Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

fuel

Go down 
+4
v-twin
ardie
simbo
OldManYam
8 posters
AuthorMessage
ardie
Valued Member
ardie

fuel  Empty
PostSubject: fuel    fuel  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 04, 2017 9:11 pm

Right guys had this for awhile now was always got 180mls plus to a full tank, plugs air filter oil all changed once a year tyre pressure always done, the last year gone down to 160 at most. I have lost 25mls on a tank .the only thing  I can now think of is this. I changed from the original tyres   irc   to dunlops front and back around the same time I started to notice this. Has  anyone had drop or increase in mpg after a change of tyres .4000 mls on bike when I got it 8500mls now .
Back to top Go down
OldManYam
Very Valued VIP Member
OldManYam

fuel  Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel    fuel  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 04, 2017 10:00 pm

It's not impossible for tyres to have different characteristics that will effect the rolling resistance, and ultimately the fuel consumption ..... but it would be surprising if a change of tyres gave a 14% drop in fuel consumption  ...... unless you've fitted very sticky tyres (Which would not last as long as the previous tyres).

Might be worth checking if there is any sticking on your brakes (Caliper pistons especially).
Could be worth stripping down your brake pads & cleaning the pivot pins etc.  - as even some light dragging of brake components would potentially effect your fuel consumption.
Is there any significant build up of heat on your discs after a short run where you have minimal use of the brakes ? ..... if so it would suggest a problem in the braking system.

Its also worth remembering brake fluid should be changed every two years. Not only does the efficiency of brake fluid deteriorate with age (due to moisture absorption), it can promote internal corrosion in the brake system if fresh fluid is not introduced. (i.e. Old fluid with moisture absorbed can lead to promotion). 

Hope that might help,
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

fuel  Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel    fuel  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 04, 2017 10:48 pm

Good tips there Yam  fuel  3498837457  Also, be sure to make any rear brake adjustments whilst the bike is under load rather than on it's side stand or lift while the wheel is in the air, surprising how much it can drag once the weight of the bike & rider is on board...   "Pie" consumption can also have adverse effects on MPG as well  fuel  693183   fuel  852880
Back to top Go down
ardie
Valued Member
ardie

fuel  Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel    fuel  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 04, 2017 11:56 pm

Cheers YAM and SIM pads were changed 500 miles ago, cleaned every thing at the time rear shoes don't need changed till after SUMMER when I intend to do the shaft lube as when I did it last year hadn't got the dust seal in time so everything greased apart from behind the seal but cleaned every thing in there as well.Will double check the heat on disc and shoe  area after  short run, will change brake fluid asap .Had beef and guiness pie yesterday sim you spying on me thanks again guys cant get my head round it being the tyres .Brake adjustment done as you say Sim under load
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

fuel  Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel    fuel  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 05, 2017 7:40 am

Radial tyres are more fuel efficient then Cross-Ply tyres (A Quote from Michelin - Another factor is rolling resistance. At all but very low speeds this resistance is dwarfed by the resistance extended on the body of
the car by its passenger through the air. The principle contributor to rolling resistance is the friction provided by the loaded tires of the vehicle. Newer tire designs, in particular the steel belted radialply tires, provide a substantial reduction ranging from 15 percent on ice to 45 percent on sand. This may be translated into a fuel economy of 5 to 10 percent on the average road.), so that may be a factor but as Yam said, a 14% difference seems a lot. How long have you had the bike???? When you were getting the better range, were you conscious of the condition of your old tyres so you took it a bit 'easier', then when you changed the tyres you are now a hooligan again?? 
Traffic levels are increasing all the time, so average speeds are decreasing and using the gears/throttle more will also not help due to the traffic. Are you so used to the bike now that you are using the gears/throttle more???
Slightly binding Brakes will have an impact but it does not sound like that is the case. 
Have you changed the type of fuel you use, some people say that using Super Unleaded can get up 10% better Fuel Economy.
Back to top Go down
G.Terence
Valued Member
G.Terence

fuel  Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel    fuel  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 05, 2017 10:16 am

Ardie,
My experience is the exact opposite to you. With the I R C tyres a full tank would do about 160 mpg. After fitting Bridgestone tyres  consumption is 180 plus on each tank. You appear to me to have a rolling restriction of some kind.

