Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mustang seat v stock

Go down 
+9
alfie92
hawktheslayer
Skidalot
v-twin
yorky
bigmal
Twojobmick
simbo
katsd
13 posters
AuthorMessage
KeithW
KeithW

Mustang seat v stock Empty
PostSubject: Mustang seat v stock   Mustang seat v stock Icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2017 9:37 pm

Hi guys
I've  had a look at the old threads regarding this subject but decided to start a new one.

When I went down to look at the new bike for the first time I was shocked at how hard the stock seat is. So the question is, does anybody manage to do 300+ miles a day in reasonable comfort on a stock seat? I am used to Mustang seats (I've had two on previous bikes) but with the US dollar exchange being so bad the price has gone up by £200 since I last bought one - and that's buying it direct from the states. Custom cruisers is showing one on the site at a reasonable price but it is for a pre 2009 bike.

If I get a Mustang seat it would be the 79620, studded wide tourer with a backrest. If anyone has one fitted to their bike I would be interested in a photo of how it looks. That way I might be able to convince the wife it would be a good investment!

Cheers

KeithW
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Mustang seat v stock   Mustang seat v stock Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2017 7:49 pm

It'd be a lot cheaper to have the stock seat rebuilt by a custom seat maker using different foam, maybe with a gel pad.  And at the same time, have it recovered in something more exclusive.  I had mine done in black leather with grey diamond stitching - cost about £80
Back to top Go down
KeithW
KeithW

PostSubject: Re: Mustang seat v stock   Mustang seat v stock Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2017 6:32 pm

I now know that I've got to do something about the seat. Options are, have the existing seat rebuilt, modify an existing mustang seat from a vtx1300s, or buy a new one. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has used a seat builder and what their experience was. I've been down the road of gel pads and added foam on a stock seat and it wasn't worth the effort, so l don't hold out much hope for that option - the seat pan has got to be changed. The vtx seat has hardly been used and if it can be modified to fit properly looks to be my cheapest option. Buying a new one is probably the quickest option but it is a lot of dosh and used seats are like hens teeth. It's got to be sorted by the end of March.

KeithW
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Mustang seat v stock   Mustang seat v stock Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2017 12:28 pm

Google Tony Archer seats at Huddersfield where I had my seats redone. Both seats were recovered, gel pads inserted & the passenger one was made wider & deeper than std as it was cutting Rosie in half, note I'm not saying she has a fat arse as the std seat is a cutting tool disquised as a seat!
Very quick job, dropped in on Monday & collected on Thursday for less than £100-, can't fault the improvements as I have sciatica & Rosie has bad hip & knee & the seat means we can ride all day now not just a 100 miles as we used to pre modding!
Back to top Go down
KeithW
KeithW

PostSubject: Re: Mustang seat v stock   Mustang seat v stock Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2017 12:28 pm

Thanks for the reply, Peter. I have spoken to Tony Archers and they won't alter the seat pan, they just alter the foam and insert gelpads. They wont touch the Mustang seat I've got either. I've also spoken to Motorbike seats.co.uk with the same result. Can't get a reply from Dragon seating or Saxon Seats! This is the same loop I got into in 2001 for my first Shadow and 2008 for the second. I do have some experiences of gelpads and refoaming and in the end it just added to the cost of getting my first Mustang seat! Whatever happens I much prefer to have a backrest and I'm not sure if I alter the seat pan that one of the "off the shelf" backrests will still fit. And I don't have much confidence in re foaming the original as it looks quite shallow.

I would be interested to look at some pictures of your riders seat if you have any. I'm not bothered about the rear seat. That's just there to look good with the saddlebags and protect the rear mudguard from my tent when it's loaded up. The wife hasn't been on the bike since she had her knees replaced.  

My main hope at the moment is that when Trump actually gets into office the US dollar will plummet and make the Mustang seat a much better deal!!

KeithW
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Mustang seat v stock   Mustang seat v stock Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2017 1:12 pm

Hi you can always get one of the seat back rests that are on e-bay & bolt it onto the seat base Keith? Only a thought obviously, or you could search out what fellow members have done on the forum search pages about seats?
Back to top Go down
KeithW
KeithW

PostSubject: Re: Mustang seat v stock   Mustang seat v stock Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2017 12:26 pm

Well, I've weakened and ordered the Mustang seat and it should arrive next week. I was, however, in a coma for a couple of days with "empty wallet" syndrome! I've bought whole working cars for less!
I looked at getting the seat re-upholstered and getting a backrest but that would cost around £250 and I wasn't sure that it would work for me. So, out came the malt to comfort my nerves while I thought about it and, in the end, decided I deserved it. So I bought it.

