Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)

Go down 
+7
Ken1964
alfie92
kardax
simbo
TaurusTuga
Lowey
Mr Intruder
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TaurusTuga
TaurusTuga

Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Empty
PostSubject: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2014 10:42 pm

Has anyone installed a coolant temp gauge with sensor on a M800 or another one?
There are many out there, but I am wondering where I can and how to install the sending unit on the motor.
The water temp sensor on the bike puts out variable resistance.
Anyone had any success mating a gauge with sensor?

Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 433968
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2014 11:12 pm

I've read into it for a different bike, I'll drag some info if no one comes back with a reply? I'd have thought it was the same principal.

GabeGonzales likes this post

Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2014 8:55 pm

Not being funny but why the feck bother, if it is not a known of add on to these bikes. Just fit a "Oil Temperature gauge" (THREAD) surely that would be easier and give you nearly the same results required?
Back to top Go down
TaurusTuga
TaurusTuga

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2014 10:22 pm

Mr Intruder wrote:
Not being funny but why the feck bother, if it is not a known of add on to these bikes. Just fit a "Oil Temperature gauge" (THREAD) surely that would be easier and give you nearly the same results required?

Not the same i'm afraid. Oil temp is one thing water temp with sensor is another.
2 years ago i sold my Hayabusa and i had it for 12 years.
One thing i bought almost in the begining, was the oil temp gauge (same as in your link).
In a ride of almost 300kms (186 miles) in a speed not suitable :shock:  i saw that the oil temp was ok…but the water temp gauge begin to speed up almost in redline. I have to stop for a while to see what happened. Simply, the cooler fan was not working.
If i didn't have the gauge water temp, perhaps i was not here writing these words.
That's why i am asking.
For me, security, tyres, brakes and suspensions, i never wanna let "other cool stuff" Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 880307  goes over of my 4 rules Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 2254362768

Regards
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2014 9:35 am

So what your telling me is that your oil temperature never increased at all from the normal running/riding temperature but the water temperature was hitting red line. Sorry but that simply is not true unless you also had a faulty oil temperature gauge. Sometimes people will have oil pressure gauges as well (not on these bikes) & oil pressure drops on those as temperature increases. This is mostly due to the viscosity reducing as the temperature of the engine heats up and therefore increases the temperature of the engine oil at an almost identity rate of speed.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2014 10:07 am

There's a coolant temperature light on the dash that comes on when it reaches 120c, at which point you should stop and let the bike cool down, if it reached that point under normal riding? I'd start checking for faults in the cooling system.
Back to top Go down
Lowey
Valued Member
Lowey

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2014 10:21 am

TaurusTuga wrote:

For me, security, tyres, brakes and suspensions, i never wanna let "other cool stuff"   goes over of my 4 rules
Very sensible thinking.
Back to top Go down
TaurusTuga
TaurusTuga

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2014 11:44 am

Hi Mr. Intruder
Thanks for your wise words. But it only happened on my Busa and not on M800 i must say.
The oil temp cap on M800 is in a place that not very "easy to see at a glance" when riding.
Although only for few seconds to watch it between the body and right arm, this will may cause loosing the "sense of ride".
If i could install a water temp gauge on top, for sure, it will be more easy if anything is not working well.

Regards
Back to top Go down
TaurusTuga
TaurusTuga

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2014 5:54 pm

I spent hours searching on youtube and net with Intruder and other motorcycles to find a way, but they show less than I expected.
One guy shows the way of doing…but with a flash video taken at night :7348: 

I saw also the diagram of doing it, but when reach the sensor mounting…nothing. Others said to make a hole in the radiator and welding around the screw sensor and after the wiring connections.
But for me…nop!! it seems "two much brico" Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 56357
I don't wanna spoil anything after that does not work anymore.

Regards
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2014 10:22 pm

Here's a start to a combined effort in finding a solution to fitting a Temperature Gauge on an 800   Very Happy
Google is our friend lol

Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Kososlimline-temperature-gauge_zpsedc36792

In-line sensor adaptor, Come in various sizes to suit the plumbing on the bike.

Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Kosowater-temperature-sensor-adapter_zps283618a8
The gauge can be fitted anywhere as it's only a small unit, The Sensor adapter needs to be fitted somewhere where there is a constant flow of water? I'm not sure if there's a thermostat by-pass it could be fitted to? But the sensor housings go quite small so that's a possibility. 
Feel free to chip in whenever  Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 3498837457
Back to top Go down
TaurusTuga
TaurusTuga

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2014 10:46 pm

Hi simbo
Thanks for the photo, but i searched also in ebay.co.uk, german, usa, spain and worldwide and yes this is ONE of many i saw..but in info, there's not say (i mean, step by step) how to install (no pdf, video, nothing).
But i don't wanna stop to search...or waiting for the investigation from Mr. Intruder  Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 2018986227 

Regards
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2014 11:17 pm

I'd have thought the Gauge will come with a wiring diagram, It comes with the sensor which has a connector to connect to the connector of the Gauge, So I'd have thought it was just a matter of tapping into a live and earth? Early doors yet, We'll dig deeper  Suspect  Electrics aren't my thing really, So I'll let others confirm the wiring department, I'm interested in the plumbing department and where the sensor adaptor can be placed to give a steady true reading.  Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 184121345
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 8:20 am

That looks like a great start.  Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 3498837457 
I am not all that sure if there are any spare radiator ports but to get a real temperature sensor rather than a warning light alone, it would be worth using that port and in effect disabling the read light or even splice the two in together. I also like the fact it is very small and flat. Definitely a darn good start.   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 3005623951
Back to top Go down
TaurusTuga
TaurusTuga

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 5:38 pm

Hi once again.
For instance, like this (very cheap indeed): Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 3498837457 
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-2-52mm-Water-Temp-Temperature-Gauge-For-Car-Truck-Motorcycle-Motor-/390592129526?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5af11ae9f6
Came with instructions…Sensor Mounting Thread: NPT1 / 8 "?????? Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 2516569736 

But i saw with different diameters (in cars):  
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alloy-Water-Temp-Gauge-Radiator-Hose-Sensor-Adaptor-Temperature-Select-Size-/200758149866?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item2ebe1e42ea

I am a newbie working with wiring and electric things, but if needs a sensor, it will have to be somehow, inserted, screwed or plugin into the radiator.

Regards
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 5:51 pm

NPT-National Pipe Thread, which is the American standard for pipe fittings, Or BSP- British standard pipe, NPT requires PTFE tape when fitting to form a seal as it's tapered, BSP is straight and uses a seal like on a sump plug to for a seal.

You'd be better running a sensor within the pipework as opposed to the rad, Pipes will be pretty cheap compared to the cost of a new rad, Plus it wouldn't give a true reading with the cold air blowing on it constantly.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 5:57 pm

Top sensor is NPT. Bottom sensor is BSP.
Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Thredads_zpsc2dfe8e9
Back to top Go down
TaurusTuga
TaurusTuga

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 7:22 pm

Hi simbo and thanks again for your wise knowledge.  Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 595645194 

But tell me please: Is this what i am looking for?  Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 1090754380 
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Water-Temperature-Gauge-LED-White-Face-Temp-Blue-Motorsport-Racing-Marine-7702-/160897842263?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2576423c57

Regards
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 7:38 pm

Hi Jose, Yeah that would be fine, The one in your first link might be better though as it comes with a temperature sensor included, then all you'd need was a sensor adaptor to fit onto the hose  Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 3498837457
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 9:49 pm

Another point to be made is, When you get the sensor, make sure you get the adaptor with the same type of thread, NPT and BSP are slightly different but not really visible to the naked eye, and water has a nasty habit of finding a way out if possible.

ps. Anyone have a diagram of the 800 cooling system? Just for ease of finding a suitable place to fit the sensor adaptor.
Back to top Go down
TaurusTuga
TaurusTuga

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 11:27 pm

Hi simbo:
But the link i gave you before has also the sensor. It says:
…The electronic sender unit and one or 2 universal adaptors are included in the pack along with instructions - you don't need to be an Auto Electrician to connect this up - thi sgauge has only two wires to connect beyond the usual +12V and Earth power connections.

