Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Front brake inspection - issue found.

Go down 
+2
simbo
MarcinG
6 posters
AuthorMessage
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

Front brake inspection - issue found. Empty
PostSubject: Front brake inspection - issue found.   Front brake inspection - issue found. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2013 4:16 pm

I was cleaning the bike thoroughly before tomorrow's show and I noticed that I have some damage to the brake

That looks anything but healthy.
Pad replacement?
Front brake inspection - issue found. _brake
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Front brake inspection - issue found.   Front brake inspection - issue found. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2013 4:44 pm

They'll be fine, it's only a little bit of the edge that's broke off, probably hit by a stone or something?
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Front brake inspection - issue found.   Front brake inspection - issue found. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2013 6:54 pm

Cool....it crossed my mind it was a stone or something.
I need to take the whole assembly apart anyway soon as the pads don't retract enough and they rub a tiny bit.
Or they just need a clean, something might have gotten stuck on the pad.
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Front brake inspection - issue found.   Front brake inspection - issue found. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 7:07 pm

Reporting back.

Photo below shows the brake prior to cleaning. It wasn't the cleanest but I sorted that.
I removed all the crap from around the cylinders, pushed them all the way in to see if it's possible at all (they did go in fully) so happily I assembled everything back, screwed in, pumped the brake....tested, no change...still rubs... I gave it a few good spins while up on lift and the rubbing seems to be intermittent.

Can it be that the disc is warped? :/

The ride overall is still....hmm...gritty, for the lack of better word. When I accelerate it's no smooth...it feels weird.
I'm running out of ideas.

Front brake inspection - issue found. Brake_dirt
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Front brake inspection - issue found.   Front brake inspection - issue found. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 7:18 pm

Regular intermittent or just intermittent?
Are the pads dirty?
Pull the pads apart and clean inside them with a long loose rag. Dirty pads can cause all sorts of silly issues.
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Front brake inspection - issue found.   Front brake inspection - issue found. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 7:37 pm

Cleaned the pads too matey.

Intermittent regular
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Front brake inspection - issue found.   Front brake inspection - issue found. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 7:50 pm

Is there resistance when you spin the wheel, like the brake is binding? or is it just the sound of the pads slightly touching the disc.
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Front brake inspection - issue found.   Front brake inspection - issue found. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 7:51 pm

Hmm rather minimal...when I spin the wheel it spins, ru s and only when its really slow, it "jams" due to resistance. Not much.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Front brake inspection - issue found.   Front brake inspection - issue found. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 8:02 pm

Doesn't sound overly bad, I can't say without having it in front of me. I would probably be inclined to give everything a proper clean up and service. Sorry this is not an ideal thing to give advice on, We really need to feel everything to give proper advice. Sorry.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Front brake inspection - issue found.   Front brake inspection - issue found. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 8:22 pm

Front brake inspection - issue found. 428386 What Dave says, If it spins feely the pistons aren't sticking, the disc will never be completely flat, you'd know if the disc was warped? your bike would judder under breaking.
spin your wheel with the bike on a jack, grab the brake then repeat a few times. if there's no resistance when the brake isn't applied? it's just the sound of your pads touching the disc slightly, which is normal.
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Front brake inspection - issue found.   Front brake inspection - issue found. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 8:34 pm

Fair shout Dave...it would make sense for you to see/hear/feel before making a judgement.

Sim,
That's off the list then...no judder when breaking.
I don't really mind them touching slightly.... it's just the rubbing sound I hate.
Disc is gently warm after few miles...I checked few times. But I guess that's to be expected.

Not sure then about the "gritty" ride... is it possible that the guy changing the tyres overtightened the wheel and that affected the bearing? Can it affect it?
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Front brake inspection - issue found.   Front brake inspection - issue found. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 8:37 pm

hmm gritty ride? That is unlikely to be the front spindle done up to tight as you can spin it by hand, More likely to be a contaminated front pad.
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Front brake inspection - issue found.   Front brake inspection - issue found. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 8:43 pm

I'll give them a solid rub down then, just to rule it out.

I'm still not ruling out the wheel balancing and I'm starting to feel tempted to get it checked.
What I'll do beforehand though is take the brake off so there is nothing in the way and give the wheel a dozen spins or so and check if it stops in the same place...if it does...then it'll be proof enough (I hope) that the wheel needs balancing.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Front brake inspection - issue found.   Front brake inspection - issue found. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 9:16 pm

Does sound like it is fixable for the right hands, as already said hard for people to give precise advice without getting their hands on it and front brakes especially are are life or death so not worth taking chances on that you are not overly happy with
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: Front brake inspection - issue found.   Front brake inspection - issue found. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 9:57 pm

not much help but it sounds all right to me mate worst ways not much to fuss about but it wont hurt it if you get it of and clean it all up (calliper) there's a video somewhere on the site that shows changing pads and cleaning callipers if I remember right bloke runs you through it step by step Front brake inspection - issue found. 3005623951
Back to top Go down
Lowey
Valued Member
Lowey

PostSubject: Re: Front brake inspection - issue found.   Front brake inspection - issue found. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 9:01 am

This may be way off track, Is it possible it could be a wheel bearing issue? Try spinning the wheel with the brake pads removed to see if it spins smoothly and free.
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Front brake inspection - issue found.   Front brake inspection - issue found. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 11, 2013 8:34 am

Gents,

An odd one for me.... the nuts that hold the brake in place...what size are they?
I managed to undo them with 5,5 allen key but it was rather loose. 6 on the other hand does not fit in.
Is there anything in between 5,5 and 6 sizes? I got imperial set as well and they're either too small or big.

I don't want to use 5,5 anymore because I'll knacker the bolts for sure.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Front brake inspection - issue found.   Front brake inspection - issue found. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 11, 2013 11:06 am

Allen key? Mine are bolts that hold the caliper on, either 13 or 14 mm from memory, nothing between 5.5 and 6 in Allen keys.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Front brake inspection - issue found.   Front brake inspection - issue found. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 11, 2013 11:34 am

Maybe a previous owner did a change of bolt there?
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Front brake inspection - issue found.   Front brake inspection - issue found. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 11, 2013 1:25 pm

Darn it...always say nut when I mean bolt.

I got bolts like these (I hope the image will show)
Front brake inspection - issue found. CaliperBolts_LRG

And I got the sizes wrong...it was between 5 and 5,5 (not 5,5 and 6)
I reckon they're size 5 but knackered, hence loose :(
(and they're most likely different because I have the chrome cover on.)
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Front brake inspection - issue found.   Front brake inspection - issue found. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 11, 2013 1:41 pm

Sorry I could be wrong but have just checked the service manual which is available here for download and it would seem to me that they have been changed to these bolts by the previous owner on the 2002 bike that is owned by Marcin's as confirmed by Simbo's post from normal bolts (could be wrong) and the torque they are put in at is 28 Ib-ft. could someone please check their bike please for Marcin
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: Front brake inspection - issue found.   Front brake inspection - issue found. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 11, 2013 2:19 pm

which would make sense as mine is K2.

Torque...hmm...I torqued them alright...until I couldn't no more Front brake inspection - issue found. 852880
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front brake inspection - issue found.   Front brake inspection - issue found. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front brake inspection - issue found.
Page 1 of 1