Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

xhaust mod or not

Go down 
+6
Bluesman
johnboss
stingray
bigmal
simbo
gosh
10 posters
AuthorMessage
gosh
gosh

xhaust mod or not Empty
PostSubject: xhaust mod or not   xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeSun May 14, 2017 7:23 pm

been reading up on a lot of diferent catagories inc ,... ``the 1400 shaft mod ``.... will look into that one at a later date ,seems a very worthwhile mod....
anyhow back to this xhaust ,with the holes punched thru all 4 of the baffles ,and posibly 4 holes on each xhaust....
anyone done either or both the exhaust mods and wished they had,nt ,for whatever reason......
much appreciate answers,as am thinking of punching the holes thru both  baffles ,both exhausts with 1/2'' bar  [aint got nothing larger]
but ...Not the drilling holes or  the Baffle Ectomy. 
would just baffle drilling give me any gain in a louder xhaust ,or not....dont want a racket just louder than it is ...

anyone done any of the 3 main mods and wished they had not .......
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

xhaust mod or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeSun May 14, 2017 8:08 pm

gosh wrote:

anyone done any of the 3 main mods and wished they had not .......

The only exhaust mod I regretted was completely cutting the end plate out of the silencers, all the others are subtle mods to further enhance the sound of the V-Twin exhaust note, I'd recommend banging a rod or drilling through the internal plates first to see if this gives the tone you're looking for? It gives a slightly deeper rumble. then I'd go for drilling the 4 holes in the end plates to raise the volume slightly, Neither give a harsh/obnoxious sound, more of a deeper rumble than standard.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

xhaust mod or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeSun May 14, 2017 8:58 pm

Yep,agreed. The very talented mr Johnboss gave me a hand drilling 4 holes in my baffles on the intruder.... made the exhaust note much deeper and richer without being eardrum splitting loud for the poor bugger riding behind you!
Back to top Go down
stingray
Very Valued VIP Member
stingray

xhaust mod or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeMon May 15, 2017 9:30 am

Go for it, its a very worthwhile 'mod' and costs nothing, it gives areally nice sound without being overly noisy and it lets the engine 'breath'. If you're ever near the west mids I still have the bar to do the deed, good luck. xhaust mod or not 3498837457
Back to top Go down
johnboss
Very Valued VIP Member
johnboss

xhaust mod or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeMon May 15, 2017 1:18 pm

Definately worth it. Sim did the 'deed' with my baffles (he has a long tool perfect for the job!). The I plucked up courage and drilled 4 x 12mm holes in each back plate. Lovely sound without being offensive or drawing anything other than admiring attention. A qiuick cheap and easy (if a little brutal) mod.
Back to top Go down
gosh
gosh

xhaust mod or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeMon May 15, 2017 6:52 pm

thanx for replies,  and encouragement to do it ,
dont know whether to do the rod /hammer job ....or the driller killer .....or both....
is one better than the other..
the hammer job seems the easiest ,but ...cant put back to original. [ prob do this one ]
driller job can at least be plated back up .....
just want a bit louder pipes , and NOT ... ''sh*# what the hell is that ''
any probs with the m.o.t probe ,picking up excess fuel gasses ....
thanx for the offer.... john of dudley ,maybe someone near you will take up ya offer of help 

doesn,t sound as if anyone whose done the xhaust mod ,wished they hadn't done it.....
Back to top Go down
johnboss
Very Valued VIP Member
johnboss

xhaust mod or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeMon May 15, 2017 7:23 pm

Baffle and drill the end plate definitely sounds better.  It'll not be that loud as to scare folk, just loud enough - Don't know about the MOT, but not heard on this forum anyone having a problem.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

xhaust mod or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeMon May 15, 2017 7:43 pm

Won't affect your MOT as they don't test emissions on motorcycles, even if they did? it wouldn't affect anything as the mod is behind the catalytic converter, they might pick up on the end plates being drilled but it's highly unlikely, if they did? you could always silicone a plate over the holes temporarily.
Back to top Go down
gosh
gosh

xhaust mod or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeTue May 16, 2017 7:41 pm

thank you all again.........much appreciated .
thanx simbo ........for puttin mind at rest about  m.o.t.  .......
i will definately do this crackin mod ...will have to wait till weekend tho...
i will still be searching the forum for things that im not sure about, and then ask questions again....
ta .v . much
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

xhaust mod or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeTue May 16, 2017 11:52 pm

I gutted mine including the cat. Take it all out - sounds great! The plates can be broken out by hammering a large rod to break the 3 welds. Drill out the back plate with a bi-metal hole saw. You can have a pair made up which can easily be invisibly replaced using silicone - I had the pea shooter ends welded on to steel discs for £10. 
xhaust mod or not Donut