KeithW
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Mustang seat v stock   Mustang seat v stock Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2017 5:46 pm

KeithW wrote:
Well, I've weakened and ordered the Mustang seat and it should arrive next week. 

KeithW

Your bum will thank you for that! I've never heard a bad word about mustang seats, I'll look forward to hearing your opinion Keith    Mustang seat v stock 3498837457
Back to top Go down
KeithW
KeithW

PostSubject: Re: Mustang seat v stock   Mustang seat v stock Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2017 4:52 pm

Well, it was supposed to arrive between 25th Jan and Feb 3 and it arrived this afternoon! It is a much heavier arrangement than the stock seat, looks great and feels comfortable. I think it pushes me forward about an inch which is fine for me. the total weight of the stock seat is 6lbs and the mustang, without the backrest, is 16lbs.
I used ebay's Global shipping program for the first time and it's taken 12 days.The only criticism I have is that the tracking is haphazard at best and paypal rip you off in the currency exchange. Hopefully I won't have to buy from USA directly again.

I had a Mustang seat on my last bike so I knew what I was getting. The most I did on it in one day was 380 miles but most years I go into Europe and do 12 - 1500 miles in 7 or 8 days with no problem. I'm expecting this one to be much the same. If the rain stays away the inaugural ride will be on Saturday.

KeithW
Back to top Go down
KeithW
KeithW

PostSubject: Re: Mustang seat v stock   Mustang seat v stock Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2017 6:11 pm

Normal service has been resumed. A quick 120 mile round trip justifies the decision to get the seat. It also looks so much better than the stock seat so, all in all, a really good decision.

KeithW
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Mustang seat v stock   Mustang seat v stock Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2017 7:24 pm

That's good Keith  Mustang seat v stock 2170595768   they're supposed to get comfier as they break in too, piccies when you get a minute  Mustang seat v stock 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

PostSubject: Re: Mustang seat v stock   Mustang seat v stock Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2017 4:33 pm

Y
peardrop3 wrote:
Google Tony Archer seats at Huddersfield where I had my seats redone. Both seats were recovered, gel pads inserted & the passenger one was made wider & deeper than std as it was cutting Rosie in half ......  she has a fat arse and the std seat was like a cutting tool rather than a seat!
Very quick job, dropped in on Monday & collected on Thursday for less than £100-, can't fault the improvements as I have sciatica & Rosie has bad hip & knee & the seat means we can ride all day now not just a 100 miles as we used to pre modding!
Hey Rosie, have you seen what Peter's saying about your bottom ( see bold italics above ).        sssmily
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Mustang seat v stock   Mustang seat v stock Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2017 4:37 pm

I'm safe see cos she don't read the post I put up hear so ner ner Mick!
Back to top Go down
KeithW
KeithW

PostSubject: Re: Mustang seat v stock   Mustang seat v stock Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2017 8:29 pm

I've taken some pictures of my new seat and, if this works, they should appear below!!

Mustang seat v stock SAM_3477_zpsdcdd5xcc

Mustang seat v stock SAM_3476_zpscosoijcz

Mustang seat v stock SAM_3475_zpsefvfuhrf

Mustang seat v stock SAM_3474_zpszxo1c2gf

Mustang seat v stock SAM_3473_zpsdaejiys0

Mustang seat v stock SAM_3472_zpsporbmirt

KeithW
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Mustang seat v stock   Mustang seat v stock Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2017 8:53 pm

Lovely looking - you must be well chuffed!
Back to top Go down
yorky
VIP Member
yorky

PostSubject: Re: Mustang seat v stock   Mustang seat v stock Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2017 8:58 pm

All matching  wow and that seat does look comfortable .. Mustang seat v stock 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

PostSubject: Re: Mustang seat v stock   Mustang seat v stock Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2017 9:18 pm

Mustang seat v stock 3498837457 Mustang seat v stock 3498837457  Mustang seat v stock 3498837457 Mustang seat v stock 3498837457 oyili
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

PostSubject: Re: Mustang seat v stock   Mustang seat v stock Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2017 9:48 pm

lgd Mustang seat v stock 184121345
Back to top Go down
KeithW
KeithW

PostSubject: Re: Mustang seat v stock   Mustang seat v stock Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2017 10:10 pm

I am pleased with it. It suits the bike and it is comfortable. Got to modify the rear rack bracket/support as it makes contact with the rear seat but that will be simple enough. 

