Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Consider the original context of advice & never take any as gospel

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

Consider the original context of advice & never take any as gospel   Empty
PostSubject: Consider the original context of advice & never take any as gospel    Consider the original context of advice & never take any as gospel   Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 2:50 pm

A Member wrote:
I took up the question of whether the bike would handle the new pipes without an extra processor with the guy who sold them to me (Custom Cruisers Bournemouth (or is it Metric, can't remember ?). He said he fits loads and loads and if I were to fit a processor I would be wasting my money.
I am so shocked by this statement that the shop made that I am going to ring Jon myself to ask why he gave that advice as it is nonsensical.

Be care when considering which advice you take or listen too and be sure of what context that advice was originally given.

The C800 can cope with & does not require a processor when a replacement aftermarket exhaust is fitted, this is true. However when you take the baffles out, you have massively changed the original flow rate of that exhaust.

I am shocked at the statement that a fuel processor when used in conjunction with an aftermarket exhaust is a waste of money & offer any member with a stock or aftermarket pipe only bike, the opportunity to test ride my bike as it will leave their bike in a cloud of dust. Sifirider was blown away by the power difference between my bike and his and I was also when I rode his.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Consider the original context of advice & never take any as gospel    Consider the original context of advice & never take any as gospel   Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 7:58 pm

Dunno whether Jon was referring to baffles in or out. I seem to remember he explained that the lambda sensor was there to do the job and to put in another processor was duplicating things, hence the 'waste of money' statement. This may have been qualified if I had pressed but as a pipe 'newbie' I was satisfied he knew his stuff, being an exhaust 'expert'. I agree it is important correct info is passed on to members. Sometimes when conflicting opinions arise we often take the stance which suits us best. Since fitting my pipes I have learnt quite a bit more, some of it first hand. So far the original advice seems pretty good - 6000 miles later bike still running well and plugs spot on at the service 3500 miles later. As for the removal of baffles......I've spoken to many bikers who have fuel processors and swear by them. I have spoken to a fair few who have not and have not yet met any who experienced problems. We have a large membership - I was hoping a few more would share their experiences. I have no doubt my bike would run better if I added a processor but as yet I am quite happy with the performance. I have no plans to spend any more on my bike as it is just perfect for my needs however if the performance falls off I will need to take action. I actually run my pipes straight through very seldom so this whole episode may be a storm in a teacup but will be interested to hear Jon's words put in context.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Consider the original context of advice & never take any as gospel    Consider the original context of advice & never take any as gospel   Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 8:32 pm

Bluesman wrote:
I seem to remember he explained that the lambda sensor was there to do the job and to put in another processor was duplicating things, hence the 'waste of money' statement.

The more this guy at the shop is quoted the more crazy it is getting lol!

The Lambda sensor is ther to reduce emmissions, it has nothing to do with tuning Consider the original context of advice & never take any as gospel   3213823784

I am looking forward to the next quote with baited breath, it just keeps getting funnier Consider the original context of advice & never take any as gospel   2740622253
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Consider the original context of advice & never take any as gospel    Consider the original context of advice & never take any as gospel   Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 9:09 pm

captain crash wrote:

The Lambda sensor is there to reduce emmissions, it has nothing to do with tuning .......

I understand that an oxygen sensor sends measurements of the amounts of oxygen flowing into the intake or exhaust system to the ECU which then adjusts the fuel-to-air ratio for performance as well as for emissions-related purposes. Perhaps this is what he meant in relation to fuel processing.

Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Consider the original context of advice & never take any as gospel    Consider the original context of advice & never take any as gospel   Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 9:19 pm

It doesn't adjust the fuel-to-air ratio for performance John but it does have a minor adverse effect on it as a result of the desired reduced emissions.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Consider the original context of advice & never take any as gospel    Consider the original context of advice & never take any as gospel   Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 10:35 pm

captain crash wrote:
It doesn't adjust the fuel-to-air ratio for performance John but it does have a minor adverse effect on it as a result of the desired reduced emissions.
Spot on Crash.

I think that sometimes we soak in so much information when things are new to us that we may confuse the context that it was given in and also muddle information up due to similar and cross information. I know I have done that myself in the past being totally honest.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Consider the original context of advice & never take any as gospel    Consider the original context of advice & never take any as gospel   Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 6:45 pm

Mr Intruder wrote:
I am so shocked by this statement that the shop made that I am going to ring Jon myself to ask why he gave that advice as it is nonsensical.

Just curious did you speak to him?
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Consider the original context of advice & never take any as gospel    Consider the original context of advice & never take any as gospel   Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 8:20 pm

Yes, lets just say he thought there may have been some confusion.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Consider the original context of advice & never take any as gospel    Consider the original context of advice & never take any as gospel   Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Consider the original context of advice & never take any as gospel
Page 1 of 1