Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Switchgear strip down

Go down 
+2
simbo
katsd
6 posters
AuthorMessage
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

Switchgear strip down Empty
PostSubject: Switchgear strip down   Switchgear strip down Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 1:00 pm

The switchgear housing / casings on my '01 are looking a bit tatty.  Nothing serious, just worming under the lacquer, bit of white furring etc.  Anyone had any experience of stripping them down & cleaning them?  Was thinking of spraying them black - any ideas anyone?

Cheers
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Switchgear strip down   Switchgear strip down Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 5:27 pm

Spraying them black sounds good, are they lacquered aluminium or silver spray? mine are silver spray with black lettering.
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Switchgear strip down   Switchgear strip down Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 8:43 pm

I've scratched the lacquer away where it's peeling & it's the same finish underneath, so I'm guessing it's lacquered aluminium.  I've managed to locate a used pair, so I can have a "play" & see what works best.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Switchgear strip down   Switchgear strip down Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 10:50 pm

Maybe one of those little wire brush attachments in a Dremel...
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Switchgear strip down   Switchgear strip down Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 9:40 pm

Finally managed to get round to rebuilding the switchgear.  

This is how they started off - no way was I going to fit them onto a new set of bars.

Switchgear strip down <a href=Switchgear strip down DSC08019_zpse273d19a" />

As they came back from the paint shop

Switchgear strip down <a href=Switchgear strip down DSC08028_zpsfc3caf8d" />

After a couple of hours fitting the innards back into them

Switchgear strip down <a href=Switchgear strip down DSC08083_zps26542a00" />Switchgear strip down <a href=Switchgear strip down DSC08084_zps5b62857c" />Switchgear strip down <a href=Switchgear strip down DSC08082_zps593ffec7" />

I'd debated having the writing back on them, but decided that I'd like to see them "stealth" / unmarked - I'm sure I can remember what they all do.  Thought the plain black would look good against the new black bars

Should have been straight forward - but when is anything !!  First of all, it was a git to get the headlight on/off rocker to seat correctly - kept popping it in & out, eventually it just slotted where it was supposed to.  Then the screw holding the starter button switch in place sheared off at the head.  Managed to drill it out (2 mm drill bit !! ) & fit a fine self-tapper instead.  Connected the starter, the lights came on, but the deafening sound of silence was emitted from the starter itself - bugger !! Just about to start stripping it down when I realised that I'd need to connect the other side with the clutch cut-out.  Bingo !!

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be picking up the last bits from the engineers that I need to fit the drag bars - https://www.suzuki800.com/t4447-flat-drag-bars - this should have been a simple mod, but I've managed to make a right mountain out of it !!
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Switchgear strip down   Switchgear strip down Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 9:51 pm

They look good Dave Switchgear strip down 102087026 , are the new bars a Satin Black?
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Switchgear strip down   Switchgear strip down Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 9:55 pm

Yeh, they are.  Wasn't sure about mixing satin & glass finishes, but had a chat with Rich (the sprayer) & he thought the contrast would work.  If not, they only cost a tenner to spray & now I've stripped them a couple of times, I know how to do them
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Switchgear strip down   Switchgear strip down Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 10:02 pm

I'll give a  Switchgear strip down 428386  to the Satin contrasting Gloss looking good  Switchgear strip down 2215087486
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Switchgear strip down   Switchgear strip down Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 10:05 pm

Hopefully find out over the next few days !!
Back to top Go down
oldtom
oldtom

PostSubject: Re: Switchgear strip down   Switchgear strip down Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 6:38 pm

Those switches are looking good. Well done you.
Back to top Go down
Ken1964
Valued Member
Ken1964

PostSubject: Re: Switchgear strip down   Switchgear strip down Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 9:27 pm

They look very good Sir.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Switchgear strip down   Switchgear strip down Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 9:52 pm

Dave your a bad man, that's another job I now have to do to my bike.  oyili
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Switchgear strip down   Switchgear strip down Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 9:55 pm

Big recommendation - take LOADS of photos when you're stripping them down - cause a month later, your memory will be playing tricks on which screw went where !!
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Switchgear strip down   Switchgear strip down Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 9:56 pm

Will do Dave, good call. I will do my switch this weekend & post mine here. Switchgear strip down 3498837457
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Switchgear strip down   Switchgear strip down Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2014 1:26 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Switchgear strip down   Switchgear strip down Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Switchgear strip down
Page 1 of 1