KeithW
Back to top Go down
johnboss
Very Valued VIP Member
johnboss

PostSubject: Re: Mustang seat v stock   Mustang seat v stock Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2017 10:23 pm

Doubt you'll be struggling for luggage room on the Jolly Boys trip Keith!  Love the BOSS - The 'All Black' look really suits it.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Mustang seat v stock   Mustang seat v stock Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2017 10:33 pm

Damn that looks comfy!  Mustang seat v stock 2170595768
Back to top Go down
KeithW
KeithW

PostSubject: Re: Mustang seat v stock   Mustang seat v stock Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2017 10:43 pm

I don't travel light, John! When I go camping the tent and porch live on the back seat and the trailer is fully loaded. 

KeithW
Back to top Go down
Skidalot
Very Valued VIP Member
Skidalot

PostSubject: Re: Mustang seat v stock   Mustang seat v stock Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2017 11:00 pm

That's a nice looking set up Keith! Mustang seat v stock 184121345
Back to top Go down
KeithW
KeithW

PostSubject: Re: Mustang seat v stock   Mustang seat v stock Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2017 11:23 pm

It's getting there. There is still a lot of work in progress going on but Ihave to say iI'm very pleased with the  change.

KeithW
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

PostSubject: Re: Mustang seat v stock   Mustang seat v stock Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2017 1:41 pm

Keith you had better get some kind of lock for that seat! Johnboss has light fingers Mustang seat v stock 3213823784
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Mustang seat v stock   Mustang seat v stock Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2017 2:18 pm

Keith where did you get the saddle bags from my I ask?
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Mustang seat v stock   Mustang seat v stock Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2017 3:36 pm

Looks great Keith, well matched with the rest of bike.
Back to top Go down
johnboss
Very Valued VIP Member
johnboss

PostSubject: Re: Mustang seat v stock   Mustang seat v stock Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2017 3:47 pm

hawktheslayer wrote:
Keith you had better get some kind of lock for that seat! Johnboss has light fingers Mustang seat v stock 3213823784
Shhhh - had plans for that on the Jollys weekend!
Back to top Go down
KeithW
KeithW

PostSubject: Re: Mustang seat v stock   Mustang seat v stock Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2017 6:52 pm

I got the saddlebags off my mate so not sure of the exact place but they are the large Honda bags for the VTX 1300S that they sell in America.

KeithW
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Mustang seat v stock   Mustang seat v stock Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2017 7:08 pm

OK thanks for that Keith.
I'll have to drop in at Custom Cruisers in Alfreton to see if they have any solid bags for mine as mine have sagged under the weight of Rosie's packing technique!
Back to top Go down
Yamahog
Prospect

PostSubject: Re: Mustang seat v stock   Mustang seat v stock Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2018 6:01 pm

I bought one.  It was like sitting on top of a concrete slab wrapped in leather.  

--Dave
Back to top Go down
Yamahog
Prospect

PostSubject: Re: Mustang seat v stock   Mustang seat v stock Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2018 6:04 pm

simbo wrote:
they're supposed to get comfier as they break in too, piccies when you get a minute  Mustang seat v stock 3498837457

"Supposed to?"  They should already be comfortable when you buy them.  I had the foam worked on twice to no avail.  It was a seat you sit on top of, not down in. 

--Dave
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Mustang seat v stock   Mustang seat v stock Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2018 8:32 pm

Yamahog wrote:
simbo wrote:
they're supposed to get comfier as they break in too, piccies when you get a minute  Mustang seat v stock 3498837457

"Supposed to?"  They should already be comfortable when you buy them.  I had the foam worked on twice to no avail.  It was a seat you sit on top of, not down in. 

--Dave

OK, You seem tense? maybe it's the seat?  Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mustang seat v stock   Mustang seat v stock Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mustang seat v stock
Page 1 of 1