Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

* V&H Quick Release Baffles? *

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

* V&H Quick Release Baffles? * Empty
PostSubject: * V&H Quick Release Baffles? *   * V&H Quick Release Baffles? * Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 5:04 pm

Pat yourself on the back, you were correct with your first thought when you read the title before opening this thread
They don't exist........
.....yet!
I have been looking in to the cost of quite baffles for my bike so that during the week I can still use my bike early in the mornings, without pissing all the neighbours off.
* V&H Quick Release Baffles? * 880307 * V&H Quick Release Baffles? * 453769
Anyway this go me thinking about how they are made and how the actually attach to the bike. I would like a baffle that can be installed in a few seconds and uninstalled in the same amount of time. After a bit of research it would seem as expected that such a thing does not exist. So I have been looking at what a baffle is and how it is designed.
To the best of my reckoning we are talking about nothing more than a bit of light weight pipe that has a few holes in it from about half way. Now I realise that I have totally simplified what it is or possibly even completely overlooked something but I am thinking he who dares wins. Nothing ventured nothing gained and all that.
There is no great science here it is a pretty basic bit of kit by my reckoning so my plan is to make up a couple of baffles and work out some kind of quick fix solution for a fast install/uninstall.
If anyone has any ideas then please speak up as I certainly ain’t no engineer. I am just an averagely able person that is prepared to try something a little different for the sake of my own curiosity and hopefully yours.

Last edited by Mr Intruder on Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: * V&H Quick Release Baffles? *   * V&H Quick Release Baffles? * Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 5:47 pm

The Intruder wrote:
If anyone has any ideas then please speak up as I certainly ain’t no engineer. I am just an averagely able person that is prepared to try something a little different for the sake of my own curiosity and hopefully yours.

Well my Scorpion baffle slots in the rear with a neat bolt secured into the muffler by a hex key. Now if I didn't mind boring out my new V&H pipes, I'd find/make a baffle that fitted in the back with a rebate to stop it sliding in, bore a hole through the pipe up and up through the baffle and secure with a small bolt inserted down and a nut pushed up from below. Alternatively, if the baffle could be tapped, then a hex key bolt could come from below, if there were enough room below to insert the key. Loctite may stop it vibrating out. I suspect I am less of an engineer than your good self, more of a Heath Robinson! I suppose another idea would be a collar that expands inside the pipe as you screw a bolt - but now I'm just guessing. Or I'd visit my local metal worker/smithy who can do almost anything and say "Any ideas mate?" I also seem to read that guys with drag pipes fill them with something that bungs them up somewhat - not sure where I read this. Anyway * V&H Quick Release Baffles? * 3768075377
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: * V&H Quick Release Baffles? *   * V&H Quick Release Baffles? * Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 5:58 pm

* V&H Quick Release Baffles? * 428386 Yeah what he said * V&H Quick Release Baffles? * 852880

If you put a couple of screws in the rear of the exhaust then the rear baffle was made with an oversized rear plate that had some cut outs in it you could make a kind of slip over and twist lock type of thingy.

Oh well I know what I mean kind of, well I think I do, well I did but I'm not so sure any more * V&H Quick Release Baffles? * 938687981
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: * V&H Quick Release Baffles? *   * V&H Quick Release Baffles? * Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 7:15 pm

Hmmmmmm some very good thinking there chaps, I'm starting to think this really is a goer * V&H Quick Release Baffles? * 3005623951

However I do eventually do this, it will have to be simple so as to make it easy for anyone that wants to copy it.

I want no tools required to be used for the install/uninstall
I want them to fit and detach in seconds

The only problem with simple idea's is, its easier said than done to keep them simple pale
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: * V&H Quick Release Baffles? *   * V&H Quick Release Baffles? * Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 10:15 pm

The Intruder wrote:

Maybe a quick release lever like on a bicycle seat post or wheel.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: * V&H Quick Release Baffles? *   * V&H Quick Release Baffles? * Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 10:34 pm

The Intruder wrote:

Or an end cap with a smaller aperture secured with a clamp that has a key.
Final thought - have a look at Highway Hawk etc - pipes that have baffle fitted - how do they do it.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: * V&H Quick Release Baffles? *   * V&H Quick Release Baffles? * Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 9:43 am

will do blues, some great ideas coming out of this.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: * V&H Quick Release Baffles? *   * V&H Quick Release Baffles? * Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 7:24 pm

captain crash wrote:

If you put a couple of screws in the rear of the exhaust then the rear baffle was made with an oversized rear plate that had some cut outs in it you could make a kind of slip over and twist lock type of thingy
Bluesman wrote:

Maybe a quick release lever like on a bicycle seat post or wheel.

Eureka

* V&H Quick Release Baffles? * 3298
What a team * V&H Quick Release Baffles? * 586905
I think I know exactly what you mean Crash & will do something very similar * V&H Quick Release Baffles? * 184121345
Blues you are spot on with that * V&H Quick Release Baffles? * 184121345

I will try to do a drawing at the weekend if I get the chance, but in my minds eye I can totally visualise it.
I have spoken with a friend who has explained how baffles work and how you manipulate the air flow to reduce noise without overly restricting air flow
I have spoken to another friend of mine who has got the quick release levers in various sizes
I need to pop up to the local exhaust shop for some suitably sized and weighted pipe.
There will be several prototypes I am sure, before we actually get a quick release baffle that actually works as desired.
Let the fabrication begin
* V&H Quick Release Baffles? * 87893 * V&H Quick Release Baffles? * 87893 * V&H Quick Release Baffles? * 87893 * V&H Quick Release Baffles? * 87893
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: * V&H Quick Release Baffles? *   * V&H Quick Release Baffles? * Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 9:05 pm

Yeah Baby
Who's the daddy, I knew I would have an idea one day that someone would think I should have thunk :shock:
Instead of the usual sort of thunking that I do that should not really be thought * V&H Quick Release Baffles? * 249703
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: * V&H Quick Release Baffles? *   * V&H Quick Release Baffles? * Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

* V&H Quick Release Baffles? *
Page 1 of 1