This allowed me to sell the bike and no one knew! There maybe a slight loss of backpressure but that can be sorted with a diy lollipop. The stock pipes look great IMO and with the internals removed, you will have an aftermarket sounding system, that looks the dogs b's all for little dosh. If you just want to make a hole down the middle, hammering a sharpened rod on the bike is fine but inner plate removal requires taking the pipes off to do the job properly. You can do the holes in the back plate but personally I think it looks naff - hole saw job looks much more professional. 
xhaust mod or not IMG_1121_zpsxowvz4aa

Whichever route you go, have fun - anything is better than the quiet stockers unless you like the sound of the valves clattering!
Back to top Go down
gosh
gosh

xhaust mod or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeWed May 17, 2017 10:59 pm

early finish from work today 3pm so straight in garage ,already grinded points on two 3ft screww thread bars....1st one was 12mm ...2nd was18 mm.. shone led torch up first pipe and surprised to see the first baffle plate was already holed ,quite large ,just a mm off the diameter off baffle  pipe.....2nd exhaust already done as well.....
the 2nd inner baffles untouched...3 mins later both exhaust pipes were rodded with both sizes....only took about 4 or 5 thumps of hammer and job done.......as advised by the forum members ...............the baffle plates were roughly 8.5 '' and 13 '' in , from the pipe ends...
sounds .....''lovely jubbly , rodders ''.....
done a quick test ride up and down the street , even my son could hear the diference from his room upstairs and asked if i would do his yam.....   thanx everyone ...
nice photo,s john
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

xhaust mod or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeWed May 17, 2017 11:06 pm

Well done! It's the inner one that drops the tone and increases the volume. There is still quite a bit more in there but as time goes on you may or may not decide to do more. Enjoy riding with a bit more grunt now!
Back to top Go down
kennp
Prospect
kennp

xhaust mod or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeFri Jul 28, 2017 11:50 am

Well, after reading all the comments I finally did the drill 4 holes mod. I must say it sounds so much better already. I think I will see how it goes before doing anymore though.
Back to top Go down
johnboss
Very Valued VIP Member
johnboss

xhaust mod or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeFri Jul 28, 2017 6:58 pm

kennp wrote:
Well, after reading all the comments I finally did the drill 4 holes mod. I must say it sounds so much better already. I think I will see how it goes before doing anymore though.
Get the baffles knocked out - you'll like the noise!
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

xhaust mod or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeFri Jul 28, 2017 7:33 pm

xhaust mod or not 428386 With all the above. Loved the sound it produced with the baffles drilled and holes in the end plate, only changed it because the v&H was a steal and looked better than stock.
Back to top Go down
goshhub

xhaust mod or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeSun Jul 30, 2017 9:05 pm

must admit ,i was "should i / or not ".....well pleased i rodded the baffles ...,and not long after i drilled the back plates ,only put 2 , 10mm holes in each xaust and this puts out a better note ( just my oppinion )
definately shoots out more pressure from the holes ,...SO ...im gonna put another 2 in each....
NOT LOUD ,but enough rumble ....
hope comment helps anyone thinking about it......Big thanx to all who made this easy mod available..
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

xhaust mod or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeSun Jul 30, 2017 9:17 pm

You can bash away through to the cat - sound just gets better!
Back to top Go down
goshhub

xhaust mod or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeSun Jul 30, 2017 9:31 pm

sounds a bit pervy ....

does that affect the emissions on a F.I. model.??.dont want to start with ijection problems and mapping etc..
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

xhaust mod or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeSun Jul 30, 2017 10:51 pm

goshhub wrote:

does that affect the emissions on a F.I. model.??.dont want to start with ijection problems and mapping etc..
I gutted my C800 exhausts by removing back plate and  both internal plates. Bike adapted without any lights coming on. If you don't change the air intake, all should be fine. I did add a repair washer lollipop for a bit of backpressure, 6" inches inside. If you are ok with a quiet bike, a few holes should keep you happy. But if you ride near 800's with aftermarkets, you may be disappointed. I like the look of the original pipes so my mod gave looks and sound. To my mind a great bike deserves a great sound. Even gutted, mine were only 2/3 the volume of a straight through aftermarket, but probably deeper.

https://youtu.be/RIUsJFXaGrA
Back to top Go down
goshhub

xhaust mod or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeTue Aug 01, 2017 7:09 pm

thanx bluesman 
a bit more info ,and comments to help....nice one ....must admit i think the stock pipes look really good ,and dont think i would change them ....
big change  from intruder to a busa ....how ya liking it ....
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

xhaust mod or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeTue Aug 01, 2017 9:12 pm

goshhub wrote:
thanx bluesman 
a bit more info ,and comments to help....nice one ....must admit i think the stock pipes look really good ,and dont think i would change them ....
big change  from intruder to a busa ....how ya liking it ....
The Busa is pretty fearsome but once you get used to it you only notice when you push a bit. Obviously the Intruder  more leisurely but such a classy looking machine. Some say the pipes are a bit long but like the American cars used to be with huge rear wings, sort of all hangs together.
Back to top Go down
kennp
Prospect
kennp

xhaust mod or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2017 9:07 pm

So I did the four hole thing and I am really happy with it - is it my imagination that the bike seems quicker?
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

xhaust mod or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2017 9:59 pm

kennp wrote:
So I did the four hole thing and I am really happy with it - is it my imagination that the bike seems quicker?

