Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Clunking and Rubbing!!!!

Go down 
+3
alfie92
Ken1964
monty662
7 posters
AuthorMessage
monty662
Prospect
monty662

Clunking and Rubbing!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Clunking and Rubbing!!!!   Clunking and Rubbing!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2014 8:58 am

I have had my VZ800 Marauder for about a month now, and over the past few days there has been an increase in noise from the gear/chain housing.....

At low speeds it sounds like the chain is rubbing, and also there is a clunking noise coming from the same area.

I did read somewhere that the chain can become stiff in places and therefore not follow the sprocket...I don't know...

It has only done 20K Kms so things can't be wearing out already!!!!
Back to top Go down
Ken1964
Valued Member
Ken1964

PostSubject: Re: Clunking and Rubbing!!!!   Clunking and Rubbing!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2014 1:18 pm

A chain can be stretched due to riding habits extremely quickly.
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Clunking and Rubbing!!!!   Clunking and Rubbing!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2014 1:57 pm

Jack the rear wheel up off the floor and slowly turn the wheel to see if you have any tight parts in the chain,this is the easy way to check it.Also check the rear sprocket for hooked teeth,they should be straight,these are things you can do without getting your spanners out to delve further.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Clunking and Rubbing!!!!   Clunking and Rubbing!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2014 5:56 pm

Sounds like a Seized Link?
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: Clunking and Rubbing!!!!   Clunking and Rubbing!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2014 7:20 pm

20k on a chain wow that's good going my bike eats em up hahaha although it has a little bit more power than your vz I would agree with the others check your chain and sprockets do you keep the chain lube up? is the chain sagging you might need to adjust it  by putting the rear wheel back a bit
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Clunking and Rubbing!!!!   Clunking and Rubbing!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2014 9:22 pm

I used to have to adjust my chains every dew rides, probably a cheap chains. Oh OK then they always were. Worked out expensive in the long run though as I would have to buy another cheap chain occasionally along with sprockets as well.
Back to top Go down
Two-Bears
* VZ Guru *
Two-Bears

PostSubject: Re: Clunking and Rubbing!!!!   Clunking and Rubbing!!!! Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2014 4:07 am

Hello Ian,
I agree with the comments about the chain the guys have said,,, the chain on the VZ800 is quite long and if not maintained and the chain free play kept within spec it can have a lot of excess free play,,,,,, at the front of the swing arm on the left side is a shaped/moulded rubber buffer intended to stop the chain clattering the swing arm,,, at lower speeds stop start town riding speeds, if the chain is worn/loose it can flap around a lot as you go on/off the throttle the chain whips,,, I have replaced a few of the shaped/moulded rubber buffers as they ware through and also they appear to rot over time plus all the snot and clagg that gets deposited on it from the chain lube e.t.c speeds up the rubber decay,,,,, when this shaped/moulded rubber buffer wares through the chain can be heard rubbing and when the chain whips it wallops the swing arm giving a clunk,,,,, it is well worth checking this shaped/moulded rubber buffer mate,,, it tends to ware through at the top and can score the swing arm quite badly,,, if it is worn and you need to replace it you will also have to sort the chain,,, I have a quality DID chain and scott oiler on my VZ800.
Hope this is of some help mate.
Back to top Go down
monty662
Prospect
monty662

PostSubject: Re: Clunking and Rubbing!!!!   Clunking and Rubbing!!!! Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2014 9:03 am

Thanks for all the advice guys....I have taken it on board and I will look at it at the weekend...only time I have spare!!!!!

Will let you know the outcome...

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clunking and Rubbing!!!!   Clunking and Rubbing!!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Clunking and Rubbing!!!!
Page 1 of 1