Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Billyz
Billyz

V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts Empty
PostSubject: V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts   V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 5:58 pm

Hi everyone,
Not used the trike much this year, but following the fitting of HH shortcuts i had the carb rejetted. The only real difference i noticed was that i used more fuel! I have spent a lot of time trying to get the 'sound' right with varying degrees of success. Intially i bought new HH baffles to replace the really short ones supplied, then, as the baffles were open ended i closed off the ends. I wrapped them at various times with baffle wrap, thick and thin, stove rope, and finally stainless steel wool. In retospect i think the stove rope was the most successful, producing a reasonable sound. There some issues getting the mixture right, currently it is far to rich and is not running well. But i have decided to call it a day with the shortcuts and have replaced them with VH cruzers bought off E bay. These were a bargain and i fitted them today. These sound fantastic at idle, loud when the throttle is opened. I am sure i'll experiment with packing as i did with the shortcuts! Anyway, trike to have mixture issue sorted next week so hopefully all should be ok. I will put shortcuts up for sale in the for sale section if anyone interested.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts   V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 6:35 pm

I have the Cruisers fitted with extra quiet baffles in as well and it makes them much more pleasant at speed, where as before the constant loud drone at speed was pissing me off.
As you have added aftermarket pipes and are re-jetting have you added a K&N filter to really draw out the extra available power?
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts   V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 6:39 pm

Dave I thought you had a matrix somewhere that will help work out the proper jetting on Bills bike?
Back to top Go down
Billyz
Billyz

PostSubject: Re: V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts   V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 6:59 pm

Haven't gone down that route yet, to be honest just want to get this baby running right. I think i've cracked it with V&H's but have seen the quiet baffles mentioned quite a few times, i'll see how i get on with the standard baffles first but if i'm not satisfied then thats my next step. As an aside, those baffles were in and out of those shortcuts more times than ......... well, you know!
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts   V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 10:11 pm

Hi Bill you could always look at ebay "DB Killers" there are amass of baffles there decently priced.
Back to top Go down
Billyz
Billyz

PostSubject: Re: V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts   V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 10:34 pm

Absolutely. So many on the market it's difficult to know which to try. Trouble is some are quite expensive aren't they especially when you find they are not quite what you want ( as with the HH shortcuts) . I'll keep reading the posts and try to to learn from others experience.
Did you use the old exhaust hangers to fit your cruzers? I didn't have mine so had to fabricate my own system. Pretty heath robinson but seems to work. Didn't know if it was worth buying used from e bay. I think when the bike was triked more than a few modifications were done.! Certainly the bracket supplied with the cruzers didn't line up with what was on the trike, anyway, as luck would have it i saved and collected various exhaust brackets from the different applications i have used over the last year that i was able to knock up a practical, if not attractive, solution. Seems solid enough, i suppose a few hundred miles will test how durable it is. I only asked about the bracket because the destructions seemed to suggest that you bolted the new bracket onto the old one. Was that the case?
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts   V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 3:54 pm

I can't remember to be honest, when I get home at the weekend I will have a look.
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts   V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 2:51 pm

Hi Bill yes to your answer,the bracket is on the bike that you connect the V&H one to,so as to accept the silencers.
Back to top Go down
Billyz
Billyz

PostSubject: Re: V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts   V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 3:07 pm

Aha! Thanks for that Alfie. Think i can get one off ebay but i think i'll wait and see how my mod holds up before spending another 20 or 30 quid. Spoke to my local bike man about the rich mixture. When i described the symptoms he wondered if it might be the floats? Anyway booked for week after next for look see. Hope its a simple fix !
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts   V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 4:16 pm

Ok Bill,must admit I love my Cruizers,they look and sound sweet.Hope you have an easy fix with your mixture.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts   V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 4:23 pm

If you are getting someone else to sort out the carb and jetting, ideally a replacement air filter (K&N) should go in now before they do it. That way you will get the maximum power out of the bike!
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts   V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 6:45 pm

Yes it would be a real shame to add aftermarket pipes and rejet the bike without the hi-flow filter as the pipes are not being aloud to do the job the are intended for, adding more power
Back to top Go down
Billyz
Billyz

PostSubject: Re: V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts   V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 7:05 pm

Yes, just been looking them up on ebay, about £24. Should be here by next week.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts   V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2012 12:27 am

Oh that's great, with your new exhaust and a reject you will definitely notice the power increase
Back to top Go down
Billyz
Billyz

