Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fork Extenders

Go down 
+6
rossmofo
exile
sanos
simbo
fat intruder
Mr Intruder
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

Fork Extenders Empty
PostSubject: Fork Extenders   Fork Extenders Icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2013 7:24 pm

Anybody seen these before. LINK

Fork Extenders D_GZ-316115

Sanos has fitted fork extenders to his bike (look in the showroom) raising it by 4" in the front, Sanos any input from you would be great on this subject.
I have thought about fork mods before but not got around to it and after searching I found these for £90 delivered to the UK. You would have to remove the fork covers but the bike still looks great like that. The look is very cool and the extra 4" gained would all but eliminate any grounding out on the floorboards.
What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

Fork Extenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Extenders   Fork Extenders Icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2013 7:45 pm

would it make a diferance to handleing at slower speeds would front wheel turn into cornners more ?
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Fork Extenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Extenders   Fork Extenders Icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2013 7:52 pm

I've never seen them before, The forks on Sanos's bike look cool I do agree Fork Extenders 3039991824 C'mon Dave you know you want them Fork Extenders 852880 Get the card out it's spending time Fork Extenders 2747638305
Back to top Go down
sanos
sanos

Fork Extenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Extenders   Fork Extenders Icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 2:17 am

Mr. Intruder, I've seen that link you posted before. It is listed to fit a Volusia. It is alot cheaper than the one I got. You should get it.
Mine was fabricated from a guy name Peter Mcavoy from Canada. I'm not sure if he's still making them but damn, you can google BracketMans Custom Metalworks.
Mine was the first he ever made because he needed the Volusia forkcap for the dimension in order to fabricate. C50 or C800 don't require forkcaps because they just clamp on the upper tree. Volusias don't have a clamp on the upper, just on the lower tree. So he had to fabricate a new forkcap for the Volusias and that was extra cost to fabricate. That is why it's more expensive for the Vols than the C50s.

Last edited by sanos on Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sanos
sanos

Fork Extenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Extenders   Fork Extenders Icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 2:30 am

fat intruder wrote:
would it make a diferance to handleing at slower speeds would front wheel turn into cornners more ?

Of course you're gonna have slight difference in handling especially in the twisty roads. But not by much...but it is a more stable ride with the slightly longer wheelbase, and yes it eliminates the pegs dragging completely.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

Fork Extenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Extenders   Fork Extenders Icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 2:50 am

sanos wrote:
Mr. Intruder, I've seen that link you posted before. It is listed to fit a Volusia. It is alot cheaper than the one I got. You should get it.
That's the recommendation I was hoping for, I will order them as soon as I get back home, thanks very much sanos. Fork Extenders 3498837457
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

Fork Extenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Extenders   Fork Extenders Icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 8:55 am

Of course you're gonna have slight difference in handling especially in the twisty roads. But not by much...but it is a more stable ride with the slightly longer wheelbase, and yes it eliminates the pegs dragging completely.[/quote]
worth doing at a drop of a hat to stop pegs dragging if it's only a little bit of difference on twisty roads theres nothing stoping you useing your upper body strength to hold bars and lean away into them
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

Fork Extenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Extenders   Fork Extenders Icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 9:37 am

the way I look at it the handling can only be better because I will be able to throw the bike into the bends properly with worrying about the floor boards.
Back to top Go down
exile
exile

Fork Extenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Extenders   Fork Extenders Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 10:59 am

I remember these things from the late 70's bike customising era .... they were called "slugs" back then , and became notorious for splitting the forks and even snapping !! I didn't have any personal experience of this though as I never used them .... was always advised not to !! Maybe the materials and technology wasn't up to scratch back then ... as it was the time of customs built in sheds and garages on tight budgets , and lots of stuff was made by mates who worked in the local engineering works (remember them ??). Never really could understand this though as if the join was between the top and bottom yokes , they wouldn't be stressed . However if the slug was too long and the join was below the bottom yoke ... then SNAP it would inevitably do !!
Another hazy recollection from the dim and distant ... ride safe guys !!
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

Fork Extenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Extenders   Fork Extenders Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 11:34 am

Good point Exile. I was chatting to Doc Cox yesterday and he was saying exactly the same thing about slugs. Personally I don't remember them but have started reading up on them and will read a bit more before deciding whether to purchas them or not. I have so far only read the references to experiences and tales from rears ago with nobody making any negative or positive remarks as to the newer ones. So at present I am not sure whether the issues were through poor engineering or if it is simply due to the join being between 2 possible pivot points. The problem is finding the truth, too many people have opinions on these things around the net but mostly based on just that opinion. I want some facts before I make a decision. At the moment I am slightly biased towards fitted them in my opinion even with the opinions that I have read.
Back to top Go down
rossmofo
rossmofo

Fork Extenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Extenders   Fork Extenders Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 1:36 pm

When you fit them, you could always check them regularly with a feeler guage for fatigue or stretching around mating edges, if you go from no gap to a couple of thou near the lower half of the joint you will know they are stretching the threads.
I hope these work out because it is something I would consider cos the underneath lower edge of my front floor boards are being wrecked, especially now my front metzler is scrubbed in and I can give it max lean. Fork Extenders 3005623951
Back to top Go down
pledge
Valued Member
pledge

Fork Extenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Extenders   Fork Extenders Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 2:13 pm

I must be a sissy as I never ground my footplates, perhaps I'm not a proper roughy toughy biker.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

Fork Extenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Extenders   Fork Extenders Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 2:28 pm

No such thing Ray, some just use the capabilities more than others. I ride my bike hard and fast but don't get to do many miles, Where as many ride in a much more subtle way yet get far more enjoyment than I do because they get to spend so much more time in the saddle. As long as the person that owns the bike gets from it what they want, who gives a shit.
Back to top Go down
pledge
Valued Member
pledge

Fork Extenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Extenders   Fork Extenders Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 2:34 pm

Agreed each to their own, no justification needed.
Back to top Go down
rossmofo
rossmofo

Fork Extenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Extenders   Fork Extenders Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 3:58 pm

pledge wrote:
Agreed each to their own, no justification needed.

