Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Turn signal help

Go down 
+2
captain crash
ltdan48
6 posters
AuthorMessage
AmericanJambo
AmericanJambo

Turn signal help Empty
PostSubject: Turn signal help   Turn signal help Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 4:10 pm

Ok, so i have LEDs from my front and rear turn signals. I had resistors on them but decided to replace the flasher relay so that I wouldn't have to use resistors. I bought a new flasher relay and installed it and here is my problem. It's not actually with the new flasher relay itself because the problem exists regardless of whether or not i use the new or stock relay. When I don't have any resistors on the front turn signals it operates just fine. Slow flash with the new relay and fast flash with the stock. But the rears are having a weird problem. If I don't have any resistors on the back then regardless of the direction when I switch on the indicators all 4 of the indicators flash at the same time, front and back. It makes no sense. It doesn't matter which relay I use this happens. I have to use heavy resistors too. I tried using lighter load resistors and the same thing happened. The reason I don't want to use resistors on the back is that the heavy load resistors causes the signals to be only half as bright. Does anyone have any idea what is going on with this? It doesn't make sense to me at all.
Back to top Go down
ltdan48
ltdan48

Turn signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn signal help   Turn signal help Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 8:17 pm

Crap, I had the same thing happen on mine. It has something to do with the fact that we only have a single turn signal indicator. I can't remember exactly what the issue was but whatever I did ended up bypassing the indicator so now it never flashes and I just have to hope and remember to cancel my turn signals. Hopefully someone here can help fix it the right way now that the root of the problem is known.
Back to top Go down
AmericanJambo
AmericanJambo

Turn signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn signal help   Turn signal help Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 10:20 pm

Sorry brother, I don't understand. Would you clarify? When I say "indicators" I mean the turn signals themselves, not the light next to the speedo that tells us the turn signals are on.
Back to top Go down
ltdan48
ltdan48

Turn signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn signal help   Turn signal help Icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 6:52 am

So the way I understand it is that the lights work as a four-way flasher. I had the same issue and it was due to the fact that the indicator light by the speedo is a single light, not two separate lights the tell you left or right signals are on. Something with the system set up like that makes it turn into four-ways with the LEDs. It was explained to me years ago when I did it, but I've taken too many blows to the head since then to remember why and how to fix it.
Back to top Go down
AmericanJambo
AmericanJambo

Turn signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn signal help   Turn signal help Icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 3:27 pm

Hhhhmmm... I get what you're saying but if that were the case then why would the issue only happen when there was no resistance on the rear lights but work fine with no resistance on the front lights?
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

Turn signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn signal help   Turn signal help Icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 6:19 pm

No idea myself but just sent Mr Intruder a text so that he can get Doc Cox to pop in and have a look at this thread
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

Turn signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn signal help   Turn signal help Icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2013 7:15 pm

Good evening, have just read your problem write up, bit of a wierd one, if your front turn signals( Indicators) are working ok with the new relay and then messing you around on the back and making all four flash this sounds like a wiring problem, if I remember rightly Dave had the same problem when he fitted some new turn signals, his was an earth fault but I think you may have rewired the turn signals incorrectly when you removed the resistors to put the wiring back to standard for the LED compatible relay, I will get hold of an Intruder wiring diagram to check out the wiring, hopefully this may help, regards Doc Cox
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

Turn signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn signal help   Turn signal help Icon_minitimeMon Jul 15, 2013 7:42 pm

Hi, have just been looking at the wiring diagram, it looks like all of your rear lights go to one plug, and all the bulbs share a common earth that looks like black and white, if you have put the resistors in after the plug it should be no problem to check from the plug backwards that all the colours are connected correctly.
Back to top Go down
AmericanJambo
AmericanJambo

Turn signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn signal help   Turn signal help Icon_minitimeMon Jul 15, 2013 9:39 pm

Interesting. The rear turn signals have two black wires on each side. Neither is striped. I had to use a voltmeter to determine which was ground when installing the lights. I replaced one side at a time as well. The resistors are wired in parallel right before the LED turn signals. i'm not sure what you mean by "plug".
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Turn signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn signal help   Turn signal help Icon_minitimeMon Jul 15, 2013 9:50 pm

Plug = connector block, where wires connect together via a plug in connector block.
Back to top Go down
AmericanJambo
AmericanJambo

Turn signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn signal help   Turn signal help Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 4:04 pm

Gotcha. My issue though is that I don't want to use resistors because they dim the lights considerably.
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

Turn signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn signal help   Turn signal help Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 7:39 pm

Hi, yes there is a difference in our terminology for different bits of equipment, I wonder how many people over here know what a wristpin is, did you find any wiring errors ? if all is back to normal now and you have taken the resistors out the modified relay should work, if not could you send me a photo of how you have wired the resistors in the circuit as that may help me
Back to top Go down
twenty2
twenty2

Turn signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn signal help   Turn signal help Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 10:44 pm

I had the exact same problem when i installed my new front indicators.
Have been rewireing all the electricity to the rear. And it has been working out fine with the lightbulbs as front indicators. When changin to LED's in the front as well it all was 4way blinkers. Tried some different resistors but no luck. Tried a resistor that was used for LED lights before i changed the realay. And then it all works.  Those reseistors are quite big so i checked the ohm's of them and they are 8,2ohm. Used a 8ohm ordinary small resistor - Didnt work. Took a 10ohm resistor - didnt work. Used the old on at 8,2 - Works.  Hid the resistors in the front light housing... But it annoys me that i cant understand why this occurs or why it works with one resistance and not the other.
Back to top Go down
AmericanJambo
AmericanJambo

Turn signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn signal help   Turn signal help Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 5:17 pm

Did using the resistors dim your lights?
Back to top Go down
twenty2
twenty2

Turn signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn signal help   Turn signal help Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 9:49 pm

I dont think they dim my lights no..
Back to top Go down
AmericanJambo
AmericanJambo

Turn signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn signal help   Turn signal help Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 12:19 am

That's my only issue with using the resistors. They cause the rear LEDs to be half as bright. Which is strange since they're wired in parallel and not series.
Back to top Go down
twenty2
twenty2

Turn signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn signal help   Turn signal help Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 10:09 am

Thats really odd.
Your using the relay for leds tha was posted in another thread?
How do they behave when you use the old relay ?
Back to top Go down
AmericanJambo
AmericanJambo

Turn signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn signal help   Turn signal help Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 10:25 pm

The behave exactly the same using either relay. The only difference is that with the new relay the front turn signals don't blink fast when there's no resistor. But the problem with the rear is exactly the same regardless of which relay is used.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Turn signal help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn signal help   Turn signal help Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Turn signal help
Page 1 of 1