PostSubject: Re: V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts   V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 12:59 pm

Hi guys, just an update.
My man at Paul Nobbs motorcyles had the trike in on Monday. Took the new K&N filter with me as I wanted to chat with him about the pro's and cons. Anyway, the upshot is that the carb has been rejetted, K&N filter, new 'iridium' plugs ( iridium? Isn't that for your 70th wedding anniversary?). He took it for a spin and said 90 was no problem! 90......., 65 is as fast as i've been! Took it home and it seems a different beast. Except for an intermittent backfire. And I mean backfire not the popping that some complain of. So before i do anything else i am going to replace the manifold crush gaskets as i didn't replace them putting on the shortcuts or the cruzers. I know i know, lazy or what. If this doesn't work what do you think, pair valve? By the way £90 for all that, i didn't think that was to bad.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts   V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 7:11 pm

Great to read that you decided to go with all 3 mods to get maximum power out of your trike Bill, doing just 2 would have been just wrong V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts 3498837457 Very unlikely you will still backfire If you change the exhaust gasket and disable the PAIR valve. You can plug the PAIR valve with a bolt or golf T which a lot of people do to disable it rather than go to all the hastle of removing the system. I think it was Alfie? that disabled his a while ago.
Back to top Go down
Billyz
Billyz

PostSubject: Re: V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts   V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 2:43 pm

Hi everyone,
Just an update on the above post, I ended up buying the proper exhaust gaskets when I saw how substantial they were when I took the old ones out. much much thicker than some of the cheapies and having gone this far I wanted to do the job properly. Ordered them from 5 ways motorcycle centre. Turned out there was a delay as they were closed for one week because of the Hull fair week? Anyway, they did ring me and explain and put a digital tyre pressure gauge in the package by means of compensation, nice guys. Anyway, this delayed finishing the job but eventually fitted the gaskets last week. I am thrilled to say no more backfiring! Yea! Took the trike out today and i came back with a bit of a grin on my face as I think this is the best she has ever driven, she really sounds on song (She?) the exhausts i must say sound brilliant especially on idle, but my man at Paul Nobbs motorcycles hinted that they may be too loud for the MOT.
Anyone any advice on the Hard Krome quiet baffle? Seen it advertised but as its from the states this is gonna be expensive, also seen the DB killers on Ebay. Any views anyone? If you've got cruzers did they get thru' the MOT?
Cheers everyone
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts   V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 4:18 pm

Hi Bill unfortunately it is up to the tester on the day with exausts,I have had mine for nearly two mot,s and had no trouble.I made my own baffles there is a post on here somewere.I would go for the DB Killers,mainly on cost alone,Dave (mr intruder) has Hard Krome baffles fitted so you would have to learn from him on them.Bearing in mind all you want is somethimg to quieten it down for the MOT and your own personal level of noise,why go to a lot of expense,there is certainly not enough power gain for the money.Well Bill that is my opinion hope you feel it was something to work on.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts   V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 7:16 pm

Couple of points:

I have never yet had an issue with an MOT tester with regards DB levels but I know some of them can be anal. What I would suggest is to suss them out first, if you are going to a garage that you have not been to before. Pop into a the garage that you are considering using and briefly speak to the MOT tester (leave your bike on tickover so he can hear it), tell him you will be popping in over the next few weeks to book an MOT and tell him you were not sure if the the exhaust levels would be an issue or not. If he says they are OK,ok an MOT. If he says they are to loud, go on to the next place and repeat.

I bought the HK Quiet Baffles & they give me a lovely tone. However in hindsight they are just a set of extra baffles. Any baffles that are of a similar size will give you basically the same result. If considering buying a set from a retailer where it is not possible to see them in person, email or phone and ask them for the size, so that you know they will be correct for your pipes as there are numerous sizes available.

Here are the dimensions of the HK Quiet Baffles
V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts NewBitmapImage
Back to top Go down
Billyz
Billyz

PostSubject: Re: V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts   V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 10:02 pm

Thanks all, luckily i've got some time (next september!) before next MOT due, so i'll see how I go for the moment, unfortunately as its a Trike it has to be a class 3 station and not many of them around the Fens, think i'll have a look again at the cheaper option (the DB killers) or convince someone to buy me HK baffles for christmas! Blimey, this is never ending.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts   V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

V&H cruzers from HH shortcuts
Page 1 of 1