Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Battery heated gloves

Go down 
+6
miker
Twojobmick
captain crash
Badger
Mr Intruder
Bluesman
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

Battery heated gloves Empty
PostSubject: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 5:57 pm

Bought these battery powered heated gloves in Maplin today - £14.99
LINK

3 AA batteries in each cuff for about 2 hours power. Guy in the shop tested them with rechargeables and they seem fine. Okay - they don't have armour but they have a big cuff to go over your sleeve and can be used on or off the bike in winter. I can use these on either of my 2 bikes. I thought for the price and if using rechargeables, they were a bargain. Very comfy and well padded with non slip rubber grip. Went out for a ride yesterday and my fingertips were just starting to hurt on the open road. I have not got heated grips so thought I'd give these a whirl - will let you know how well they work when it gets cold (I did suffer quite a bit last year with frozen digits being that I like to ride through the winter except when it's icy of course).
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 6:03 pm

I have thought about heated gloves in the past but dont like the idea of a wires attached to gloves, Seems like a novel alternative.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 6:16 pm

They also have heated waistcoats, insoles etc. Maybe we need never be cold again - as long as you've got lots of batteries!! Only fingers seems to bother me although I understand if you heat up your body, the extremities get warmer.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 7:51 pm

Rode today with gloves switched on - face was a bit chilly in my full face helmet but fingers as warm as toast. We will see how they perform when the temperature really drops. As for the face, when the winter takes hold I shall wear my balaclava.
Back to top Go down
Badger
Valued Member
Badger

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 7:44 am

This interests me.
My ride to work is only 7 mile, but in the winter, my fingers suffer, the seven miles is just long enough for pain.
I don't want to mess with wires and connectors on my little 125, so these seem ideal. Not bothered about waterproofing really, as I find when it's raining, it's not as cold anyway, and I can use other gloves.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 9:46 am

Badger wrote:
This interests me.
My ride to work is only 7 mile, but in the winter, my fingers suffer, the seven miles is just long enough for pain.
I don't want to mess with wires and connectors on my little 125, so these seem ideal. Not bothered about waterproofing really, as I find when it's raining, it's not as cold anyway, and I can use other gloves.

Seems ideal for what you want! The large are quite big (ex.large?) and the medium would suit a lot of people but best to try. I went into Swansea store and they had loads by the door - at that price I would think they will sell. There's not an excess of heat but will keep away the painful fingers I'm sure. At least it gives me something to do with all these rechargeable batteries I've got lying around!
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 3:20 pm

Very clever, I might get a set for my pushbike Battery heated gloves 852880
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 7:18 pm

Went out today. Wore the gloves without switching them on. Rode for 1/2 hour and the wind chill was up a bit but the fleecy lining kept fingers ok. Then as my fingers started to complain as I went over the Gower at speed, I stopped and switched the heat on. Wow - what a difference - hands felt at normal temperature - I felt I could ride all day. Seems much safer to me to have full response of the fingers. Batteries seem to have lasted a couple of hours now (2300 rechargeable). Will recharge every couple of rides I think. My rides in the winter can be about and hour now - last year kept to 1/2 hour ish. Sooooooo........went off to Maplins this afternoon and got another pair to keep in the box in case these break sometime down the line and they stop making them. I prefer the AA battery ones - could not be bothered with being connected to the bike battery but for longer tours, I suppose this would be the way to go. I am not usually bothered by the wind underneath my full face helment but of course with warm hands, today I did notice. Still everything helps when you are a winter rider! We'll see how they cope when the temps drop nearer to freezing (I don't ride below about 2 degrees C and won't if there is any danger of ice) Heated grips are fine as well I'm sure but as I ride 2 bikes, I find the heated gloves a better option, particularly as I have a habit of changing my bikes from time to time!
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 7:51 pm

Well after reading what you have said after testing them I reckon a trip to Maplins could be in order for me, at that price and your recommendation of the product, that's good enough for me Battery heated gloves 3498837457
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 8:20 pm