Probably feels less asthmatic giving the impression it's quicker.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

xhaust mod or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2017 10:17 pm

The important thing is it seems quicker. Feelgood factor is important to all bikers. Job done!
Back to top Go down
nathro
Prospect
nathro

xhaust mod or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2018 6:58 am

Bluesman wrote:
goshhub wrote:

I gutted my C800 exhausts by removing back plate and  both internal plates. Bike adapted without any lights coming on. If you don't change the air intake, all should be fine. I did add a repair washer lollipop for a bit of backpressure, 6" inches inside. If you are ok with a quiet bike, a few holes should keep you happy. But if you ride near 800's with aftermarkets, you may be disappointed. I like the look of the original pipes so my mod gave looks and sound. To my mind a great bike deserves a great sound. Even gutted, mine were only 2/3 the volume of a straight through aftermarket, but probably deeper.

youtube.video

Hi Bluesman, I am seeking clarification... Is the cat still in place in this video?
Sounds amazing!

I'm definitely getting rid of the end plate, but still considering what I'm going to do with the two internal plates.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

xhaust mod or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2018 3:26 pm

xhaust mod or not Forum_12The cat was drilled through twice after both inner plates were removed. The innermost plate was the hardest to remove with a lot of bashing using a club hammer and long, long, screwdriver to break the welds. Power tools are probably easier. On my current project the Harley Sportster has now been completely hollowed including all the cat - sounds great. Do remember when you remove everything, you need to scavenge a bit of the escaping pressure with a washer on a bracket or in the HD's case just the angle bracket. It's a case of trial and error. Just remember there is no going back once it's all removed except for lollipops etc unless you have a new backplate fitted. Still, there is always the possibility of  aftermarket pipes if it all goes pear-shaped. Personally I enjoy tinkering with exhausts - something good for very little cost is soooo appealing!
The sad thing is, when I traded in my Intruder with the above pipes the dealer threw them away and replaced with stock ones! Apparently he could not offer a warranty with the modified pipes on when the bike was sold on. Shame because they sounded great and as the 800 engines are very understressed, it is most unlikely any damage was done. This was my second Intruder but I did not refit another backplate, so they could see what I had done inside. On my previous bike I did fit a new plate as in earlier pics and the dealer did not know the middle was gutted!
Back to top Go down
nathro
Prospect
nathro

xhaust mod or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2018 12:30 am

That is a shame about those great sounding pipes... xhaust mod or not 437349

I don't have a great deal of access to tools of any kind, so need to visit my parents more often to borrow theirs (not that they mind xhaust mod or not 1851553709). Their neighbour has a bunch of metal working tools and is a bit of a motorcycle enthusiast too, so I've got plenty of help at hand xhaust mod or not 852880.

I might start my own thread and keep the forum updated.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

xhaust mod or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2018 6:37 pm

nathro wrote:
That is a shame about those great sounding pipes... xhaust mod or not 437349

I don't have a great deal of access to tools of any kind, so need to visit my parents more often to borrow theirs (not that they mind xhaust mod or not 1851553709). Their neighbour has a bunch of metal working tools and is a bit of a motorcycle enthusiast too, so I've got plenty of help at hand xhaust mod or not 852880.

I might start my own thread and keep the forum updated.
thumup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

xhaust mod or not Empty
PostSubject: Re: xhaust mod or not   xhaust mod or not Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

xhaust mod or not
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum :: The Garage :: Exhaust-
Jump to:  
Slide Show
A random selection of suzuki800.com member bikes.
Latest topics
» Choke plunger
xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeby flying1 Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:43 pm

» Hello intruder people
xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeby nano Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:19 pm

» Hi from North east England
xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeby Brianhuck Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:30 pm

» VX800 - Wiring issue colours & diagram?
xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeby Billybop90 Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:44 am

» Looking for a set of Leg wind deflectors for a C50 Boulivard.
xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeby Aikido789 Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:11 am

» 12inch apes
xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeby bernard chaddock Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:06 pm

» Saying hello from Cheshire
xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeby bernard chaddock Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:58 pm

» ola de portugal
xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeby fabio almeida Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:28 am

» Hello from Texas
xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeby icoolwecool99@gmail.com Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:47 pm

» VX800 vacuum hose(s) 1996
xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeby Billybop90 Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:16 pm

» Chrome Fender Tips - Volusia VL800, Boulevard C50T
xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeby SWEET Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:25 pm

» New to the site
xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeby VAI777 Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:32 pm

» oldies but goldies
xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeby redevil Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:59 am

» My new M800
xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeby Urko Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:12 am

» Just visiting for final drive info...
xhaust mod or not Icon_minitimeby CS_0427 Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:28 am