Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your rear suspension setting

Go down 
+7
simbo
NotesNut
alfie92
a4ebh
bigmal
Lowey
MarcinG
11 posters
AuthorMessage
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

Your rear suspension setting Empty
PostSubject: Your rear suspension setting   Your rear suspension setting Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 8:47 am

Morning,

I had the bike recently on the lift and since I get no chance recently to take my wife for rides I decided to lower the setting from 6 to 3. Now I'm thinking about bumping it up after yesterday's ride.

What's your setting and what do you think is the bearable lowest? I can't imagine anyone using setting 1.
Of course it greatly depends on rider's weight so we won't get a "one answer fits all" but it would be good to hear the reasoning behind preferences.
Back to top Go down
Lowey
Valued Member
Lowey

PostSubject: Re: Your rear suspension setting   Your rear suspension setting Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 9:12 am

As you say not one answer fits all, it is a case of what suits the individual rider, try all the settings then you will find the one that suits you best.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Your rear suspension setting   Your rear suspension setting Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 1:27 pm

So silly question, but what's the score here?.......... do you set it to a higher number if you're carrying more weight? (I ask because I'm a fat b'stard to begin with, so with the missus plus her "MINIMAL" packing, on our recent 2 up trip, the poor old bike was well weighed down!!)
Back to top Go down
a4ebh
a4ebh

PostSubject: Re: Your rear suspension setting   Your rear suspension setting Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 1:44 pm

I had my M set to 6 for fully loaded 50 litre + saddle bags and a 47 litre ventura Mistral I back pack with a pillion for touring and back to the standard 3 for 1 and 2 up day trips. I'm 83kg and the missus was about 70kg (Shes lost a bit). I find that to be perfect.

I'm sure we were well over loaded while touring for 10 days but the bike handled it no troubles at all.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Your rear suspension setting   Your rear suspension setting Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 1:46 pm

Thanks mate... thats helpful.
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Your rear suspension setting   Your rear suspension setting Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 3:31 pm

I have mine set at 6,I find this sound for me I am 92kgs 14.5 stone approx.
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Your rear suspension setting   Your rear suspension setting Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 4:23 pm

I think I got used to firm 6 and now on 3 it feels very soft... i'll give it a go few more times perhaps.
Back to top Go down
a4ebh
a4ebh

PostSubject: Re: Your rear suspension setting   Your rear suspension setting Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 11:59 am

Very easy to get used to a harder setup, especially if you like hard cornering. I've gone over some large potholes and speed bumps 2up and still haven't managed to bottom out on both settings.

(Not that I can recall anyway and the missus hates those moments).Your rear suspension setting 512357
Back to top Go down
NotesNut
NotesNut

PostSubject: Re: Your rear suspension setting   Your rear suspension setting Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 5:04 pm

On a similar subject....

I bought a suspension spanner on eBay so I could set it to 4 when I go 2 up, but cant get the bugger to shift as the gap is not big enough. I have read that it's easier after taking the battery box out (which seems overkill to me).

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Cheers

G
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Your rear suspension setting   Your rear suspension setting Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 5:20 pm

I've not tried it but, Someone mentioned adjusting the suspension from inside the right hand side panel, instead of the left and removing the battery box?
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Your rear suspension setting   Your rear suspension setting Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 8:33 pm

I always adjust mine from left by taking the tool box out.
Bear in mind though that every second tooth or so is difficult to turn over but if you fit the key at an angle from underneath you'll still manage to pull it if you're careful.
Back to top Go down
a4ebh
a4ebh

PostSubject: Re: Your rear suspension setting   Your rear suspension setting Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 2:26 am

I ordered and brought a genuine Suzuki one through the local Suzuki dealer. Some settings are difficult to manage but takes a bit of careful brute force. The handle is quite short which I think helps and soft leather gloves help to keep the skin on your knuckles. An extension handle also helps when you can get it in there. All was done via removing the left cover and tool box.