The proofs in the pudding at at that price, happy days. Battery heated gloves 881924
Back to top Go down
Badger
Valued Member
Badger

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2011 11:19 am

I have a pair now, but not tested them yet.
I have bought a charger that takes 8 batteries, so that is the gloves, and two batteries over. I have 12 batteries, so as it takes about 180 mins to charge, it should be ok for what I need. I see you can get solar chargers, but we don't get a lot of sun in Wales, especially in the winter.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2011 5:09 pm

Badger wrote:
I have a pair now, but not tested them yet.
I have bought a charger that takes 8 batteries, so that is the gloves, and two batteries over. I have 12 batteries, so as it takes about 180 mins to charge, it should be ok for what I need. I see you can get solar chargers, but we don't get a lot of sun in Wales, especially in the winter.

Glad you got them - be interesting when you have tried them. On chargers....I have two, one is a slow 20 hour trickle job for 4 (which I believe gives max life to batteries) and the other an ultra fast one which will charge 4 in 1/2 hour but will give shortest battery lfe. I most often use the fast one, because I can't wait! I am charging 4 and then flicking on to the 2 charge setting so six batteries takes me about 45 minutes. The slower chargers probably give longer power output as well.
Back to top Go down
Badger
Valued Member
Badger

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2011 11:04 pm

It's gotta be good. Before now, I have had to stop at the side of the road about a mile from work, as it was too painful to continue. My workplace is just that little bit too far to ignore the cold in the fingers.
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 9:38 pm

I went in to Maplins after reading your post about these Bluesman. Asked the girl behind the desk about them and she said that they'd had a few pair brought back by motorcyclists because the fingers are not heated, just the palms. She warned me off them by also telling me that they shouldn't be left on for longer than about 10 mins at a time and that they were designed to be turned on / off as required rather than left on constantly. Didn't fancy pulling in every 10/15 mins to turn them on / off so consequently I didn't buy them .. sound like she didn't know what she was talking about !

Planning to get heated grips as soon as i can anyway but might get a pair of these in the meantime after all these comments.

Mick
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 12:06 am

Twojobmick wrote:
I went in to Maplins after reading your post about these Bluesman. Asked the girl behind the desk about them and she said that they'd had a few pair brought back by motorcyclists because the fingers are not heated, just the palms. She warned me off them by also telling me that they shouldn't be left on for longer than about 10 mins at a time and that they were designed to be turned on / off as required rather than left on constantly. Didn't fancy pulling in every 10/15 mins to turn them on / off so consequently I didn't buy them .. sound like she didn't know what she was talking about !

Planning to get heated grips as soon as i can anyway but might get a pair of these in the meantime after all these comments.

Mick

Interesting..........I rode for about 1/2 hour -seemed nice and warm. The wires go along the fingers. I will try when we get a really cold day and report back!
Back to top Go down
Badger
Valued Member
Badger

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 1:42 pm

I was going to try these out today, but one set of batteries had drained.
My fault, as when I checked the packs, one was already switched on.
My advice here, is to put them safe, with the pack out of the glove, visibly
switched off, as when they are in the glove, it is real easy to accidentally
switch it on when moving them around.

............................................................................... Battery heated gloves 15281
Back to top Go down
miker
miker

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 3:28 pm

i want some! my fingers were numb after 1/2hour yesterday, also thinking of making some jury rigged wind deflectors i can slip over the levers.
Back to top Go down
Badger
Valued Member
Badger

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 3:43 pm

Good wind deflectors cost around £80, or you can do the old dispatch rider's trick,
and cut down a couple of plastic milk cartons.
Back to top Go down
miker
miker

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 3:48 pm

milk cartons eh, i was thinking of fashioning something out of some black sheet rubber i have. before i get any sarky comments its sound insulating rubber.
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 10:06 am