And about the diagram do you mean like this:
http://www.oemmotorparts.com/oem5.asp?M=Suzuki&T=VZ800&Y=%28E3%20-%20E28%29%202010&L=SU4_-4591&O=RADIATOR%20HOSE&F=SU4_-2115211&L2=SU4_-2115211

I hope this will help
And for all suzuki members (and other ones also): Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 1218875559 
http://www.oemmotorparts.com

Regards
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 12:00 am

Yeah got that one Jose  Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 3498837457 The coolant pump and thermostat is located bottom left of the engine (from the drawings), so I'm guessing the by-pass is the lower smaller pipe beneath that?  If no one comes up with a flow and return diagram before weekend I'll strip my bike down to get a general idea what pipe goes where and where's the best place to fit the sensor adaptor. I had a temperature gauge on my SV1000s and was always looking at it for some strange reason? So it would be nice to have a Temp Gauge on the Intruder just to clear my mind of worry when I'm sat in traffic and the fan kicks in lol 

ps. fan kicks in at 105c by the way, Warning light comes on at 120c, Normal operating temp (while riding ,not stationary) is about 90c.

Oops forgot to post the coolant diagram lol
Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) CE_25104_1
Back to top Go down
TaurusTuga
TaurusTuga

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 11:39 am

Hi Master Simbo  Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 3498837457  
Thanks. As you think to make a striptease with your beloved SV,  Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 87893 i'll wait. 
I don't wanna go ahead without knowing all about and how to install with no problem at all.

and thanks for you always be here Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 3039991824  Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 586905

Regards, José
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 9:04 pm

Flippin eck this thread is getting very interesting  Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 184121345
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 10:42 pm

Here's diagram of the thermostat and pump on the 800 just for reference, Also, New radiators cost 615 Euro's as opposed to the most expensive pipe being 26 Euro's  affraid 
Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 800waterpump_zpsffe04d38
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 10:50 pm

Oh, I also looked into the Koso Temp gauges and sensors? From what I can gather they're pretty much plug n play, The Temp sensor comes with a plug to attatch to the gauge and the gauge has a separate feed for a switched live and neutral, I'm not sure all makes are like this though? They also do a range of different size sensor adaptors.
Back to top Go down
TaurusTuga
TaurusTuga

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 11:07 pm

Hi simbo..but where the adaptor sensor will be placed on the draw? Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes

This is a  :7348:  confused for me...

More you "dig" more i am feeling buried. Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 2516569736

Perhaps i need a sleep over it and let the things "goes by" Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 586905

Regards
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 11:32 pm

Not sure yet Jose? I'm thinking hose No4 (conduction) at the moment, I'll take the tank and various covers off at weekend to get a general idea where the water is flowing and where will give a true indication of engine temperature, The by-pass hose at the bottom (small one in the diagram) would give true temp, but it would mean starting looking for fuel/oil line sensor adaptors with it being such a narrow pipe, We'll get there in the end don't worry  Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 3498837457
Back to top Go down
TaurusTuga
TaurusTuga

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 12:51 pm

Thanks so much Sim Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 2170595768 

But think this with me please Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 256401 :
You said that the M800 has a warning red light when the temp reaches the 120º, right?
So, it will have a sensor temp somewhere to start attached, placed or joined in one of the hoses linked into the radiator, OR NOT?

Kindly regards
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 5:27 pm

Yes Jose, It will have a temperature sensor, but that will be linked to the ECU I'd have thought, probably best not messing with that one really.
Back to top Go down
TaurusTuga
TaurusTuga

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 11:44 pm

simbo wrote:
Yes Jose, It will have a temperature sensor, but that will be linked to the ECU I'd have thought, probably best not messing with that one really.

