Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Removing the catalytic convertors?

Go down 
+2
simbo
mick9264
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mick9264
mick9264

Removing the catalytic convertors? Empty
PostSubject: Removing the catalytic convertors?   Removing the catalytic convertors? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2014 9:24 pm

Hi all, anyone removed the cats on a FI model? as I understand, this will not light the FI light up and will sound better and give a bit more power or so I'm told by a car mechanic. Just thinking aloud at the moment but food for thought!
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Removing the catalytic convertors?   Removing the catalytic convertors? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2014 10:06 pm

I can't see there being any noticeable gains Mick?
Back to top Go down
mick9264
mick9264

PostSubject: Re: Removing the catalytic convertors?   Removing the catalytic convertors? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2014 10:10 pm

Bugger it then!  Removing the catalytic convertors? 433968
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Removing the catalytic convertors?   Removing the catalytic convertors? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2014 8:19 am

Mick we don't remove them, but members do remove there use though. They do it when looking for a better louder sound by belting a pointed rod up the center of the pipes which put a hole in the two plates that are half way up the pipes or another way of describing it, at the top section of the rear muffler.
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Removing the catalytic convertors?   Removing the catalytic convertors? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2014 4:30 pm

Hi Mick, if you remove the cat it should help the engine breathe easier, it is surprising how restrictive they are and heavy, if you do that and fit more of a free breathing exhaust have a look at Mr I,s section on EFI boosting, also an exhaust that would look OK and is easy to de-restrict are the shotgun style ones off Harley's, will be doing an instruct able on these when we get back as I have a couple of these knocking about in the spares caravan and they are reasonably cheap to buy.
Back to top Go down
mick9264
mick9264

PostSubject: Re: Removing the catalytic convertors?   Removing the catalytic convertors? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2014 6:22 pm

Hi, I like the standard look but a bit more of a fruity sound, I have already spiked the exhaust but stopped at the cats as I'm a coward, bike seems better for it I have to say. I will try to man up and poke a stick through the cats and try to remove them completely when I get chance. I will have a mooch at the harley pipes though! Thanks for the reply.
Back to top Go down
mick9264
mick9264

PostSubject: Re: Removing the catalytic convertors?   Removing the catalytic convertors? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2014 9:46 pm

spoke to a pal of mine down at the shooting range and he said if the lambda sensor is behind the cat it could/should trigger a fault code but looked a bit confused when I told him that after market zoists don't have cats and don't trigger the FI light. he also said the best way to remove the cat is with a masonary drill as they are made of ceramic! you learn something new every day  Removing the catalytic convertors? 87893
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Removing the catalytic convertors?   Removing the catalytic convertors? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2014 10:50 pm

There'll be no problems with the FI light if you remove the cat's, they're after the lambda sensors and the sensors only read the unburnt fuel/air ratio and send signals back to the ecu to lean things out accordingly, I'm not sure on noise improvement? but I still don't think you'll notice any performance gains by removing them but I'll be interested in your findings  Removing the catalytic convertors? 3498837457
Back to top Go down
mick9264
mick9264

PostSubject: Re: Removing the catalytic convertors?   Removing the catalytic convertors? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2014 10:54 pm

Cheers Sim, that's if I grow a pair and decide to give them a battering! Still scared!
Back to top Go down
OldManYam
Very Valued VIP Member
OldManYam

PostSubject: Re: Removing the catalytic convertors?   Removing the catalytic convertors? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2014 11:30 pm

Hi Mick,

it sounds like you are getting to 'crunch point' .... either 'rod the cat' (so to speak) or look at aftermarket pipes. (Or stay as you are).

I think the straight-shots look good on cruisers.
 Removing the catalytic convertors? 3005623951  Yam
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: Removing the catalytic convertors?   Removing the catalytic convertors? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 9:44 am

a length of 8 or 10mm thread sharpen the end with a angle grinder knock it down through all the plates in exhaust can be done nice and slowly while being in total control best to use a club hammer because of the weight of hammer you don't have to wack it just slowly bang it through thread is the best thing to use as if it feels stuck you can use mole grips to turn it out (like a screw) all so it's cheap to bye and normally comes in meter lengths from all the usual DIY shops I've done it to 3/4 bikes I have had in the past without any problems
Back to top Go down
mick9264
mick9264

PostSubject: Re: Removing the catalytic convertors?   Removing the catalytic convertors? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 6:57 pm

mick9264 wrote:
Hi, I like the standard look but a bit more of a fruity sound, I have already spiked the exhaust but stopped at the cats as I'm a coward, bike seems better for it I have to say. I will try to man up and poke a stick through the cats and try to remove them completely when I get chance. I will have a mooch at the harley pipes though! Thanks for the  reply.
Hi, I stopped at the cats as I wasn't sure if it would make a difference, I used a 20mm drawn steel bar which I sharpened in my lathe and it breezed through the plates with very little effort. I was going to drill the cats out but wanted to hear off someone who had already done it in case I made a bollocks of my pipes. She sounds better for the mod especially under load and is still quiet on tickover but with a deeper tone. Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Removing the catalytic convertors?   Removing the catalytic convertors? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Removing the catalytic convertors?
Page 1 of 1