Or handlebar muffs Miker, look a bit woosy but they do the job mate !
Back to top Go down
smart
Valued Member
smart

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves    Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 9:52 pm

bloody hell mick we complained when zen(dave) was going to wear his -------mind you it was august! Battery heated gloves 3213823784
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 9:58 pm

Zen seems to have disappeared off the face of the planet, he went from very active to not seen almost over night, not sure why
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 10:01 pm

miker wrote:
i want some! my fingers were numb after 1/2hour yesterday, also thinking of making some jury rigged wind deflectors i can slip over the levers.
I managed to get hold of an old screen off of a mate, I might try cutting it soon and try to make some screen lowers and some wind deflectors for my hands. if it works great, if not then nothing lost!
Back to top Go down
smart
Valued Member
smart

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves    Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 10:11 pm

Know what you mean MrI mick pmed & texted him last time we rode out but got no responce so don't know what's happening?
Back to top Go down
smart
Valued Member
smart

PostSubject: re heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 12:19 am

thought this may be of use! http://www.primrose.co.uk/basic-black-heated-gloves-p-686.html?src=list_btn&cPath=37_1189
Back to top Go down
miker
miker

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 12:36 am

why do i get the strange feeling that if i get the heated gloves that my knees and feet will be next to be unbearably cold, heated knee pads and socks anyone Battery heated gloves 636111
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 10:24 am

Yeah I been giving this some thought, I reckon we should sell our bikes and buy nice warm cars lol!
Back to top Go down
smart
Valued Member
smart

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves    Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 7:19 pm

Bloody hell MrI that's a bit extreem, what sort of car that will put a smile on your face and get you through traffic? Battery heated gloves 2343124779
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 8:31 pm

I think it's called a Sherman Battery heated gloves 852880
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 10:11 pm

A tank up the high street now thats the sort of thing dreams are made of lol!
Back to top Go down
Farmboy

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 10:10 am

Wings have had foot warmers for a long time. Two little flaps that open on the chrome lower body panel to direct engine/radiator heat to flow around your boots. Not so much warming your feet as you notice they're not overly cold. Manual operation from the rider's position. Close them on hot days!
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 10:21 am

Now thats Very clever
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 7:38 pm

Yes let's not forget the bike's natural central heating system - I often rest my hands lightly on the engine sides when stopped at lights. Storing gloves on the engine whilst parked (not too hot of course!) is another. I like the boot warmer idea too!
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 11:15 pm

Went out yesterday and really got sore fingers even with my armoured gloves and inner gloves so.............today I went out with the Maplin Specials, fully charged and switched on from home. Very good and with the wind it was pretty cold here. I could feel the wires touching my fingers. After an hour with them on (stopped a couple of times but left them switched on) only one finger was feeling slightly cold (left hand index always my worst) but as I wont ride more than about 3 more degrees colder I recon the heated gloves with my inners should see me through the winter. Trouble is, as someone said, my feet got a bit cold today - you can't win! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Badger
Valued Member
Badger

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 10:16 pm

They certainly do the job. I went to work, and one glove wasn't working.
Got to work, and one hand was freezing, and the other was fine.
There's the proof.
[a little bit of wire under the connector fixed it].
Back to top Go down
Bunso Steel
Valued Member
Bunso Steel

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 11:31 pm

Definitely going to get some of these. It's starting to get really painful riding to work. Made the mistake of putting my hands straight on the radiator once I got there to warm up. Felt like my fingertips were going to explode out of the ends of my gloves, incredibly painful. The heated gloves wont be armoured, but I actually think its more dangerous having armoured hands that are so cold they can't operate the controls properly, rather than nice warm unarmored hands.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 7:46 am

Bunso Steel wrote:
Definitely going to get some of these. It's starting to get really painful riding to work. Made the mistake of putting my hands straight on the radiator once I got there to warm up. Felt like my fingertips were going to explode out of the ends of my gloves, incredibly painful. The heated gloves wont be armoured, but I actually think its more dangerous having armoured hands that are so cold they can't operate the controls properly, rather than nice warm unarmored hands.

