Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.

Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomePublicationsRegisterLog in

Share | 

xhaust mod or not

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
gosh

PostSubject: xhaust mod or not   Sun May 14, 2017 7:23 pm

been reading up on a lot of diferent catagories inc ,... ``the 1400 shaft mod ``.... will look into that one at a later date ,seems a very worthwhile mod....
anyhow back to this xhaust ,with the holes punched thru all 4 of the baffles ,and posibly 4 holes on each xhaust....
anyone done either or both the exhaust mods and wished they had,nt ,for whatever reason......
much appreciate answers,as am thinking of punching the holes thru both  baffles ,both exhausts with 1/2'' bar  [aint got nothing larger]
but ...Not the drilling holes or  the Baffle Ectomy. 
would just baffle drilling give me any gain in a louder xhaust ,or not....dont want a racket just louder than it is ...

anyone done any of the 3 main mods and wished they had not .......
Back to top Go down
simbo
.. Mechanical Tart .. .. Site Moderator ..

PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   Sun May 14, 2017 8:08 pm

gosh wrote:

anyone done any of the 3 main mods and wished they had not .......

The only exhaust mod I regretted was completely cutting the end plate out of the silencers, all the others are subtle mods to further enhance the sound of the V-Twin exhaust note, I'd recommend banging a rod or drilling through the internal plates first to see if this gives the tone you're looking for? It gives a slightly deeper rumble. then I'd go for drilling the 4 holes in the end plates to raise the volume slightly, Neither give a harsh/obnoxious sound, more of a deeper rumble than standard.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   Sun May 14, 2017 8:58 pm

Yep,agreed. The very talented mr Johnboss gave me a hand drilling 4 holes in my baffles on the intruder.... made the exhaust note much deeper and richer without being eardrum splitting loud for the poor bugger riding behind you!
Back to top Go down
stingray
Very Valued VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   Mon May 15, 2017 9:30 am

Go for it, its a very worthwhile 'mod' and costs nothing, it gives areally nice sound without being overly noisy and it lets the engine 'breath'. If you're ever near the west mids I still have the bar to do the deed, good luck.
Back to top Go down
johnboss
Very Valued VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   Mon May 15, 2017 1:18 pm

Definately worth it. Sim did the 'deed' with my baffles (he has a long tool perfect for the job!). The I plucked up courage and drilled 4 x 12mm holes in each back plate. Lovely sound without being offensive or drawing anything other than admiring attention. A qiuick cheap and easy (if a little brutal) mod.
Back to top Go down
gosh

PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   Mon May 15, 2017 6:52 pm

thanx for replies,  and encouragement to do it ,
dont know whether to do the rod /hammer job ....or the driller killer .....or both....
is one better than the other..
the hammer job seems the easiest ,but ...cant put back to original. [ prob do this one ]
driller job can at least be plated back up .....
just want a bit louder pipes , and NOT ... ''sh*# what the hell is that ''
any probs with the m.o.t probe ,picking up excess fuel gasses ....
thanx for the offer.... john of dudley ,maybe someone near you will take up ya offer of help 

doesn,t sound as if anyone whose done the xhaust mod ,wished they hadn't done it.....
Back to top Go down
johnboss
Very Valued VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   Mon May 15, 2017 7:23 pm

Baffle and drill the end plate definitely sounds better.  It'll not be that loud as to scare folk, just loud enough - Don't know about the MOT, but not heard on this forum anyone having a problem.
Back to top Go down
simbo
.. Mechanical Tart .. .. Site Moderator ..

PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   Mon May 15, 2017 7:43 pm

Won't affect your MOT as they don't test emissions on motorcycles, even if they did? it wouldn't affect anything as the mod is behind the catalytic converter, they might pick up on the end plates being drilled but it's highly unlikely, if they did? you could always silicone a plate over the holes temporarily.
Back to top Go down
gosh

PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   Tue May 16, 2017 7:41 pm

thank you all again.........much appreciated .
thanx simbo ........for puttin mind at rest about  m.o.t.  .......
i will definately do this crackin mod ...will have to wait till weekend tho...
i will still be searching the forum for things that im not sure about, and then ask questions again....
ta .v . much
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   Tue May 16, 2017 11:52 pm

I gutted mine including the cat. Take it all out - sounds great! The plates can be broken out by hammering a large rod to break the 3 welds. Drill out the back plate with a bi-metal hole saw. You can have a pair made up which can easily be invisibly replaced using silicone - I had the pea shooter ends welded on to steel discs for £10. 

This allowed me to sell the bike and no one knew! There maybe a slight loss of backpressure but that can be sorted with a diy lollipop. The stock pipes look great IMO and with the internals removed, you will have an aftermarket sounding system, that looks the dogs b's all for little dosh. If you just want to make a hole down the middle, hammering a sharpened rod on the bike is fine but inner plate removal requires taking the pipes off to do the job properly. You can do the holes in the back plate but personally I think it looks naff - hole saw job looks much more professional. 

Whichever route you go, have fun - anything is better than the quiet stockers unless you like the sound of the valves clattering!
Back to top Go down
gosh

PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   Wed May 17, 2017 10:59 pm

early finish from work today 3pm so straight in garage ,already grinded points on two 3ft screww thread bars....1st one was 12mm ...2nd was18 mm.. shone led torch up first pipe and surprised to see the first baffle plate was already holed ,quite large ,just a mm off the diameter off baffle  pipe.....2nd exhaust already done as well.....
the 2nd inner baffles untouched...3 mins later both exhaust pipes were rodded with both sizes....only took about 4 or 5 thumps of hammer and job done.......as advised by the forum members ...............the baffle plates were roughly 8.5 '' and 13 '' in , from the pipe ends...
sounds .....''lovely jubbly , rodders ''.....
done a quick test ride up and down the street , even my son could hear the diference from his room upstairs and asked if i would do his yam.....   thanx everyone ...
nice photo,s john
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   Wed May 17, 2017 11:06 pm

Well done! It's the inner one that drops the tone and increases the volume. There is still quite a bit more in there but as time goes on you may or may not decide to do more. Enjoy riding with a bit more grunt now!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   

Back to top Go down

xhaust mod or not
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1