Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Loud, deep and stock - stage3 C800 Exhaust Mod

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

Loud, deep and stock - stage3 C800 Exhaust Mod Empty
PostSubject: Loud, deep and stock - stage3 C800 Exhaust Mod   Loud, deep and stock - stage3 C800 Exhaust Mod Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 12:56 am

Well that’s what I’ve been aiming for anyway. I started with holes bored in the backplates and through both middle plates. Then progressed to a debaffle, removing the backplates and the baffles themselves. I added silencer packing fibreglass to make the sound less high pitched. Now I have moved on to stage 3. Having already made a hole in the 2nd plates and left the holes where the baffle welds were broken, I decided to remove the plates all together as most of the pressure was lost here already. By doing this I would gain quite a few extra inches to increase the volume and add more silencing packing to deepen the tone. I removed both 2nd plates using a home made long chisel although a hole cutter with drill extension would do the job probably better. The resulting pipe is loud (much, much louder than stock) but to get that elusive deep tone I would need to add more packing. The previous debaffling stage left the exhaust note loud, deep on idle but rising sharply on acceleration. So here are pictures of how I filled the pipes on stage 3. I have included a video at the end of the resulting exhaust note

This is a mesh panel from B&Q. Cut one for each pipe to fit the circumference and exact length from where back plate was to the end plate inside
Loud, deep and stock - stage3 C800 Exhaust Mod Mesh

Silencer Packing from M&P (£5) one packet will do both pipes easily. Cut same size as mesh
Loud, deep and stock - stage3 C800 Exhaust Mod Packing

Roll round spray can to get wide cylinder
Loud, deep and stock - stage3 C800 Exhaust Mod Spraycanroll

Roll round mastic tube to get tight cylinder
Loud, deep and stock - stage3 C800 Exhaust Mod Masticroll

Here are the two stages - you end up with 2 tight cyclinders
Loud, deep and stock - stage3 C800 Exhaust Mod Meshrolls

Roll the fibreglass around the tight cylinders and hold ready to insert
Loud, deep and stock - stage3 C800 Exhaust Mod Fibreglassroll

Insert the rolls into the pipe and push under the protruding bit at the back of the last plate
Loud, deep and stock - stage3 C800 Exhaust Mod Inserted

Fiddly bit - bend and hammer with piece of wood until the mesh is tight against the fibreglass and is tucked under the flange of the little lip where the original back plate was (it really will stay in place!) Then spray liberally with flat black HT paint
Loud, deep and stock - stage3 C800 Exhaust Mod Fittedandsprayed
Loud, deep and stock - stage3 C800 Exhaust Mod HighTempSpray

That's it. I really like the deep, loud tone which stays fairly consistent whether idling or revving. It could be a little louder. At the moment I will leave it as is as it seems to be getting louder on its own with use as the heat beds it down. I may cut some off the packing to gain more volume - we'll see. The fuel injection has handled the change admirably - a bit spluttery and poppy at first and then it suddenly accepted the new adjustment and the bike sounds happy and accelerates much the same as before. But now I ride with a lovely low growl. Here is the latest video after about 30 miles of this stage of the mod.

Finally - here is one of the endcaps I made from the old baffle and a new donut plate fixed together with exhaust paste. They could be exhaust pasted or stitch welded to the ends, sprayed black and return the pipes to a slightly louder, deeper stock appearance which could be useful for resale for example. I have not tried this out yet.
Loud, deep and stock - stage3 C800 Exhaust Mod Donut

If anyone is interested in doing this mod - I can recommend it - you will love the unique deep cruiser sound, better than a lot I hear around. Its not got the pedigree of aftermarket but I got a great kick out of doing this one. Time of course will tell but one crack of the throttle will tell you, you have a throbbing exhaust back there - a long, long way removed from stock - if that's what you want of course.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Loud, deep and stock - stage3 C800 Exhaust Mod   Loud, deep and stock - stage3 C800 Exhaust Mod Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 8:10 am

Just watched the video - is actually deeper than the sound track - I think there was distortion coming from my camera - maybe too close. Will have another go soon.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Loud, deep and stock - stage3 C800 Exhaust Mod   Loud, deep and stock - stage3 C800 Exhaust Mod Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 10:02 am

Absolutely fantastic, what an excellent write up and modification done. Loud, deep and stock - stage3 C800 Exhaust Mod 276246
Although I am very happy with my Cruzers if I had seen this mod before I have no doubt I personally would for the time being at least have kept my cash in my pocket & still be running around with modified stockers in place. The tone is so much better than stock (in my opinion) and with the extra possibility of just popping the end cap back on makes this the almost perfect exhaust mod.

This will have to be known as the Bluesman Mod from now on Loud, deep and stock - stage3 C800 Exhaust Mod 65147
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Loud, deep and stock - stage3 C800 Exhaust Mod   Loud, deep and stock - stage3 C800 Exhaust Mod Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 11:57 am

The Intruder wrote:
Absolutely fantastic, what an excellent write up and modification done. Loud, deep and stock - stage3 C800 Exhaust Mod 276246
Couldn't agree more an amazing A-Z instructional post and a lovely rumble Loud, deep and stock - stage3 C800 Exhaust Mod 2170595768

The Intruder wrote:
This will have to be known as the Bluesman Mod from now on Loud, deep and stock - stage3 C800 Exhaust Mod 65147
Well the "Bluesman Mod" will do for me, thats for sure, money is always at the heart of everything I do and I would love a bit more rumble coming from my bike Loud, deep and stock - stage3 C800 Exhaust Mod 184121345
Thanks Bluesman Loud, deep and stock - stage3 C800 Exhaust Mod 65147
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Loud, deep and stock - stage3 C800 Exhaust Mod   Loud, deep and stock - stage3 C800 Exhaust Mod Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 12:12 am

Loud, deep and stock - stage3 C800 Exhaust Mod 433968 for the positive comments - I was unsure about bashing about my new bike but I find it so much more enjoyable to ride now. I have to learn how to ease off the throttle not to startle peope or horses though! Decided to shorten the packing to about half length as it was a bit too low on my ride today. Now it's a little higher but a bit less thumpy. It's quite easy to dial in your own sound with this mod. When I put the mesh back in I snipped the edges around the opening and made a bit of a trumpet shape. When you push it into the pipe it closes up and then snaps back to hold against the small ring where the back plate was. I positioned the packing half way down the pipe. This is open to experiment - open pipes back to the cat for higher, loud note and fully packed pipes for a low quieter rumble. It's down to personal preference (or neighbours!)

Made another video today - used another camera - much better sound. Still can't believe these are stock pipes!

Back to top Go down
pledge
Valued Member
pledge

PostSubject: Re: Loud, deep and stock - stage3 C800 Exhaust Mod   Loud, deep and stock - stage3 C800 Exhaust Mod Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 8:58 am

Sounds nice Loud, deep and stock - stage3 C800 Exhaust Mod 276246
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Loud, deep and stock - stage3 C800 Exhaust Mod   Loud, deep and stock - stage3 C800 Exhaust Mod Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 9:07 am

I love the fact that after the initial mod is done you can change the sound very easily to get exactly what you want
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Loud, deep and stock - stage3 C800 Exhaust Mod   Loud, deep and stock - stage3 C800 Exhaust Mod Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Loud, deep and stock - stage3 C800 Exhaust Mod
Page 1 of 1