Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Looking for a new Helmet

Go down 
+6
AmericanJambo
captain crash
fat intruder
Bluesman
simbo
Mr Intruder
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

Looking for a new Helmet  Empty
PostSubject: Looking for a new Helmet    Looking for a new Helmet  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 4:16 pm

I am looking for a new helmet and need a little help finding a normal half faced helmet. Not German military type, just normal 70/80' style open face.
I want an open face helmet, sounds easy enough one would think but it's not so easy as it sounds. I want one that is more in keeping with the helmets of yesteryear. The reason for this is that although I know helmets are there to protect your brains, I just don't want one that looks like I have half a bowling ball strapped to my head. All the helmets I have seen lately seem to have to much packing and I don't want to look any more like Bod than I already do!

Looking for a new Helmet  2Q==

So if anyone knows of a DOT legal somewhere helmet that doesn't cost the earth, that makes you look less like an alien and more like a biker please let me know. Looking for a new Helmet  433968

PS. The reason I say DOT legal somewhere is because I don't care if it's not DOT UK. I just want to know that the DOT in a first world country somewhere feels they offer a reasonable level of protection.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new Helmet    Looking for a new Helmet  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 5:31 pm

I've used these before for helmets and find them pretty reasonable, but I tend to find one I like in a shop first and then buy off the net.
http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_cat/799
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new Helmet    Looking for a new Helmet  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 5:42 pm

Do you know which if any of them are more in keeping with my requirements for a helmet that doesn't make you look like an alien?
So far over the last few weeks I have been in 5 bike shops and all the helmets I have come across have too much padding to give the style that I am after. Looking for a new Helmet  3307848339
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new Helmet    Looking for a new Helmet  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 5:48 pm

Bloody brilliant, my mate has just emailed me a link to the style I am after. They are not DOT UK but they are DOT USA. So unless something else comes up, it looks like I have found what I am after. Looking for a new Helmet  29160 LINK

As you can see, much closer fitting around the face, nice thin layer of padding next to the face.

Looking for a new Helmet  KGrHqFHJBkE-fbpSHq8BPvm7g6Ggg60_1_zpsa35012fa
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new Helmet    Looking for a new Helmet  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 5:49 pm

Here's all of them - well a lot of them. Find the one you sort of fancy and go to the website. I quite like the German soldier style.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=open%20face%20helmet&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=wC5sUcnVMMzMPf22gNgK&biw=1920&bih=897&sei=xC5sUemLNMel0QXRp4DgDQ
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new Helmet    Looking for a new Helmet  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 6:24 pm

if i had to pick one from sim's link probaly go for the arai freeway 2 black frost or the rp60 .
no wander your haveing trouble picking one there are some real shit lookin lids (open face) good luck getting what you want something will turn up
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new Helmet    Looking for a new Helmet  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 6:43 pm

Mr Intruder wrote:
Looking for a new Helmet  KGrHqFHJBkE-fbpSHq8BPvm7g6Ggg60_1_zpsa35012fa
Yeah I can see why you were previously after a helmet like the one you have now found now in this picture now, cause this has probably got half the face padding of most modern helmets. I see they are selling them as low profile helmets from the link you put up
Like it Looking for a new Helmet  184121345
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new Helmet    Looking for a new Helmet  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 7:31 pm

Mr Intruder wrote:
I just want to know that the DOT in a first world country somewhere feels they offer a reasonable level of protection.

Open face helmets no matter how well specified will only afford protection to the back of your head. Your face receives 0%! Having said this, I rode around happily with one on for 2 years. My main reason for wearing one was it looked cool. My only concern is flying insects, especially riding without a screen so some form of eye protection would be wise. Shades look cool too!
Back to top Go down
AmericanJambo
AmericanJambo

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new Helmet    Looking for a new Helmet  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 7:53 pm

These helmets are by far my favorite style.

Looking for a new Helmet  41cukSXIghL._SY300_
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new Helmet    Looking for a new Helmet  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 7:58 pm

Good choice there Dave Looking for a new Helmet  3498837457 I think putting a leak on it will make it look even narrower.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new Helmet    Looking for a new Helmet  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 11:05 pm

simbo wrote:
Good choice there Dave Looking for a new Helmet  3498837457 I think putting a leak on it will make it look even narrower.
Just had a look at the link dave put up and it actually comes with a peak and a pair of sunglasses thrown in as well Looking for a new Helmet  3498837457
Must agree with you Sim I think it was a good choice of classic helmet as well. I never realized until it was mentioned here how much helmets had got so big with the extra padding they now have. and by going for that style even though they aint legal in the uk you get the classic look but won't get pulled over for having an illegal helmet on, good compromise Looking for a new Helmet  184121345
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new Helmet    Looking for a new Helmet  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 12:26 am

