Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rear brake wear indicator

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

Rear brake wear indicator Empty
PostSubject: Rear brake wear indicator   Rear brake wear indicator Icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2013 10:22 pm

Gents,

Silly questions but I'd rather know than feel sorry later, especially now when I prepare for MOT.

1. Which is the wear indicator... A or B? (and I mean where arrow starts, not where it points)
2. When brake depressed, the lever does not move an awful lot (C)... movement is minimal...is that normal?
3. Should that nut (D) stick out more? I've seen somewhere that it was out more.

Overall the brake feels soft, I got about 2,5cm travel on the pedal (which I've read is bang on within the recommended 2 - 3cm range) and it sits rather low - but that might be due to me having footboards instead of pegs.
I'm able to lock the rear wheel if I stomp on it proper... not sure the MOT technician will go to these lengths(?)
Rear brake wear indicator Rearbrake

Your feedback is most welcome.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Rear brake wear indicator   Rear brake wear indicator Icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 pm

Hi mate you can download the manual from here LINK Have a look on page 32 and it's all there mate.
From you picture the full pad starts nearer to the B and goes past the A when worn
Yes that is normal to have very little movement. 
Nut D looks fine, if you look at the manual you will see the one displayed is actually just past the marker as well. The marker position to the left is where you don't want to get too
To check that your rear brake is adjusted properly put your bike on your cruiser lift and tighten the nut on the end of the threaded bar until the rear wheel just starts to grab, then back the nut of a couple of turns and your set
If you are unhappy with the position of the pedal adjust it adjust it using the bolt at the pivot point but remember that this can affect the rear brake so check that after you have got the right position. also on page 32
Yes the MOT tester will press that foot pedal down as far as he needs too

Hope that helps a little mate
Back to top Go down
Two-Bears
* VZ Guru *
Two-Bears

PostSubject: Re: Rear brake wear indicator   Rear brake wear indicator Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2013 12:49 am

Hello Marcin,
I think you will find that the ware marker is line `B` It appears to be well inside the ware limit,,,, Nut `D` is splined rear brake cam and the chromed brake actuating arm is clamped to it with a return spring behind.
I agree with captain crash, the MOT tester will press as hard as he needs to when on the brake rollers to get the best reading he can.
Changing the standard pegs will most likely mess up the given method of free play check and adjusting as it is based on the given known fixed position of the original peg,,,, that said you can adjust it so it`s comfortable for you to use.
Drum brakes i find have a habit of glazing over especially if used too vigorously when new or newly replaced and can make them appear dead or dull when used,,,, when ever you find yourself removing the rear wheel, check the brake shoes, you will probably see that the friction surface of the drum is shiny,,, a fine emery paper rubbed ( i use circular motion ) on the face to dull it and also the surface of the brakes shoes to de-glaze will help it bed them in again, and again as captain crash said adjust so that the brakes don't grab,, press the brake lever several times whilst adjusting to centralize your shoes in the drum, sometimes when you are adjusting brakes you can keep backing off the adjustment because you fell the brake dragging or `tipping` when all it is is the shoes are not central in the drum,,,, it is not such a big problem with this mechanical/ cam actuation type of brake but is good practice.
Hope i have been of some help.
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Rear brake wear indicator   Rear brake wear indicator Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2013 7:06 am

So it is the groove on the nut that indicates wear! Glad I asked.
Many thanks.
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

PostSubject: Re: Rear brake wear indicator   Rear brake wear indicator Icon_minitimeSun Jun 23, 2013 9:58 am

Rear brake wear indicator 2164642469
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear brake wear indicator   Rear brake wear indicator Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear brake wear indicator
Page 1 of 1