Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes

Go down 
+4
captain crash
Bunso Steel
simbo
AmericanJambo
8 posters
AuthorMessage
AmericanJambo
AmericanJambo

Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes Empty
PostSubject: Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes   Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 3:55 pm

So how do i remove the stickers from the downtubes? Does anyone have any tricks for this? These things are stuck on there harder than any sticker I've ever seen and they look like crap.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes   Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 4:51 pm

Use a hair dryer to heat them up and peel the top off using a finger nail or credit card edge, then use petrol or similar to get the glue off.
Back to top Go down
Bunso Steel
Valued Member
Bunso Steel

PostSubject: Re: Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes   Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 5:48 pm

Brand new single edged razor blade or Stanley blade but be careful not to scratch. Acetone is great for removing the sticky stuff.
Back to top Go down
AmericanJambo
AmericanJambo

PostSubject: Re: Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes   Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 6:41 pm

Thanks guys. Not going the razor route. Don't want to scratch the frame.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes   Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 7:28 pm

plus one with simbo, hair dryer works everytime and so easily
Back to top Go down
AmericanJambo
AmericanJambo

PostSubject: Re: Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes   Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 8:18 pm

Yeah, so I go out to remove the stickers with the hair dryer and find out that my girlfriend's hair dryer is a low heat model. Hardly even gets warm. Brilliant.
Back to top Go down
smart
Valued Member
smart

PostSubject: Re: Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes    Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 9:21 pm

result are you keeping the hairdrier in the garage now!!!
Back to top Go down
coffeescoffer
coffeescoffer

PostSubject: Re: Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes   Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 9:14 pm

Not only a hairdryer but probably Hair spray as well. As hair spray is good for grip glue (or so I read in a lot of places).
What next hair pins to hold things in place?..... Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes 3213823784
Back to top Go down
coffeescoffer
coffeescoffer

PostSubject: Re: Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes   Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes Icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2013 8:55 pm

On a serious note, I read that wd40 would work and tried it.....it will mark paintwork! So would probably make your forks look dull. It makes the paint work look worn. Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes 474255
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes   Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes Icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2013 9:02 pm

I buy WD40 by the gallon container and have primarily used it as a one stop protector and polish for paint, chrome and all leather and materials for many years. In fact I have just coated and polished the whole bike not 3 hours ago and have never had an issue, so I am am shocked to see you write that.
Back to top Go down
coffeescoffer
coffeescoffer

PostSubject: Re: Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes   Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes Icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2013 9:34 pm

I think the difference is using it to remove stickers as a large amount and rubbing vigorously is required. I used it as I read it would do the job and had, like you, used it extensively for protection purposes without a problem. I think using it to remove stickers amounts to a misuse. I also think that it does not dissolve the glue, just weaken it, so the rubbing needed is what makes the paint fade not the actual wd40. I kept going as it appeared to be doing the job, wet the damage does not show, but when it dried I saw the damage. I used a rag to rub with not a pot scratcher thing so don't think it was that.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes   Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes Icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2013 9:41 pm

All the same mate, very sorry to read your experience but thats what happens when you have a really strong right arm. Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes 852880
Back to top Go down
Bunso Steel
Valued Member
Bunso Steel

PostSubject: Re: Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes   Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 12:04 pm

It could just be the smeared bits of glue that's discolouring it maybe
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes   Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 12:25 pm

Bunso Steel wrote:
It could just be the smeared bits of glue that's discolouring it maybe

Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes 428386

I'd bet my left ball that this is exactly it.

But then again I love being symmetrical so I won't Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes 852880
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes   Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 4:27 pm

With wd40 you need to rubb it into the glue and then let it work then do it again and then again another few times before it eventually breaks down. So I think if you have any dulling that was not the WD40 it was rubbing really really hard, even a soft cloth will do that on some surfaces if worked aggressively
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes   Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 4:31 pm

Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes 428386 Agreed.
Back to top Go down
AmericanJambo
AmericanJambo

PostSubject: Re: Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes   Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 4:51 pm

Do you guys not have "Goo Gone" in the UK? It's an orange oil based glue remover. Works great for sticker glue and all sorts of other sticky crap. It literally melts it away within a minute or two and wipes clean off. Safe to use on any finish. You just have to get the sticker off first.
Heading out right now to pick up a hair dryer that actually gets hot so I can get these stickers off.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes   Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 4:56 pm

AmericanJambo wrote:
Do you guys not have "Goo Gone" in the UK?

Yeah I've used a similar product on a bath tub to get rid of some none slip stickers, petrol works fine though and I usually have some in a can in the garage.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes   Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 4:57 pm

Good shout Jambo, yes we do actually have a similar product so if anyone wants it. Look for "Sticky stuff remover" It comes in a spray can and goes sort of like a jelly when it has been sprayed. Works really well, my wife got me some and its excellent

Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes 2Q==
Back to top Go down
Bunso Steel
Valued Member
Bunso Steel

PostSubject: Re: Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes   Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 5:57 pm

Does your missus have to get you sticky stuff remover often Dave Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes 852880
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes   Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 5:59 pm

Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes 3213823784
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes   Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 6:03 pm

Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes 2917598063 ......... Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes 1024891349
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes   Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 6:13 pm

Fell off the chair laughing Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes 3213823784
Back to top Go down
AmericanJambo
AmericanJambo

PostSubject: Re: Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes   Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 6:35 pm

Bahahahahaha!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes   Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 6:38 pm

Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes 2343124779 Sticky stuff remover? wd40? vaseline? bit of a pattern occurring here Dave Wink
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes   Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 6:40 pm

I was framed Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes 3307848339
Back to top Go down
AmericanJambo
AmericanJambo

PostSubject: Re: Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes   Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 9:55 pm

Ok, went out an bought a cheap hair dryer that gets really hot. Got all the stickers off finally. 6 nice big stickers. Looks so much cleaner now without them!
Back to top Go down
coffeescoffer
coffeescoffer

PostSubject: Re: Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes   Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 9:57 pm

Nope it's not the glue remnants. I put a clear tank protector over it and it is invisible there, I then put some of that magic stick stuff (clear) on the remainder and then polish over it all and it not visible. I also had a friend with a passion for doing up old bikes look at it (before repair) and the diagnosis was confirmed.
Back to top Go down
coffeescoffer
coffeescoffer

PostSubject: Re: Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes   Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 9:58 pm

Glad you had a good outcome. Stickers are nasty looking and plain nasty. Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes 3999423852
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes   Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help - Removing stickers from the down tubes
Page 1 of 1