G.Terence
Back to top Go down
Skidalot
Very Valued VIP Member
Skidalot

fuel  Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel    fuel  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 05, 2017 10:46 am

v-twin wrote:
some people say that using Super Unleaded can get up 10% better Fuel Economy.

Ah-ha!  fuel  3993731222   That would go some way to explaining why the fuel light on my van van sometimes comes on about 10 miles earlier than at other times! fuel  433968
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

fuel  Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel    fuel  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 05, 2017 12:55 pm

Also are you enjoying the riding more since changing to better tyres? The more confidence you have in a bike the faster you go and the quicker you use the throttle!
Back to top Go down
ardie
Valued Member
ardie

fuel  Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel    fuel  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 06, 2017 1:14 am

Old tyres had good tread, cracking started to appear on side walls so binned them ,have bike almost three years noticed this nearly a year ago .I have been riding like I always have no different never have ridden  this bike hard .In 40yrs of biking never had such a sudden drop in mpg I know its not my riding that's the cause .Andrew and Justin good and valid points I have gone out and ridden like a pussy no difference . Kept to same fuel for next 3 or 4 tank fills then changed to elsewhere no difference where I go to ride is on the coast mostly  know the roads to avoid any traffic. On some tanks I was getting 190mls  the best being 196 or so,   was a bit of a thing with me to try to get 200 had a  bet with a mate   . I did do a lot of two up riding but last year or more its been mostly   solo as wifes knee is fecked thanks again for the input guys . That's interesting Terence  food for thought  just cant get head round it
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

fuel  Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel    fuel  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 06, 2017 3:37 pm

carbed of fi?
Back to top Go down
ardie
Valued Member
ardie

fuel  Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel    fuel  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 06, 2017 4:03 pm

fi with cobra pipes and power pro fitted already when I got it, bike always has and still does ride really sweet Justin
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

fuel  Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel    fuel  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 07, 2017 11:14 am

Might want to check if the power pro is still actually working
Back to top Go down
Badger
Valued Member
Badger

fuel  Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel    fuel  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 07, 2017 7:04 pm

ardie wrote:
.............. . I did do a lot of two up riding but last year or more its been mostly   solo as wifes knee is fecked.........
You can get lowered rear foot pegs, that worked for my missis.
Back to top Go down
ardie
Valued Member
ardie

fuel  Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel    fuel  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 08, 2017 2:04 pm

yes I got lowered rear pegs as soon as I got the bike as wifes knee has been bad for years but realy bad now, totally agree they do make a difference thanks badger
Back to top Go down
ardie
Valued Member
ardie

fuel  Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel    fuel  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 08, 2017 2:21 pm

Justin first bike ive had with power pro on but bike is running sweet if it isn't working properly surely I would have noticed something, will take a look at it check connections . I have no manual for it so not sure what lights should be doing.Wont be able to work at bike for a week or so. will look online about power pro thanks Justin if I knew it was tyres I could live with it not knowing annoying.
Back to top Go down
ardie
Valued Member
ardie

fuel  Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel    fuel  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 17, 2017 7:55 pm

I found a problem with connections on the power pro its tri pot one , all lights come on when turned on.Start up and only green stays on all normal .If I move the wires all come on its hit or miss at times the connectors are t tap ones two of them in total they a are shite system .I WANT TO replace with posi locks  if poss but wires are really thin no room to solder very little room full stop. Does anyone know what guage these wires are.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

fuel  Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel    fuel  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

fuel
Page 1 of 1