rest   Top Box / Back Rest Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2016 7:13 pm

An update, posiibly a bit premature.
Doc Cox popped over yesterday and rewired the top box in to the bike using the connectors shown higher up the page, Now it can easily come off the bike withh a few turns of some allen bolts and diconection of the wiring connectors.
It's lights are for the American market so the running lights/brake lights needed to be changed as there was just one white dual filament pushfit bulb in the sides. Anyway I ordered a surface mount pushfit red LED for both sides. these are currently used as running lights but will soon have some surface mount pushfit anmer LED's for both sides so I can connect up the indicators, which are already in the plugs Doc Cox fitted. I have also ordered a knight rider/ flashing eye level surface mount led brake light, so as soon as these all come I will do another video. The good thing about theses brake lights is that they are bright and at eye level, anything that helps has goot be done to stay alive. Fuck what the old bill say, I don't think they will be that interested as I have a huge solidly light brake light as well.

Current videos ain't that great but I will do a much better one when it has everything working as I want it to.

Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Top Box / Back Rest   Top Box / Back Rest Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2016 8:43 pm

Looks cool! I like the brake light  Top Box / Back Rest 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Top Box / Back Rest   Top Box / Back Rest Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2016 9:52 pm

A steal at the price. Looks classy too unlike many other top boxes.  Top Box / Back Rest 3498837457
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Top Box / Back Rest   Top Box / Back Rest Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2016 10:52 pm

Looking good dave,  it will be interesting to see the indicators working as well Top Box / Back Rest 184121345
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Top Box / Back Rest   Top Box / Back Rest Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2016 9:28 pm

Looking good Dave!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top Box / Back Rest   Top Box / Back Rest Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Top Box / Back Rest
Page 1 of 1