I saw the need for a USB-Charger on my bike. On long trips i wanted to be sure to have cellphone battery if i needed to contact someone.
Looked around for allready done solutions but wasnt satisfied with them. Expensive, connected straight to the battery, too big to make a nice and neet installation etc etc.... So i decided to make one myself.
Adding a few images to the post to explain the different steps i did if someone would like to do the same for their bike.
Things you need.
12V USB charger for a car. i used the smallest one i could find.
A smal can/container with a lid to make keep wather and moist out.
1. Open the charger.
2. Cut the spring and the metal piece connected to the short cable. Save a small piece of the spring to get a pint to connect the cable.
3. Connect/soulder the extentioncables. Dont remember what cable is +/- but that info can be googled.
4. Shrink the hose around the cables and reasseble the chager
5. Use a lot of electrical tape to get protection agains moist.
6. Insert the charger in your canister. I used an old photo film tube.
I wasnt satisfied with the fitment so i made a "bush" to fill the gap between the carger and the inner wall of the canister Shown below.
Remeber to fill all the holes where cables run through the canister with silicone.
I choosed to connect the charger to the licenceplate lights. That connection has a fuse and was quite near the position where i want the charger. The carger can only be used with the ignition key on.
On the VZ800 there is a space under the seat that i used to put the charger.
Have been working fine for more than one season.
Hope that this can be to help for other members.