Hi Sim
Probably is the best not messing with anything and stay quiet… lol!  lol!  lol!
I really begin to think that's the best choice Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 3213823784  Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 3213823784  Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 3213823784

Regards
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 12:07 am

Where's the fun in that!  Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 2740622253  After further investigation? There's 2 sensors, One for the fan and one for the ECU just to throw a little more confusion in the mix :aghh:  Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 852880 , Once I get the internal hose diameter at the weekend? More shall become clear  Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 3498837457 
Back to top Go down
TaurusTuga
TaurusTuga

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 12:03 pm

That's ok Sim, i really wanted to make a break in all this FBI, CIA  motorcycle investigation.. Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 256401

I really appreciate what you are doing and checking, to help a member that lives in the ass of Europe lol!  Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 3213823784  Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 3213823784 

Regards
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 2:08 pm

I've had a look at the Cooling system today to get an idea of what goes where and where things might fit? The best place to fit the sensor adaptor would be on hose '19' as near to the rear cylinder as possible, But it's 'metal' and would mean cutting the pipe and getting a sensor adaptor the same diameter as the pipe and fitting hose over each joint so seal it, Pipe '22' is to short and has a bend in it, so that's not really an option, hose '7' only gets warm after the thermostat has opened so wouldn't give a true reading, especially if the thermostat was faulty, Hose '6' is to short and would only give the temperature of water after it's been cooled by the radiator once the thermostat has opened, Hose '4' would only give the temperature of the coolant in the radiator, So basically that leaves the thermostat By-Pass hose at the bottom (under 7) That would give a true reading of the coolant temperature at all times, There's a joint in the by-pass hose near the left foot peg which would be a ready made place to put a sensor adaptor without it being to visible, that would also allow the wiring to be run along the larger pipe up towards the headstock where the gauge would be situated, These are the hose diagrams again for reference  (saves scrolling) and below is what you would need to fit it.
Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Hosediagram_zps0fa86cdf
Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 800waterpump_zpsffe04d38
Hose adaptor
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuel-Gauge-Adaptor-8mm-1-8-NPTF-/350894162287?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item51b2ec016f
Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) $(KGrHqRHJ!4FI13UwDCpBSRZY-jHow~~60_12
Temperature gauge and sensor
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271423794107?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) $(KGrHqF,!qsFHMh4!IgLBR0toPomQQ~~60_12
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 3:11 pm

Bloody good bit of researching Simbo, bet I know what you will fitting soon  Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 2740622253 
Back to top Go down
TaurusTuga
TaurusTuga

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 5:25 pm

Great Sim, well done.. Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 3498837457 
Meanwhile, i made also a research as "Detective Columbo" Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 2740622253  and i founded this:

Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Adapto11

This is equal to our hose nº4, but you say that it will be more safe in the hose nº7, right?
They said that NOT ALL gauge are suitable for motorcycles. Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 804997 

The only thing i must do before go ahead is to measure the internal diameter inner hose like in the photo with the same diameter and make all fitment brackets & wirings between adaptor, sensor, gauge & battery and all it will work ok.
What you think about this? Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 1090754380 

Regards
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 8:15 pm

Hi Jose, Hose no4 only goes up to the radiator cap under the petrol tank and the coolant would be stationary in that pipe unless the pressure got to high, by that time it would be overheating,, I was thinking hose No 19 but it's metal and would require more work, it could be done though like in the picture you posted above, Hose No7 is after the thermostat and only gets warm once the thermostat has opened, which would mean if the thermostat stuck? the gauge would only give a reading of the temperature in the hose and not the engine temp which could be overheating, The small bottom By-Pass hose is constantly flowing coolant round straight from the engine before it's got to the radiator, and even with the thermostat shut, so seems an ideal place for the sensor and adaptor, especially as it's already got a joint in it which could be used for the sensor adapter.
ps. The koso temp gauge and sensor works on a bike, I've seen one fitted and working.
Back to top Go down
TaurusTuga
TaurusTuga

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 11:54 pm

Hi and good evening Sim
As i understood, the best place will be replacing the joint in it here?

Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Sensor10

And the hose adaptor will be the same as the one you show before from ebay?
If you saw the koso temp working, the fitted sensor was joined in the same place that you thinking for mine?
Sorry, but i am really a newbie with all this. Perhaps it will be more wise to buy the stuff needed and after i get it, be made by a pro.

Regards
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 12:44 am

Good Morning Jose, Yes, I feel that would be the best and easiest place to fit the sensor adaptor, simply because of the minimal work involved in fitting and the temperature of the coolant is straight from the engine and pretty steady in that position due to it bypassing the thermostat and before it's been in the radiator to cool it down, The internal hose diameter there is 8mm that's why a fuel sensor adaptor would be needed, same thing as a coolant adaptor but coolant ones only go down to 14mm from what I've seen? I've seen the Koso temp set up fitted and working on a GSX1250 but there's a lot more hose work to play with on those bikes than on the 800, the one I've seen fitted and working was fitted on the equivalent to hose 19 straight after leaving the engine with a 22mm adaptor, same principle as the 800, just more hose to play with on the GSX1250, the bypass hose gives the same temperature as hose 19 and isn't interrupted by the thermostat like hose 7 would be.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 8:38 am

Hmmm just had a thought?  Putting the sensor adaptor in the bypass hose in that position wouldn't give a true reading if the water pump failed, arghh! Back to the drawing board lol.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 9:40 am

Sim You can't be on the safe side of everything, just keep the red warning light attached as an extra warning. Fair play for all the work you have put in, I am finding this thread very interesting.  Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 3498837457  It's lovely to sit back & see so much enthusiasm and commitment being put into an idea & I am sure this will be another first on these bikes & Suzuki800.com.   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 3005623951
Back to top Go down
kardax
kardax

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 9:45 am

Hi everyone,
this is veeery interesting read for me too, since I have had this Koso tachometer, with water temperature (nice tach btw):

http://www.kosonorthamerica.com/koso/shop/tachometer-motorcycle_gauges/gp-style-tachometer-with-water-temperature-7/

for couple of years now, but I have not installed the water temperature sensor...yet. But that's about to change this spring, I'm waiting now a 22 millimeter adapter, that I ordered:

http://www.kosoeurope.com/images/articles/a3fcf8ca630c730212bb21ef8a5e9db0_4.jpg
Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) A3fcf8ca630c730212bb21ef8a5e9db0_4
...aaand I really hope, that it will be the correct size? You see, I still have my M800 sitting at my brother's garage far away because it's too cold out here to ride yet, and I just heard some guesstimate about the hose outside diameter, and I made the order just based on that.

Of course I'm not sure yet, where to install it, if there is not enough room in pipes, where the reading would make sense.
Back to top Go down
kardax
kardax

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 10:15 am

One idea came to my mind. If the hose 19 would be the best place for the sensor, and that hose being metal makes at least me unwilling to cut it, how about just attaching the sensor tightly to the surface of the hose with something like this:

http://www.freshwatersystems.com/images/Product/medium/5608.jpg
Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 5608
Maybe just an ordinary hose clamp would do, with small enough hole drilled to it for the sensor, that the sensor could be screwed through the hole with it's threads so it would not just slip out?
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 6:04 pm

Mr Intruder wrote:
Sim You can't be on the safe side of everything, just keep the red warning light attached as an extra warning. Fair play for all the work you have put in, I am finding this thread very interesting.  Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 3498837457  It's lovely to sit back & see so much enthusiasm and commitment being put into an idea & I am sure this will be another first on these bikes & Suzuki800.com.   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 3005623951

Your right Dave, I probably am being over cautious and over thinking things  Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 474255 And as you say? the red warning light would come on before any damage was caused to the engine, plus the fan would be working overtime to cool things down and the gauge would be showing an abnormally high temperature  Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 184121345 