Initially I borrowed the dealers own spanner and had to use it at the shop one saturday morning. He had no idea where the shock was (lol. he ownes a 109 and I had arrived with the cover and tool box removed!). When I showd him where to find it, he had a go after putting it up on a hoist, after many attempts I just said give me a go and I managed it in 1 go. The hoist certainly helped and the home made wooden 6"x2" centre stand which keeps the bike upright at home is really useful as well.
Back to top Go down
NotesNut
NotesNut

PostSubject: Re: Your rear suspension setting   Your rear suspension setting Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 8:54 am

I think I need a centre stand (or paddock) and an official tool!

Cheers guys

G
Back to top Go down
AmericanJambo
AmericanJambo

PostSubject: Re: Your rear suspension setting   Your rear suspension setting Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 4:05 pm

I have custom lowering shocks on my rear. Lowered the suspension by about 1.5". I have them set on the lowest setting and it rides great, even with a passenger and fully loaded saddle bags.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Your rear suspension setting   Your rear suspension setting Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 5:55 pm

SUSPENSION ADJUSTMENT PICTURES:

Thought I'd try this for the first time & post some pics in case others want to give it a go...

We're working on the left hand side of the bike...

Step 1) Remove the left hand body coloured cover panel using your ignition key:

Your rear suspension setting 20130831_160611

Step 2) Remove the lightweight 'boomerang shaped' gloss black cover panel... (it's just on rubber 'stoppers' and pulls off). You need to do that to expose one the 2 tool box bolts.

Your rear suspension setting 20130831_154411

Step 3) Remove toolbox by removing the 2 bolts holding it in place

Your rear suspension setting 20130831_154127

Step 4) Here you can see the bright silver suspension adjustment collar, sitting on top of the black spring.

Your rear suspension setting 20130831_153457

Step 5) Here's the spanner: 

Your rear suspension setting 20130831_153630

Step 6) Carefully wriggle the spanner into position and simply move the collar along to the next notch - either higher or lower depending what you're trying to achieve.  I found a bit of steel tube to slip over the spanner handle to give me a bit more leverage.

I'm a big guy & found that moving it 2 notches higher from the factory setting made a bid difference. Also cranked the tyres up to 38/32, and the whole thing felt tighter & more precise.

On a recent long trip, 2 up + luggage, it had felt a  bit wallowy... So really glad I did this little job... all in it only took half an hour.

ps.... used the famous scaff plank bike lift... dont know if it would be much harder with the weight of the bike resting on the back wheel?
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Your rear suspension setting   Your rear suspension setting Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 7:18 pm

I have the spanner as you and use an oval shaped bar as an extension bar to get it to move easily, which it does do from only being on the side stand. I have it set on maximum due to my need to go into roundabouts which seem to have an unequal camber at speed, Its the only way to get the control I need when going though the bends and to stop the scraping floor boards I used to get on lower settings.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Your rear suspension setting   Your rear suspension setting Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 7:41 pm

Excellent write up and picture's Mal! Your rear suspension setting 996187811  There's been quite a few questions on here lately about adjusting the suspension, and this gives a very detailed answer Your rear suspension setting 2170595768
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Your rear suspension setting   Your rear suspension setting Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 8:22 pm

Cheers mate Wink
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Your rear suspension setting   Your rear suspension setting Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 3:00 pm

Sound that Mal,gives a good explanation to others.
Back to top Go down
andymuza
Prospect

PostSubject: Re: Your rear suspension setting   Your rear suspension setting Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2022 7:25 pm

I only got my M800 October 21. Haven't had much chance to ride since I bought it, only covered 35 miles on it.

The weekend just gone, my self and the Mrs went on a short 50 odd mile trip. When we got back she complained about how uncomfortable the seat was, saying she felt every bump and that the seat on my Fireblade was more comfortable.

I thought, that shouldn't be the case so, a quick look on here revealed the suspension adjustment that may well help or, do I leave it firm so she doesn't want to get on the back? LOL
Back to top Go down
Badger
Valued Member
Badger

PostSubject: Re: Your rear suspension setting   Your rear suspension setting Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2022 9:40 pm

'leave it firm so she doesn't want to get on the back? LOL'
You is a bad man. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your rear suspension setting   Your rear suspension setting Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your rear suspension setting
Page 1 of 1