Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gear shifter rod feels crunchy

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

Gear shifter rod feels crunchy Empty
PostSubject: Gear shifter rod feels crunchy   Gear shifter rod feels crunchy Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2014 9:56 pm

After having completed the TRE mod today, I had a friend test drive the bike to get his opinion, and I rode his bike as well.

My bike surely pulls a lot better with all the mods than his new 2010 fully standard, but I noticed a few things when I rode his bike.

His clutch felt lighter and easier to squeeze. This it not a concern for me.

His gear shifter was much smoother and was much higher. I have now adjusted the gear linkage so that both the gear shifter rod crank is vertical, and the foot gear shifter pedal crank is vertical, this brought the pedal a bit higher and may help better return the shifter after changing gears, and eliminate missing gears some times.

But in trying to get my shifter more smooth, I inspected the shifter rod seal and it looked dry and a bit cracked.
I tried to spray it with WD40 and oil, but the shifter rod still feels sort of crunchy when I rotate it, like there is sand in the bearing.

I have googled gear shifter issues, and in some cases the seal needs replacement, and I think that is a good idea as it looks dry and cracked, but do you think I need to remove the shifter rod to clean it and regrease it ?

And what is the easiest way to remove the shifter rod ?
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Gear shifter rod feels crunchy   Gear shifter rod feels crunchy Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2014 3:35 pm

Not sure with the M although I am sure it's the same for the C, wouldn't want to give advice off the top of my head though. Have a look in the very top thread in this section as the M / VZ800 manual is there.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Gear shifter rod feels crunchy   Gear shifter rod feels crunchy Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2014 5:06 pm

Might sound silly but as the engines oil dose the gears as well, is it up to date with the oil change, that can make a bigger difference than some might at first think or forget about
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Gear shifter rod feels crunchy   Gear shifter rod feels crunchy Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2014 6:30 pm

I have checked the oil and although I have not changed yet, it looks nice and light brown through the window.

I might try taking the shifter rod out and inspecting it for rust, and re-greasing it together with a new oil seal.
Back to top Go down
Rick9000
Rick9000

PostSubject: Gera Shifter Issue   Gear shifter rod feels crunchy Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2014 11:20 am

Hi Kim just wondering if you solved the gear shifter rod issue. I have the same problem with my c800 K8

Thanks
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Gear shifter rod feels crunchy   Gear shifter rod feels crunchy Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2014 11:44 am

I've ordered a new oil seal, so maybe next week.
Back to top Go down
Rick9000
Rick9000

PostSubject: Re: Gear shifter rod feels crunchy   Gear shifter rod feels crunchy Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 8:38 am

Let me know how things go. I know that to remove the shifter rod involves removing the clutch and associated parts to pull the rod out which is a lot of hassle if it's not really effecting the performance of the gears. 

Then there's the cost of new oil and clutch cover gasket which all stars to mount up.
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Gear shifter rod feels crunchy   Gear shifter rod feels crunchy Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 8:19 pm

I changed the oil seal, oil and oil filter today. It helped a bit, but there is still a little grinding feeling in the first small turning motion of the gear shifter shaft.

I could only get a 22x12x7mm oil seal, and the original is 22x12x9mm, but it does not matter as it just sits a bit deeper in the housing.

There is plenty of play between the shifter shaft and the housing, to allow oil to lubricate it, and I don't think it can rust in there.

But as it helped with the new oil, it is most likely just the return spring grinding a bit on the pin holding it.

Everything is working fine and the shifting is good, so I won't do anything about this.

Gear shifter rod feels crunchy IMAGE_28

Gear shifter rod feels crunchy IMAGE_29

Gear shifter rod feels crunchy IMAGE_30

Gear shifter rod feels crunchy IMAGE_31
Back to top Go down
yorky
VIP Member
yorky

PostSubject: Re: Gear shifter rod feels crunchy   Gear shifter rod feels crunchy Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 9:10 pm

If its a slight metal on metal scraping feeling...I've got it.. assumed it was normal !
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Gear shifter rod feels crunchy   Gear shifter rod feels crunchy Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 9:48 pm

That is also the conclusion I have come to now.  Gear shifter rod feels crunchy 2215087486
Back to top Go down
Rick9000
Rick9000

PostSubject: Re: Gear shifter rod feels crunchy   Gear shifter rod feels crunchy Icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 9:01 pm

Kim thanks for the update. Looks like there are a few of us with this. Your kind information will save others scratching their head with this one.  I like everything on my bike to be just right and this was beginning to grate on my nerves !
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Gear shifter rod feels crunchy   Gear shifter rod feels crunchy Icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 9:05 pm

Good on you Kim for following through with this & letting us know your findings.  Gear shifter rod feels crunchy 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gear shifter rod feels crunchy   Gear shifter rod feels crunchy Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gear shifter rod feels crunchy
Page 1 of 1