Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it. Empty
PostSubject: New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it.   New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 30, 2013 4:08 pm

I do not have a full install thread to put in here at present but will add a full write up with pictures to this thread as I move along with it.

Be very careful when buying any add on for your bike and take a lot into consideration, the reasons for this will become apparent on reading this.
..........................................................................................

I bought some new bars from Maverick Customs they are similar to these pictured.

New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it. 22.2handlebarscustomblackpowdercoatedtwist

They are beautifully made and and will be an asset to the bike.
However due to the powder coating they are slightly oversized with regards to the circumference of the bars which has caused me several issues. I will be able to get over this but am annoyed that I have had too.

Firstly I was unable to put the clutch on the bike due this and had to have the mount for this cut into two and have a second bolt hole installed with a thread, so as to be able to install the item. I don't know about all models and all years but on my 2010 C800 the clutch mount is installed via a complete circle mount with only one point to enable it to clamp into position.

New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it. 2823b401-fa8e-46f9-ba59-e96680d58e7f_zps309e792c

I am also having an issue with the throttle because of the powder coating as it is sticking very very badly due to the extra with of the bars an I believe there will be no other option than to grind down the powder coating at present but we will have to see.
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it.   New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 30, 2013 4:12 pm

Have you considered getting back in touch with them and telling them that bars are not to desired dimensions?
It's well within your skills to work around this but you shouldn't have to.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it.   New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 30, 2013 5:13 pm

I knew I was buying a 1" bar which had been powder coated, not a 7/8" bar that was powder coated and on another bike there may not of been an issue but with my model & year there was. To be honest I knew there could be a slight problem but gave it no thought but to be fair there should of been a prominent disclaimer expressing this possible issue. I would feel sorry for anyone that bought these powder coated bars and didn't have the ability to get over it if needed.
As a way of helping prevent others from making the same mistake, when I have completed the install I will add their site address & company name to a not initially allowed word list, so that if any member tries to type in their address or company name, a pop up will instantly come up warning them of a possible issues with powder coated bars on certain models.
To be fair fair to them though the quality is second to none and if I was buying a non powder coated handle bar or any other item I would certainly buy from them. I am not writing this to attack them as these issues will probably be the same on my model & year from whoever a 1" powder coated bar is bought from. This is just my install thread being unusually started before it is completed to help any possible buyer of powder coated bars.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it.   New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 30, 2013 6:18 pm

They'll look pretty cool when installed New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it. 3498837457 will they fit in the riser clamps, or will you strip a bit off there as well? Nothing beyond your capabilities I'm sure, Just a pain in the arse, when they should fit from the shop.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it.   New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 30, 2013 6:30 pm

Thats a shitter cause I would never of thought about extra width & would not personally be able to get over it. I would personally be fucked if I had bars like that delivered and would end up bodging them up or asking for help. not sure what I would do, maybe a good coating of paint stripper and respray them. Shouldn't have to even be thinking about it really, when you buy something that is described as a 1" bar it should flippin well be a 1" bar.
They way the clutch mount has been split in to 2 and made usable is a very cool idea or you would of had to strip the powder coating back to bass metal I would of thought. How are you going to address the problem with the throttle sticking?
I agree with Simbo tho, they will look very cool indeed and they are a design that you would never normally see New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it. 184121345
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it.   New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 30, 2013 6:34 pm

Throttle sticking will be an absolute pain in the ass.
I remember when my custom grips were rubbing just by a fraction of mm and it was screwing the whole thing...the grip was not returning to closed position.

I'm actually awaiting reply from Maverics about a handlebar for me (if they'll ever reply) and I will address the concerns and we'll see what they'll say about the thickness.
For me, like for most people, it will be a matter "they're either bang on 25mm or I'm sending them back"
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it.   New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 30, 2013 8:19 pm

I haven't even looked at the throttle side at all so far but I believe I will need to mark the bars and then grind the powder coating off to that point to ensure proper movement. However I may find another way yet and I will know that when I look at it properly.
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it.   New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 30, 2013 8:26 pm

Just a thought Dave.... when you do, have a look if it won't be easier to modify the throttle instead of the bar.