I am going to buy the one I have shown above, for the money its a steal and it is just what I was looking for, the retro look. Looking for a new Helmet  3005623951
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new Helmet    Looking for a new Helmet  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 7:19 am

Just been reading the various reviews on the Daytona helmet I am getting and they seem to really rated by all, thats a good start at least.
Back to top Go down
jdk
jdk

PostSubject: need helmet   Looking for a new Helmet  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 9:19 am

Hi give this site ago i have the plain matte black one and its great
http://www.fatskeleton.co.uk/
Back to top Go down
Bunso Steel
Valued Member
Bunso Steel

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new Helmet    Looking for a new Helmet  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 9:29 am

I was gonna say fat skeleton you beat me to it Jason.
I tried some of their open face helmets on at a bike show they were comfortable and low profile style
Back to top Go down
jdk
jdk

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new Helmet    Looking for a new Helmet  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 9:36 am

I've used them for years all there stuff is great and always good service mine is the daytona
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new Helmet    Looking for a new Helmet  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 10:03 am

My Shoei open face (RJ Platinum) is great although it does have the comfy padding.

Loving your choice Dave...now get some aviator googles to go with it ;D
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new Helmet    Looking for a new Helmet  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 1:48 pm

I'm with Simbo on this - whatever you choose, try one on first. I always buy slightly tighter than I need - they always give.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new Helmet    Looking for a new Helmet  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 6:48 pm

That's a great link, never seen them before. They also sell the Daytona which is handy. Looking for a new Helmet  433968
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new Helmet    Looking for a new Helmet  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 11:10 pm

Never really took any notice of these daytona lids before but they seam to be very popular from the searches I have just been doing. and I agree they look so much better Looking for a new Helmet  184121345
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new Helmet    Looking for a new Helmet  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 7:45 pm

You might be banned from the French trip if you get a swanky new helmet - can't have you showing the rest of us up Looking for a new Helmet  852880
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new Helmet    Looking for a new Helmet  Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 5:12 pm

Bit the bullet today and ordered the Daytona custom low profile helmet that I posted a pic of above. I went to there UK supplier for a gander but found that the ebay link I posted above was a better buy with a peak and sunglasses as part of the deal.
Really looking forward to having a helmet that doesn't give you the head of an alien look that all modern UK legal lids give.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new Helmet    Looking for a new Helmet  Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 8:48 pm

Thats cool Looking for a new Helmet  184121345
Only thing is now, when you get it your going to have to model it so we can see the difference lol!
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new Helmet    Looking for a new Helmet  Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 9:07 pm

Did you go shiny or matt? Like Crash says :ttiwwp: No pics? you ain't got it! Looking for a new Helmet  852880
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new Helmet    Looking for a new Helmet  Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 9:24 pm

Went for the matt black, I will start my modelling career as soon as it arrives. Looking for a new Helmet  2343124779
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new Helmet    Looking for a new Helmet  Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 9:31 pm

could you do a catalog pose youno lookin at your watch or maybe lookin off into the distance Looking for a new Helmet  215375
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new Helmet    Looking for a new Helmet  Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 10:06 pm

Nice one Dave...now you need to start practising the "do not approach, I'm a badass biker" look in front of the mirror Looking for a new Helmet  852880

I kind of like the way Bell made this...
Looking for a new Helmet  8362847574_0643973267

And as a sci-fi fan, I think this one is fantastic....would not suit a cruiser well though. Predator!
Looking for a new Helmet  Predator-helmets-preview
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new Helmet    Looking for a new Helmet  Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 10:09 pm

MarcinG wrote:
Looking for a new Helmet  8362847574_0643973267
One of my mates has the helmet, very cool indeed. Looking for a new Helmet  3498837457
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new Helmet    Looking for a new Helmet  Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 10:12 pm

Makes you wonder why the design is not more popular...re the hard face protector..
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new Helmet    Looking for a new Helmet  Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 10:43 pm

I think it is that they are not legal in the UK and to pay that much money for a non legal UK helmet kind of hurts a bit.
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new Helmet    Looking for a new Helmet  Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 10:53 pm

Satisfaction is worth the price in most cases... :bike5:
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new Helmet    Looking for a new Helmet  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 6:51 pm

fat intruder wrote:
could you do a catalog pose youno lookin at your watch or maybe lookin off into the distance Looking for a new Helmet  215375
Ha Ha yeah, no catalouge poses meand you don't own it Looking for a new Helmet  2740622253
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a new Helmet    Looking for a new Helmet  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Looking for a new Helmet
Page 1 of 1