Good point about warmth being safe. I put ordinary thin leather driving or ladies gloves inside my Maplin heated gloves as they are quite a generous fit anyway. This gives a little more protection from possible scrapes as well as even more warmth. Make sure you get rechargeable batteries if you get the gloves - that way you can always have them fully charhged before you go out. The little switch can go to off easily when you are putting the gloves on so a little tip is to put sellotape over it. You can still see the red l.e.d. and it gives you peace of mind that they are actually on. In the recent near zero riding conditions my hands have not been warm in them but definitely not cold!
Back to top Go down
Badger
Valued Member
Badger

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 7:55 am

John is right there, these gloves are not 'hot' or the same as heated grips turned up full, but they do take that 'painful edge' off the ride.
I am thinking of getting a pair of handlebar mitts to help as well, to remove the wind chill factor.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 9:09 am

Badger wrote:
John is right there, these gloves are not 'hot' or the same as heated grips turned up full, but they do take that 'painful edge' off the ride.
I am thinking of getting a pair of handlebar mitts to help as well, to remove the wind chill factor.

Check out the Tech-7 mitts at M&P - I got a pair for £18 and they really do cut out the wind - look a bit big mind, but better than being cold!
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 9:59 am

I went to buy some last week & they had none Battery heated gloves 474255
Back to top Go down
Badger
Valued Member
Badger

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 11:16 am

Mr Intruder wrote:

John must have had the last pair. [ I wouldn't let that lie if I were you ] Battery heated gloves 852880
Badger . . . champion shit stirrer 1997 - 99
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 12:04 pm

Badger wrote:
Badger . . . champion shit stirrer 1997 - 99
Bloody hell Badger, I am so sorry but I am going to have to have to remove you from the forum as we have a minimum age of 16yrs old. By your own admission you are 2yrs old. Battery heated gloves 2740622253 Battery heated gloves 3213823784
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 2:32 pm

Nice knowing you Badger Battery heated gloves 18617
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 5:19 pm

Mr Intruder wrote:

Gloves or mitts?
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 6:06 pm

Gloves, they had heated vests in though that I was tempted at buying, but didn't.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 8:57 pm

I think they're still around - I've seen them in a couple of branches lately. I removed the innards of one glove to fit inside my normal bike glove. So now I have 1.5 pairs! The inner fits well inside the leather glove but I have still to find a way of housing the battery pack. If I do work it out I might have a cheapo pair of battery heated armoured gloves!

I think the answer will be to lengthen the cable and push the pack under the glove strap - perhaps you can get spare extension connectors? Battery heated gloves DSCN2303
Back to top Go down
CycleBiker
CycleBiker

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 3:54 am

Handlebar muffs sure do look goofy but you know what - they really work!
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 8:04 am

CycleBiker wrote:
Handlebar muffs sure do look goofy but you know what - they really work!

Battery heated gloves 184121345
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 11:38 am

Battery heated gloves 400-256735?$h20listthumb$
VELCRO®Brand Stick on Squares 25mm - Black
Cat. code: 256735-0
VELCRO®Brand Stick on Squares can be used for securing a wide range of items, ideal for keeping things to hand.

just a thought john...this stuff is great, up their with cable ties Battery heated gloves 1218875559 .
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 12:17 pm

peter perfect wrote:
Battery heated gloves 400-256735?$h20listthumb$
VELCRO®Brand Stick on Squares 25mm - Black
Cat. code: 256735-0
VELCRO®Brand Stick on Squares can be used for securing a wide range of items, ideal for keeping things to hand.

just a thought john...this stuff is great, up their with cable ties Battery heated gloves 1218875559 .

Good idea - I think I've got some of that somewhere!Battery heated gloves 184121345
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Battery heated gloves   Battery heated gloves Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Battery heated gloves
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next