Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Potential oil problem on C800/M

Go down 
+5
stingray
simbo
peardrop3
Lowey
EazyDuz
9 posters
AuthorMessage
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

Potential oil problem on C800/M Empty
PostSubject: Potential oil problem on C800/M   Potential oil problem on C800/M Icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2017 2:15 pm

Found a few posts about this on other forums.
It appears that with the bike on the side stand, oil doesn't properly reach the clutch/flywheel and thus doesn't coat the rear camchain which could lead to premature wear. Not sure how much difference it would make long term if the owner were to sit on the bike, start it and let it idle for a few seconds to get the oil flowing as opposed to, for example, starting the bike on the stand after having it sat for a day or more for a few minutes while you get your gear on and ride away. Thought it may be of interest and would like to hear thoughts. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg5oWfYc9dw
Back to top Go down
Lowey
Valued Member
Lowey

PostSubject: Re: Potential oil problem on C800/M   Potential oil problem on C800/M Icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2017 2:23 pm

I have read items like this before, so as a precaution I have never started or let any bikes I have owned tick over on the side stand.
Back to top Go down
Badger
Valued Member
Badger

PostSubject: Re: Potential oil problem on C800/M   Potential oil problem on C800/M Icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2017 5:27 pm

I personally have had no problems, but it's no big deal to stop doing that in future, just in case.
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Potential oil problem on C800/M   Potential oil problem on C800/M Icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2017 5:43 pm

You'll have a problem letting it tick over on the side stand as if it's down it should not be able to start or so I think?
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

PostSubject: Re: Potential oil problem on C800/M   Potential oil problem on C800/M Icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2017 5:56 pm

peardrop3 wrote:
You'll have a problem letting it tick over on the side stand as if it's down it should not be able to start or so I think?
Pretty much every bike can tick over in neutral with the side stand down, he did it in the video too.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Potential oil problem on C800/M   Potential oil problem on C800/M Icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2017 6:02 pm

peardrop3 wrote:

No problem in 'Neutral' Pete Potential oil problem on C800/M 3498837457  The only time I've heard of this being a problem is on old boxer twins with oil draining away from the right hand cylinder after it's been stood for a period of time.
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Potential oil problem on C800/M   Potential oil problem on C800/M Icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2017 6:43 pm

simbo wrote:
peardrop3 wrote:

No problem in 'Neutral' Pete Potential oil problem on C800/M 3498837457  The only time I've heard of this being a problem is on old boxer twins with oil draining away from the right hand cylinder after it's been stood for a period of time.
Yes I know all about smoky beemers Sim as I've had 3 myself! I wasn't sure about running with the stand down till I just remembered it will stop if it goes into gear on the stand doh!
Back to top Go down
stingray
Very Valued VIP Member
stingray

PostSubject: Re: Potential oil problem on C800/M   Potential oil problem on C800/M Icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2017 7:11 pm

Interesting Eazyduz, I think to be on the safe side I'll place a block under the sidestand while she warms up, good tip, thanks Potential oil problem on C800/M 3498837457
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

PostSubject: Re: Potential oil problem on C800/M   Potential oil problem on C800/M Icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2017 7:30 pm

Sit on the bike and start it up, wait a few seconds and put it on its side stand, put lid and gloves on and ride away into the sunset and live happily ever after  Potential oil problem on C800/M 184121345
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Potential oil problem on C800/M   Potential oil problem on C800/M Icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2017 8:13 pm

You have gotta be shitting me.  Potential oil problem on C800/M 852880
I can not see how starting our bikes and only running one for a short time, on the side stand, will be a problem.
The oil may drain away from any engine part that it's not sitting in or bieng splashed by, true. What I would say to that, if you think the part will degrade because of that is this: Do a test. Dip a bit of anything in some oil, take it away and see if you can whipe it, with a finger a month later, without getting an oily finger. Thats gotta be worth a test. 
hyst

v-twin wrote:
Sit on the bike and start it up, wait a few seconds and put it on its side stand, put lid and gloves on and ride away into the sunset and live happily ever after  Potential oil problem on C800/M 184121345
I'm with you Andrew, always have been, always will be. What makes sense, makes sense. If it ain't broke, dont fix it Potential oil problem on C800/M 3498837457
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Potential oil problem on C800/M   Potential oil problem on C800/M Icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2017 8:48 pm