We often catch ourselves looking in one direction while there might be an easier path if we look the other way :)
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it.   New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 30, 2013 9:18 pm

I do that all the flippin time then when I have reached a point of no return I get the idea that I should have done in the first place New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it. 122716118
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it.   New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 30, 2013 9:29 pm

I would have thought it would be easier to remove the Powder Coating on the throttle side than mess with the throttle grip/tube, Measure the length of the throttle and housing then run a pipe cutter round to cut the PC straight, then paint stripper or similar to remove it, masking tape it first and cut through it with the pipe cutter but leave the not to be removed side on.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it.   New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 30, 2013 10:01 pm

With forethought that's what I am thinking but will not tackle it until I am 100% sure of the best way forward. I would be very surprised if I find another way to do it but as already said "I may find another way yet and I will know that when I look at it properly".
One thing I have in abundance at present is time to think but unfortunately little inclination to actually do the stuff. However I am now slowly getting fit enough to finally do stuff so the mods will all start to flow soon because we are in what I have always called modding season and I no longer seem to have a chaperone with me every single time I turn around.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it.   New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 30, 2013 10:04 pm

Glad to read that davey, your bike will probably improve as quickly as your health  New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it. 184121345
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it.   New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 30, 2013 10:14 pm

Captain Crash wrote:
your bike will probably improve as quickly as your health  New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it. 184121345
Oh bollox that's going to be a slower bike fix up than I at first thought then. New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it. 852880
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it.   New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2013 1:50 pm

The only way of making the throttle usable due to the throttles internal tube was to remove the powder coating. That's done now and only took a few minutes with my Dremel fitted with a sanding wheel.
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it.   New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2013 6:05 pm

Well done Dave,you have made a very good point in putting the problem on here as it gives the rest of us the chance to try and get the supplier to fix the problem before he sends the bars out.An easy fix for him just leave space for the grips as they are all standard, clean and not powder coated.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it.   New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2013 7:33 pm

What did you do then? Was the powder coat just removed to the length of the actual throttle twist or did it need to go any further along?
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it.   New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2013 7:49 pm

Just the length of the twist grip of the throttle that you can see plus a few MM but you could go over an inch further than needed and still the bars would be visibly covered by the powder coating.
Bit of a pain in the arse to have to modify or strip off some of the powder coating to make everything fit & work properly but I wouldn't change them even so.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it.   New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2013 8:14 pm

Mr Intruder wrote:
Bit of a pain in the arse to have to modify or strip off some of the powder coating to make everything fit & work properly but I wouldn't change them even so.
New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it. 428386 It makes them feel more your own too, when you have to put a bit of work in to make things fit New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it. 65147
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it.   New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2013 9:09 pm

I spose it was relatively to get over for you but would of been a much bigger job if you had not of had the clutch lever mount split from a complete circle clamp to a two halves of a circle clamp the other week
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it.   New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2013 9:46 pm

Crash if the clutch mount had not been split I would of needed to follow what Sim had suggested a little higher. I would of split and marked the powder coating with my pipe splitter and the used a dremel with a sanding wheel on it to allow the the clutch mount to reach the desired position. Not a biggie really & I could have done that in only minutes so easy peasy really. 
These things are sent to test us but not buy much.
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it.   New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 04, 2013 9:12 am

Almost one week on and I still haven't heard back from Maverick Customs...
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it.   New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 04, 2013 4:43 pm

Thats bloody shit, what are you after matey is it some of there plain bars or some of there fancy metal work? Might be worth emailing them again
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

PostSubject: Re: New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it.   New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it. Icon_minitimeMon Dec 09, 2013 12:11 am

Sorry Crash, missed you replying to this.

Still haven't heard back. Will try emailing again.
They can't be THAT busy.

I'm after a bespoke design that I came up with. It's a slightly modified ape z-bar with metal inserts and indicator mounting points directly in it.

If they won't reply, it'll remain just a sketch though.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it.   New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it. Icon_minitimeMon Dec 09, 2013 2:39 pm

You gunna put a photo on of the finished items now they are on there davey  :what1:
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it.   New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it. Icon_minitimeMon Dec 09, 2013 2:58 pm

I still have the cables and wires to sort out from my recent change from ape hangers, when I decide what I want to do I will post a pic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it.   New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New bars being fitted, shit resuls up to now but I will get over it.
Page 1 of 1