Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

* Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod *

Go down 
+2
simbo
Mr Intruder
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

* Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod * Empty
PostSubject: * Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod * Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 3:57 pm

I have mentioned many times on here that I hate the way that the 2003+ UK bikes all seem to have no off switch for the headlight. Leaving the ignition on for only a short period will leave you with a huge power drain to the battery and a bike you can not start.
The answer to that is to bypass the way Mr Suzuki and all the other manufacturers have wired in the headlight with a simple switch. You could do this for both the headlight and the side light but I like to have some illumination out front so have decided for the time being at least, to only address the main beam.

The first thing to do is to undo the 2 screws that hold the front part of the headlight in the bucket and gain access to the internal wiring. Now gently but firmly grip the plug with three wires attached to it in the center & pull. The only reason that you disconnect this is so that you have easier maneuverability when dealing with the wires.

* Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod * IMG_1062_zps38768c8e

Next I cut the black and white wire earth wire, ready to attach extended wiring.

* Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod * IMG_1063_zps7637301a

Then I used heat shrink to join the wires to the new wiring that will lead to the on / off switch.

* Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod * IMG_1066_zps2e5b8897

Always best to check that what you have done is working at every point, so I did a quick test with the bear wires.

Main beam off

* Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod * IMG_1068_zps264014eb

Main beam on

* Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod * IMG_1069_zps415f598f

I will now run the new wires to where I have decided to mount the on / off switch. You could mount the switch anywhere on the bike but I decided I wanted it out of the way and opted for the right side cover. I will simply drill a hole and mount the switch approximatelly where I have indicated, on the underside, rear facing section of the cover.

* Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod * IMG_1072_zps093247b9

This simple mod took 30 minutes in total from start to finish & I now know that I have finally got control of my lights.

(Disclaimer: I am not an automotive electrician, so follow my lead at your own risk)
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod * Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 6:00 pm

Good job Dave * Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod * 2170595768 If you do the rear and side light ? will you use the same switch.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod * Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 6:06 pm

Good one davey boy, as usual well thought and and executed * Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod * 2170595768* Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod * 881924
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod * Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 6:42 pm

Thanks guys * Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod * 433968

Sim, no I would not run them on the same switch because that would give me an all lights on or all lights off scenario. My main issue with the lighting is the huge power draw from the front main beam light, which I now have control over. If I decide I want more control than that & decide to include the side light and rear light as well, I will put in another switch. On a daily basis I like to have my lights on while riding & having just the side light on means that I have that but the draw is less from the moment I turn the key and to be honest if I was using only an on / off switch I would either forget to turn them off or forget to turn them on.
I could have bought a handle bar mounted dual chrome light switch but had 2 issues firstly, no room left on my bars to mount it but more so, I did not want to spend loads of cash on a fancy switch that in reality I would rather not see and won't get used that much one way or another anyway.
For the time being at least, I am happy that I have the ability to switch off the main beam & will only use the switch if I am riding in the dark to reactivate the main beam.
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod * Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 9:38 pm

Good write up as usual Dave, certainly be doing this mod.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod * Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 11:19 pm

Good explanation Dave * Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod * 3498837457 I do like the idea of having lights on during the day, but the small one one (running light) is enough in my opinion, It sometimes feels like I'm being forced to drive a Volvo because the headlight is permanently on, I know it's a safety feature, but you could have someone running 100 yards in front of you with a board displaying your whereabouts and certain people still wouldn't see you!. Good mod and one I'll be doing * Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod * 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod * Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 11:28 pm

Glad you like it guys, bit surprised that I have not read it being done elsewhere to be honest but someone has got to be first I suppose. Did this on all 3 of my DRZ's as having no kicker could lead to major issues if that battery failed on you do to constantly stalling miles from anywhere on a dirt track.
I had the camera flash on in both photos of the lights so it has dimmed the effect of the lights but the side light is actually illumined very well by the bucket and is enough I believe.
Back to top Go down
Proudtexson
VIP Member
Proudtexson

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod * Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 3:13 pm

Dave What amp switch did you use. is 10 amp switch big enough good job with instructions
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod * Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 4:47 pm

You only need a 5 amp switch for a 12v 55/60w light, so your 10 will be fine * Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod * 184121345
Back to top Go down
Proudtexson
VIP Member
Proudtexson

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod * Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 6:00 pm

Thanks. Working on moving headlight foreword to look better batwing. May go ahead. May do this while I got it apart.
Back to top Go down
rossmofo
rossmofo

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod * Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 2:18 pm

Yep, had a flat battery on my k5 drz due to lights being on and the battery wasn't great to start with...nightmare to bump on own with full textiles on when the bike has a jacked rear and your only 5'7" with short legs lol.
Its always good to have control....simple but excellent mod.. * Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod * 65147
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: * Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod *   * Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod * Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

* Mr Intruders Battery Saver Headlight Mod *
Page 1 of 1