Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rattle can paint

Go down 
+4
simbo
Lowey
johnboss
bigmal
8 posters
AuthorMessage
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

Rattle can paint Empty
PostSubject: Rattle can paint   Rattle can paint Icon_minitimeThu May 04, 2017 7:08 pm

As some of you know Ive been tackling some rust on the front & rear mudguards of the Victory.

Haven't got a spray gun so only using rattle cans, but thought id post some info here as its general info for any bike.

Having sorted the rust, filled & primed, I applied Ford black ( a good match apparently).

TOP TIP< shake the tin for the 2 minutes advised (not 10 seconds like most of us do), then warm the spray can in hot water. The paint flows out way better!

Heres the result after a few coats of black. Pretty damn pleased with the gloss, although if you look at the reflection of the house its a bit blurry, proving its not mirror finish.

Rattle can paint Fresh%20painbt

Then SIM suggested wet sanding with 2000 grit (very very fine). I got a mixed pack with some 2000 and some 2500, so used both (in that order.... bigger number = finer finish).

affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid  its gone all dull. 

Rattle can paint Paint%20sanded

But then SIMs magic trick is to buff with T cut (i used a slightly coarser version first, then t cut) and heres the result! No wax yet, and a couple of bits might benerfit from a second rub down but woohoo! Rattle can paint 3298

Rattle can paint Paint

I was less successful with the rear...... only because some overspray crept under the paper, and I wasn't painting the whole thing as its huge. Tried sanding off overspray as above. Went through to primer. So the rear is currently being repainted!!

SaveSave

SaveSave
Back to top Go down
johnboss
Very Valued VIP Member
johnboss

Rattle can paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattle can paint   Rattle can paint Icon_minitimeThu May 04, 2017 7:35 pm

Bloody well done that man - and considering its done with a rattle can, in a open garage and its not your trade - an excellent job. If ever you do want to try your hand with compressor and spray gun Mal - just shout - I've got the gear, but no idea!
Back to top Go down
Lowey
Valued Member
Lowey

Rattle can paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattle can paint   Rattle can paint Icon_minitimeThu May 04, 2017 8:19 pm

That's a really good job you've made of that.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Rattle can paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattle can paint   Rattle can paint Icon_minitimeThu May 04, 2017 8:54 pm

Superb Job Mal! Rattle can paint 2170595768 Rattle can paint 123721   The 'Red' idea on the back burner now?
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

Rattle can paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattle can paint   Rattle can paint Icon_minitimeThu May 04, 2017 9:30 pm

simbo wrote:
   The 'Red' idea on the back burner now?
I think so for now. And although my rust treatment and filling is pretty good by amateur standards, it's not good enough to hit with a pro paint job..... 

Unless I just go for the red on the fairing/tank & panniers.    But for now, this will do!

Cheers chaps.
Back to top Go down
stingray
Very Valued VIP Member
stingray

Rattle can paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattle can paint   Rattle can paint Icon_minitimeFri May 05, 2017 9:41 am

Excellent job Mal, shining like fighting dogs balls. its a big thumup  from me.
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

Rattle can paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattle can paint   Rattle can paint Icon_minitimeFri May 05, 2017 10:09 am

Damn good finish Mal - a job to be proud of
Back to top Go down
yorky
VIP Member
yorky

Rattle can paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattle can paint   Rattle can paint Icon_minitimeFri May 05, 2017 11:34 am

Great job Mal.
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

Rattle can paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattle can paint   Rattle can paint Icon_minitimeFri May 05, 2017 2:26 pm

Looking good Mal, now get the red done Rattle can paint 3498837457
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

Rattle can paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattle can paint   Rattle can paint Icon_minitimeSat May 06, 2017 5:26 pm

Well fuck me. This job has gone from "I'm pretty pleased with that" to "you fucking rank amateur"

Rear fender is huge on this bike, so just painted top face, and feathered around the rust repairs where the indicators go on the side.

Been t cutting all day to blend new and old paint. My new paints buffing up a treat, the victory shit paint isn't!

"Ok, that will do" I said.... it's nowhere near perefect, but I'd better reassemble it..... mot on Monday.

Bolted on  rear light. All good.

Went into garage to get indicators..... huge gust of wind blew the fender off the frigging workmate onto the drive!

Dinged the tip.... thru to bare metal..... scuff on the side.

Holy crap, what a crap afternoon.

The ever level headed ali just said "put it back together for the mot.... if won't fail the mot on a paint chip"

So I'll prob do that, but I'm so pissed off! 

Grrrrrrrr........ I need a holiday.
Back to top Go down
johnboss
Very Valued VIP Member
johnboss

Rattle can paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattle can paint   Rattle can paint Icon_minitimeSat May 06, 2017 5:54 pm

That's a proper 'For Fucks Sake' moment Mal - can imagine how pissed off you are. Can it be repaired in situ later?
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

Rattle can paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattle can paint   Rattle can paint Icon_minitimeSat May 06, 2017 7:11 pm

Yeah, I think so. I just refitted the chrome light bezel and that hides some of it, so I'll prob just touch it up with touch up paint to stop moisture getting to the bare metal. 

I suspect it will bug me and I'll end up repainting  the whole fender.... I was disappointed with the sides anyway. But defo not repainting before mondays mot, and probably not before France!
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Rattle can paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattle can paint   Rattle can paint Icon_minitimeSat May 06, 2017 8:40 pm

That's a shitter Mal! I'm sure you'll have it all  lgd  in the end  thumup

ps. if the existing paints looking a bit grubby? use some Meguiar's paint cleaner on it before waxing, it'll bring it up a treat.  glasses
Back to top Go down
johnboss
Very Valued VIP Member
johnboss

Rattle can paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattle can paint   Rattle can paint Icon_minitimeSat May 06, 2017 11:31 pm

bigmal wrote:
Yeah, I think so. I just refitted the chrome light bezel and that hides some of it, so I'll prob just touch it up with touch up paint to stop moisture getting to the bare metal. 

I suspect it will bug me and I'll end up repainting  the whole fender.... I was disappointed with the sides anyway. But defo not repainting before mondays mot, and probably not before France!
Welcome to the compressor and spray gun if you wan to try it before / after the jollies Mal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rattle can paint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattle can paint   Rattle can paint Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rattle can paint
Page 1 of 1