Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chrome cylinder head covers - is there a purpose besides cosmetic?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
MikeKKim

Chrome cylinder head covers - is there a purpose besides cosmetic? Empty
PostSubject: Chrome cylinder head covers - is there a purpose besides cosmetic?   Chrome cylinder head covers - is there a purpose besides cosmetic? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2017 5:52 pm

can someone tell me if there is any practical use to the chrome cylinder head covers, besides making the bike look shiny?
Back to top Go down
OldManYam
Very Valued VIP Member
OldManYam

PostSubject: Re: Chrome cylinder head covers - is there a purpose besides cosmetic?   Chrome cylinder head covers - is there a purpose besides cosmetic? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2017 7:25 pm

Chrome heads (or other parts) are easier to keep clean that painted heads - if that is important to you ...... other than that it is largely regarded as a 'cosmetic enhancement'

Then again, some people prefer 'dark' & blacking out' of various parts.
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Chrome cylinder head covers - is there a purpose besides cosmetic?   Chrome cylinder head covers - is there a purpose besides cosmetic? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2017 9:35 am

We were going to take them off Justins to have them powdered - till we realised that two of them have a cylinder-head bolt running through them.  No way are they going to come off without removing the lump !!!!
Back to top Go down
MikeKKim

PostSubject: Re: Chrome cylinder head covers - is there a purpose besides cosmetic?   Chrome cylinder head covers - is there a purpose besides cosmetic? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2017 2:16 pm

Thank you Yam for your response - you just made my day
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

PostSubject: Re: Chrome cylinder head covers - is there a purpose besides cosmetic?   Chrome cylinder head covers - is there a purpose besides cosmetic? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 03, 2017 6:28 pm

I tried to remove the front left one to gain more access to remove the Baron tachometer which came with my bike. Then read online it was an important bolt. Luckily just tightened it up again and no problems.
Back to top Go down
MikeKKim

PostSubject: Re: Chrome cylinder head covers - is there a purpose besides cosmetic?   Chrome cylinder head covers - is there a purpose besides cosmetic? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 03, 2017 7:43 pm

OK so I just pulled the covers off and screwed the bolts back in.  I like the look without the chrome head covers, but if this is going to f-up my motorcycle I will put the covers back on.  What is the definitive answer?  I thought the bolts were only holding the covers...I haven't started the motorcycle yet as it is still down for the winter.  Someone let me know
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Chrome cylinder head covers - is there a purpose besides cosmetic?   Chrome cylinder head covers - is there a purpose besides cosmetic? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 03, 2017 8:13 pm

It should be fine as the 'Suzuki Bond'  gasket sealer they use at the factory is pretty stern stuff and even with the bolts removed you'd probably have to prize the heads off with something. Only time will tell if the seal has broken though unfortunately? Only torquing  the bolts back up and firing the bike up will give you definitive answer straight away.
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Chrome cylinder head covers - is there a purpose besides cosmetic?   Chrome cylinder head covers - is there a purpose besides cosmetic? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 03, 2017 8:15 pm

Hold on - was it the same design on the '97 model ?
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Chrome cylinder head covers - is there a purpose besides cosmetic?   Chrome cylinder head covers - is there a purpose besides cosmetic? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 03, 2017 8:35 pm

katsd wrote:
Hold on - was it the same design on the '97 model ?

That is a very good question? was one of the bolts a 10mm x 155mm or were they both short little ones? if the latter all will be well and good for sure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chrome cylinder head covers - is there a purpose besides cosmetic?   Chrome cylinder head covers - is there a purpose besides cosmetic? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chrome cylinder head covers - is there a purpose besides cosmetic?
Page 1 of 1