Agreed,very true...I only ground my boards cos they stick out so much, the original footpegs are unscathed. I am having twice the fun on this bike at half the speed of any of my previous sports bikes.
Low running costs with big smiles is what it's all about for me...and my bike ticks both boxes. Fork Extenders 256401
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

Fork Extenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Extenders   Fork Extenders Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 7:48 pm

I didn't even have to ride like a hooligan to scrape mine. As soon as I went around a roundabout or sharpish bend they were scrapping. Used to scare the shit out of me everytime

Great tip with the feeler gauge. I would go for it, if they are made specifically for the suzuki 800 & not just a make do, they should be fine
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Fork Extenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Extenders   Fork Extenders Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 7:58 pm

If you fit the fork extenders ? you could (if they come in the same size) slide a chrome exhaust tail pipe over the joint between the top and bottom yoke to take any flex out.
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

Fork Extenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Extenders   Fork Extenders Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 7:59 pm

i'm the same as you crash when i leen a bike into a corner i think getting close getting close but when it does tuch down (the peg) it still makes me jump on my new bike i'v started to put myfoot just anguld past peg so my foot (toe) scapes floor first not the slitest flinch and feels much better . for those with foot boards that scape alot be good if you could fit sum sort of strip of metal to them so it let's of sparks as they ground would look cool even more so at night maybe maybe silly though
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

Fork Extenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Extenders   Fork Extenders Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 8:05 pm

Just put some Titanium nuts on underneath, that'll spark like a good'n, anyone behind you would think it was fire work night. Fork Extenders 852880

Bloody good idea Sim, I thinking along the same lines. Fork Extenders 3498837457
Back to top Go down
rossmofo
rossmofo

Fork Extenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Extenders   Fork Extenders Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 8:17 pm

simbo wrote:
If you fit the fork extenders ? you could (if they come in the same size) slide a chrome exhaust tail pipe over the joint between the top and bottom yoke to take any flex out.

Now that would look really good and would be added safety...win win Fork Extenders 276246
Back to top Go down
Bornholm
Bornholm

Fork Extenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Extenders   Fork Extenders Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 10:22 pm

In Denmark we have a law with a mini. and a maximum angle of the front fork do not know if is also the case in England ?
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Fork Extenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Extenders   Fork Extenders Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 10:25 pm

Bornholm wrote:
In Denmark we have a law with a mini. and a maximum angle of the front fork do not know if is also the case in England ?

I've never heard of one ? I'm sure it will be discussed in parliament though Fork Extenders 852880
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

Fork Extenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Extenders   Fork Extenders Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 10:27 pm

The fork extenders only increase length, the angle will not change. The rake with 4" extensions on would only have a very small change and the trail would not be affected at all.
Back to top Go down
Bornholm
Bornholm

Fork Extenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Extenders   Fork Extenders Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 10:48 pm

It is the angel be twine the road and the fork but 100 mm. it probably nothing to talk about Fork Extenders 804997 Fork Extenders 15281
simbo: im sure you are right on that one Fork Extenders 256401
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

Fork Extenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Extenders   Fork Extenders Icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2013 7:43 pm

Been doing a lot of research into these fork extenders from internet sources and friends, also engineers and custom bike builders. Everyone bar non frowned at the very mention of these so called slugs and everyone bar none had either a story to tell of one degree or another. That's not to say that everyone will have a bad experience but enough do to put me off of them. I have therefore decided to give them a very very wide birth. I may just look for longer stanchions instead.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Fork Extenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Extenders   Fork Extenders Icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2013 8:30 pm

Mr Intruder wrote:
I have therefore decided to give them a very very wide birth. I may just look for longer stanchions instead.

Wise choice Fork Extenders 3498837457 especially with the state of UK roads.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

Fork Extenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Extenders   Fork Extenders Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 11:30 am

Shame they would have looked nice. Good to see you did some research on these before comiting to buying some Fork Extenders 184121345
Back to top Go down
OrtizA0311
Prospect
OrtizA0311

Fork Extenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Extenders   Fork Extenders Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 7:39 pm

Looking to extend my M50 Forks, going for a chopper look, anyone got any ideas that can help at all.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

Fork Extenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Extenders   Fork Extenders Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 10:47 am

It would seem from what has been said in this thread that fork extenders are a bit of a controversial topic but they are a cheap option. The only other cheap option would be to look at completely swapping out the front forks for a second hand set from another bike but to be honest I am not sure how easy that would be
Back to top Go down
OrtizA0311
Prospect
OrtizA0311

Fork Extenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Extenders   Fork Extenders Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 6:03 pm

I actually found a company that can do that. They replace the entire front end and well send you the chopper kit. Guy quoted me $3000-3500
Back to top Go down
OrtizA0311
Prospect
OrtizA0311

Fork Extenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Extenders   Fork Extenders Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 10:09 pm

So these extenders should fit on my 08 M50 without any other modifications correct? Well I have Z bars so besides possibly the cables.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fork Extenders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Extenders   Fork Extenders Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fork Extenders
Page 1 of 1