Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dayton rev counter wiring problem

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
G.Terence
Valued Member
G.Terence

Dayton rev counter wiring problem Empty
PostSubject: Dayton rev counter wiring problem   Dayton rev counter wiring problem Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2016 5:47 pm

Good evening all,
Just fitted a Dayton rev counter. I think my problem is the pulse pick up point. The instrument comes to life, has a quick flash around the dial and settles at about 660 rpm. As soon the throttle is bliped the needle goes to zero.
I have tried the white pulse wire to a coil white first, then the  pulse lead to the orange lead on the coil and finally using the plug lead.
All produced very much the same results.
It could be a case of just not using the right coil, so the question is which coil should I be using and where the hell is it?

G.Terence
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

PostSubject: Re: Dayton rev counter wiring problem   Dayton rev counter wiring problem Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 11:29 am

Hi Terry, shouldn't make any difference which coil you use, as each one fires at the same interval as the other.
My rev counter isn't a Daytona one but as far as the signal cable is concerned it should be the same connection I would think ? 

I simply soldered a spade terminal on to my signal cable from the tachometer and connected the white cable of the coil on to the piggy back, then connected that to the + connection on the primary side of the coil ( white cable - the orange / black is the negative ). It sound like you have the live and negative for the instrument correctly wired as the needle is doing a "sweep" around the dial when you power it up.

Not sure what's going on with yours ..... When you say you tried the "plug lead" ..... Have you made a physical connection to that or just wrapped the signal cable around the HT lead ?
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Dayton rev counter wiring problem   Dayton rev counter wiring problem Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 5:45 pm

Terry - the white wire is the pulse wire.  I piggy-backed mine onto the white wire coming off the left-hand coil (as you're sitting on it).  Bear in mind that mine is an '01 model, so check the wiring diagram for your year - you're looking for the non-common colour - from what I remember, both coils have an orange/white, which is the negative.  It's a bit of a pig to get to, but I had no luck on the plug lead either.  Did you remember to set the pulse mode to "1 pulse to 2 revolutions" on the unit ?
Back to top Go down
G.Terence
Valued Member
G.Terence

PostSubject: Re: Dayton rev counter wiring problem   Dayton rev counter wiring problem Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2016 8:53 am

Good day all,
System now up and running, not to sure about the Pulses per revolution setting. Am I correct in thinking that some where on this site I have read that in fifth gear 600 rpm gives 10 mph.
Therefore  1800 rpm =30 mph / 2400 rpm = 40 mph / 3000 rpm = 50 mph / 3600 = 60 mph etc.
The only way I can achieve there results is by having the rev counter pulse rate set at 2 pulses per revolution. Is this any thing to do with each cylinder having two sparking plugs? I am really out of my depth on this one!

G.Terence
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Dayton rev counter wiring problem   Dayton rev counter wiring problem Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2016 9:55 am

Hi Terry, if you have a look at the "cheap electronic tacho " thread it gives the settings for the pulses for twin Spark plug models.
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Dayton rev counter wiring problem   Dayton rev counter wiring problem Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2016 10:30 am

Terry - OOPS - it's 1 pulse per 2 rev - just checked on mine.  Feel like a right fookin muppet now !!!   Sorry to have misled you.

Sim, or anyone else in admin - can you allow me to edit my original post (or could you do it) so that anyone else following my instructions will not be pulling their hair out?  It need to read "1 pulse per 2 revolution"

Terry - sorry for the distress I've caused you
Back to top Go down
G.Terence
Valued Member
G.Terence

PostSubject: Re: Dayton rev counter wiring problem   Dayton rev counter wiring problem Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2016 10:42 am

Hi Dave,
Not a problem, I do think one of the great benefits of this site is the exchange of information. If we were not able to rapidly seek advise and share experiences we really would be tearing our hair out. I have always had gold plated advice on this forum. In this case you have been down graded to silver. Never the less I owe you and Twojobs Mick a pint each.

G.Terence
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Dayton rev counter wiring problem   Dayton rev counter wiring problem Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2016 11:17 am

Wot - no redemption for fessing up to my fuck up. !  What you set at now ?
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

PostSubject: Re: Dayton rev counter wiring problem   Dayton rev counter wiring problem Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2016 1:38 pm

Used to getting gold myself ..... Wife tells me I always come first !!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dayton rev counter wiring problem   Dayton rev counter wiring problem Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dayton rev counter wiring problem
Page 1 of 1