That's a nice tacho you've got there kardax  Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 3498837457 It's a shame you've not been using it to it's full potential with the temp gauge working though, Hopefully you'll have it up and running this season, I like the idea of the strap on boss in the picture above for it's simplicity, I don't think it would be up to the job over a long period of time though? I've just had another look at the bikes hoses, And I think the adapter you've ordered would fit on the 'rubber' hose 22 where it connects to hose 19 by removing a section of the hose the same length as the adapter before the bend, and then using a piece of the off cut to rejoin to the metal pipe 19, (same as the one in TaurusTuga's post)  The 22mm adapter looks spot on size wise for that position too.
ps. what sort of length is the cable that's supplied with the gauge and sensor? It looks to have a short length on either item and then a cable to connect the both of them together.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 9:22 pm

Very interesting thread, would be great to see it done  Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 276246 
Back to top Go down
TaurusTuga
TaurusTuga

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 9:32 pm

Hi Sim, Mr. Intruder and Mr. kardax
Thanks so much for all your posts, it means "that i am not alone" Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 3498837457 with this issue.

Sim, do you mean doing like this? Wink

Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Adapto12
About the length sensor cable, you're right Sim: the ones i saw never say what are the really measures… :7348:

Regards
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 9:50 pm

Hi Jose, Yeah mate that's exactly what I meant  Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 3498837457  If you look at kardax's clocks from the link, it shows about 150mm of cable attached to the clock & sensor and a rolled up lead, which I'm presuming connects the 2 together? it would be handy to know the length of that cable if possible?
Back to top Go down
TaurusTuga
TaurusTuga

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 11:40 pm

Hi Sim and good evening
This is really a jigsaw puzzle… :ill:  :ill:  :ill: 
Read please what they say about in this forum, specially the picture 002.jpg: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 256401 
http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/koso-slim-water-temp-gauge-install.574207/
They put the sensor into "our hose 19"!!!!!

About length cables, this will help? Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 586905 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KOSO-BLUE-RED-LED-Display-Thermometer-Temperature-gauge-Display-0-120-Celsius-/290648263382

Regards to all
Back to top Go down
kardax
kardax

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2014 8:36 am

simbo,
my cables are like the following; the short cable attached to the sensor is about 10 cm long, and has a small connector, which can be attached to a extension cable, about 1 meter long, which in turn can be attached to the Koso-meter.
The cable seems to have only two wires, so I don't see much difficultes to make longer extension for it, if necessary. I have a picture, let's see, if I can get it here....

https://i.servimg.com/u/f55/18/81/59/28/tempca10.jpg

Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Tempca10
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2014 5:06 pm

Thanks for the Picture and information kardax  Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 3498837457 Yeah Jose I read what they say in that forum  Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 3498837457 They seem to be impressed with the set up and the temp gauge, I noticed they soon drifted away from fitting the adapter to the aluminium hose by drilling and threading the hole, to the easier option of fitting an in line adapter in the rubber hose.
Back to top Go down
TaurusTuga
TaurusTuga

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2014 7:21 pm

Thanks for this amazing and full exhausting replies with a well pro knowledge about this issue.

I cannot decide yet to go ahead with this. To purchase and do it like "brico newbie" and probably begin to start other problems with the electric parts, ECU and stuff, that's not what i am really interested.
If by any chance i go to a pro shop here that make this kind of works, it's a lot of money to spend, believe me.

As Mr. Intruder said:"... the red warning light would come on before any damage was caused to the engine, plus the fan would be working overtime to cool things down and the gauge would be showing an abnormally high temperature  Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 184121345 "

Regards to all
P.S. Perhaps a new dark tint windscreen will be more easier and cool to install and start Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 256401 and give a really "dark side street look" as i want for my M. Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) 666713
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)   Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Installing coolant/water temperature gauge . . . . . . (Now Done)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next