I think this is trying to find a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, Take Twojobmicks Volusia for example, It's done 30 odd k and he always starts it on the side stand whilst it warms up on the choke before riding off, There's no rattles or slapping noises on that bike I can confirm.
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

PostSubject: Re: Potential oil problem on C800/M   Potential oil problem on C800/M Icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2017 9:41 pm

Mr Intruder wrote:
You have gotta be shitting me.  Potential oil problem on C800/M 852880
I can not see how starting our bikes and only running one for a short time, on the side stand, will be a problem.
The oil may drain away from any engine part that it's not sitting in or bieng splashed by, true. What I would say to that, if you think the part will degrade because of that is this: Do a test. Dip a bit of anything in some oil, take it away and see if you can whipe it, with a finger a month later, without getting an oily finger. Thats gotta be worth a test. 
hyst

v-twin wrote:
I'm with you Andrew, always have been, always will be. What makes sense, makes sense. If it ain't broke, dont fix it Potential oil problem on C800/M 3498837457

That thin amount of oil on the camchain will be worn off in seconds at the rate the chain is moving. 
As for a problem that doesn't exist, failures seem to occur from 30,000 onwards. Just google 'Suzuki c50/m50 cam chain forum' and you'll see a lot of threads and posts on the issue.
Either way i've never thought to not idle a bike on the sidestand from cold, but the video shows just how much better the oil gets to the components when upright so i'll make the change.

Couple of people here had the same

https://www.suzuki800.com/t2435-cam-chain-and-tesioner-replacement
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Potential oil problem on C800/M   Potential oil problem on C800/M Icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 1:28 am

Sometimes we over think things. Start it up. Ride it. Stop worrying. If your handbook does not mention a problem it's probably an old wive's tale!
Back to top Go down
Badger
Valued Member
Badger

PostSubject: Re: Potential oil problem on C800/M   Potential oil problem on C800/M Icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 10:05 am

Suzuki must realise people are going to start it on the side stand.  ???
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Potential oil problem on C800/M   Potential oil problem on C800/M Icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 8:54 pm

In a market as big as the US market and with that amount of bikes, you will always find a large amount of similar problems. A lot of opinions that often start from similar sources, many good but many not so good. If I was to read all the problems that they all share with whatever bike is being mentioned, I would sell my bike and start walking everywhere. Anything with moving parts, has a useable life, and I am not about to try to find problems. I have ridden bikes for 34 years without any real problems, regular maintenance is the key. If you treat a bike with respect and maintain it properly, what else can you do. Oh I know, put yourself in an early grave by looking for problems where you probably won't find any. Maintain it, ride and enjoy it, that's a philosophy I have and will continue to have, simples.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Potential oil problem on C800/M   Potential oil problem on C800/M Icon_minitimeSat Mar 04, 2017 1:02 pm

Easzy wrote:
That thin amount of oil on the camchain will be worn off in seconds at the rate the chain is moving.

No it won't.

Firstly: It is only moving against other parts that have also got an oily coating.
Secondly: I am not sure how fast you think the cam is moves? But the cam chain rotates at half the speed of the engine.
Plus the cam chain is made up of lots of individual links, that all have a coating. We are not talking about high speed movement and we are not talking about just two items that are constantly rubbing at crazy speeds. Not when you consider what it is and you are only firing it up, warming it up, putting your lid and gloves on and riding off into the sunset.
Too many people find problems, where there ain't one or the chances of one are negligeable. Start it, ride it, enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Potential oil problem on C800/M   Potential oil problem on C800/M Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Potential oil problem on C800/M
Page 1 of 1