Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Front brakes

Go down 
+5
simbo
MarcinG
peardrop3
Steen G
TwinDad
9 posters
AuthorMessage
TwinDad
TwinDad

Front brakes Empty
PostSubject: Front brakes   Front brakes Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2014 8:49 am

Hi all anyone thought about changing front calliper? Putting twin discs on?
Many thanks Front brakes Imagegif
Sorry if this has been done to death!
Back to top Go down
Steen G
Steen G

Front brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brakes   Front brakes Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2014 10:38 am

Yes, I've started collecting parts to do it. Only needs a few bolts and some custom made brake lines.
I'm a Tool-maker so I don't think the machining will cause any trouble  8)
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

Front brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brakes   Front brakes Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2014 4:35 pm

er I think you'll find it hard to do on a VL as the hub won't take another disc. You may have to look out for a 1500 etc front end complete with wheel, disc's, forks etc... Could be expensive!
Back to top Go down
Steen G
Steen G

Front brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brakes   Front brakes Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2014 6:41 pm

Didn't notice it was for a VL800. I've got a VZ 800 Marauder that makes it a lot easier.
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

Front brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brakes   Front brakes Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2014 8:11 pm

can i ask how Steen? i ask as i have just bought a vz front wheel for my c800/vl800.
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

Front brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brakes   Front brakes Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2014 9:43 pm

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious but why the heck would you need a second disc on the front?  Front brakes 1337224149
Back to top Go down
TwinDad
TwinDad

Front brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brakes   Front brakes Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2014 10:17 pm

Just seen the light and moved over from sports bikes not trying to do stoppies but as vl only has drum  and twin pot front single disc was just a thought
Thanks
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

Front brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brakes   Front brakes Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2014 10:31 pm

Fair play Sir :]
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Front brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brakes   Front brakes Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2014 10:43 pm

MarcinG wrote:
Sorry if I'm missing something obvious but why the heck would you need a second disc on the front?  Front brakes 1337224149

To stop the bloody thing! lol The brakes on the Intruder aren't know for their stopping power at all  Front brakes 249703  fitting double discs is something that's way beyond my capabilities but I'd certainly have a go if it was a proven mod, All things come from idea's  Front brakes 3993731222
Back to top Go down
TwinDad
TwinDad

Front brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brakes   Front brakes Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2014 10:57 pm

Thought you may have to give the VL800 a written invite to stop. Nothing wrong with that just have to adjust my riding style, or look at a three pot brembo on the front
Back to top Go down
MarcinG
Valued VIP Member
MarcinG

Front brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brakes   Front brakes Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2014 11:10 pm

Thinking about it I don't think I ever had to emergency brake so far.

I ride calmly, brake with engine and always leave ton of space up front.
Need to try to proper stop and see what the brake is like if you're saying it's so bad.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

Front brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brakes   Front brakes Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2014 11:56 pm

Squeeze the front brake to hard and it will lock up, how much more braking does someone need  :what1:
Back to top Go down
Steen G
Steen G

Front brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brakes   Front brakes Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2014 6:59 am

You need to drill holes in the front wheel and the left fork leg. Discs comes from a VZ 800/GSXR400(GK76)/RGV250 and the left caliper from a SV 650.

Why I'm doing it?
Because it's my bike and I like the looks of the dual discs and it makes it more symmetrical.
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

Front brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brakes   Front brakes Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2014 2:52 pm

Good answer Steen,straight to the point. Front brakes 2645662097  Front brakes 2215087486
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

Front brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brakes   Front brakes Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2014 4:01 pm

Makes sense to me  Front brakes 184121345
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

Front brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brakes   Front brakes Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2014 5:17 pm

I'll wait till you put some pictures up of the conversion Steen before I make anymore comments.
Back to top Go down
TwinDad
TwinDad

Front brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brakes   Front brakes Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2014 5:29 pm

Steen, good to know someone feels the same way! Front brakes 1218875559 
Would like to hear how things go.
Good luck
Back to top Go down
raffaele.negrin
raffaele.negrin

Front brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brakes   Front brakes Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2014 10:17 am

Hey there, I was thinking of doubling the discs on my M800 (2012) too, I'd like some expert comments on what I thought:

front fork on my bike has 41mm inverted fork, so my first idea was to only change the left tube with one that allows the fitting of a disc, caliper, etc.
I assume this would mean changing the wheel as well, along with brake line (to double it etc). So that requires finding the damned tube, but I can't - not on the 'net, at least -_-'

Second idea: find an old bike with 41mm inverted fork and double disc, remove both tubes + front brake circuit (assuming the discs are 300mm) and install on my bike (with new wheel). Trouble is: I fail to find this information. I found a few places listing bike with 41mm forks, but they don't specify if they're regular, inverted, or something entirely different. Plus I would have to look at each and every one to find which ones have double discs (so two cross-referencing "trips" for each bike).

One more problem: I would assume that tube length is also an issue - enduro and trial bikes, for instance, would have longer tubes, right? - but that's another piece of information that's hard to find (I don't even know how long the tubes are on my own ride!!!)

So, what do you all think?
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

Front brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brakes   Front brakes Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2014 8:02 pm

I tried to figure some of the same info as You Raph but gave up in the end!
I feel you will have to look around bike breakers yards for a complete front end off something else OR look to the bigger twins as they have twin disk set ups already & you may come across a wrecked bike with a complete front end???
Back to top Go down
raffaele.negrin
raffaele.negrin

Front brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brakes   Front brakes Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2014 11:15 pm

Thanks Peter, I was afraid of that. I've asked my mechanic for more ideas (and/or parts that he may be able to get from Suzuki...), we'll keep looking.

BTW Steen, have you finished modifying your Marauder? Pictures, maybe?
Back to top Go down
Steen G
Steen G

Front brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brakes   Front brakes Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 7:50 pm

Haven't even started modifying it yet, wife thinks a new kitchen is more important Front brakes 3213823784

Winter is long in Denmark so it wont be ready before spring, I'll try to remember capturing some pictures while converting the bike.
Back to top Go down
raffaele.negrin
raffaele.negrin

Front brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brakes   Front brakes Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2014 12:14 am

Front brakes 3768075377
Back to top Go down
81ker
Prospect

Front brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brakes   Front brakes Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2021 5:11 pm

Used to own a 1997 vz800 that someone had done a twin disc conversion on,would stop on a penny. looking to do the same on my new marauder       Front brakes 11280911Front brakes 11280910
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Front brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front brakes   Front brakes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front brakes
Page 1 of 1