Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Another Virago based project.

Go down 
+7
Ken1964
alfie92
Doc Cox
Mr Intruder
simbo
fat intruder
DocSjulle
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 6:48 pm

That type of paint scheme will look excellent on the tank, it will make it look longer and slimmer, doing a great job Kim  Another Virago based project. - Page 2 276246 Another Virago based project. - Page 2 65147
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 9:25 pm

Another Virago based project. - Page 2 2170595768Another Virago based project. - Page 2 428386 on Nigels comments
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2014 7:17 am

I have been doing house repairs and going to work, neglecting the bike project lately.

But yesterday I did my first try at painting flames on a gray painted board, and it will look so cool on the bike.

I made a stencil from cutting the flames out in cardboard, and laying it on top of the board, and spraying the inside edges of the stencil. It made a bit of fuzzy edges, because it floated a bit of the surface.

When I do it on the tank, it will be done in either masking paper, or free hand masking with 3mm tape.

Another Virago based project. - Page 2 IMG_0003
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2014 10:00 am

Looks ok to me Kim!
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2014 10:03 am

Another Virago based project. - Page 2 428386  Should look good  Another Virago based project. - Page 2 2170595768
Back to top Go down
Ken1964
Valued Member
Ken1964

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2014 12:12 pm

Always liked flames on cars or bikes, you certainly have the skills to do the job.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2014 5:36 pm

They look well cool, cant wait to see how that turns out on your ride  Another Virago based project. - Page 2 184121345
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2014 9:07 pm

Good looking flames you have there, they would not look out of place on any vehicle. Another Virago based project. - Page 2 2645662097
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2014 2:54 pm

After painting a board with two different colors of yellow, I decided upon the darker one, and painted the front fender today.

Another Virago based project. - Page 2 IMG_0080

I have decided to do the flames non symmetric by hand, because it just looks weird when it is to evenly symmetrical made.

Another Virago based project. - Page 2 IMG_0115
Another Virago based project. - Page 2 IMG_0116
Another Virago based project. - Page 2 IMG_0117
Another Virago based project. - Page 2 IMG_0118
Another Virago based project. - Page 2 IMG_0119Another Virago based project. - Page 2 IMG_0120
Another Virago based project. - Page 2 IMG_0121
Another Virago based project. - Page 2 IMG_0122
Another Virago based project. - Page 2 IMG_0123

Then the tank is next, and both parts will get 4-5 coats of clearcoat.
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2014 3:05 pm

Looking good there Kim!
Back to top Go down
Ken1964
Valued Member
Ken1964

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2014 3:09 pm

That will be some beautiful bike, very well done Sir. You have the skills for sure.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2014 5:31 pm

Another Virago based project. - Page 2 428386 Another Virago based project. - Page 2 2215087486 Another Virago based project. - Page 2 102087026 lgd Nice job Kim.
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2014 9:49 pm

Looks ace,very good job Kim.
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2014 10:44 pm

all coming together looking great mate keep up the good work Another Virago based project. - Page 2 3498837457
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2014 3:52 pm

I have spent all day masking and painting the flames on the tank today.

Another Virago based project. - Page 2 IMG_0148

Another Virago based project. - Page 2 IMG_0150

Another Virago based project. - Page 2 IMG_0152

Another Virago based project. - Page 2 IMG_0154
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2014 7:02 pm

Looking good Kim,  Another Virago based project. - Page 2 3498837457 good idea to do the flames freehand, better than perfectly equal, did you use an airbrush to do the flames?  lgd
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2014 7:15 pm

Another Virago based project. - Page 2 2215087486  your making a very nice job of it  Another Virago based project. - Page 2 3498837457
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2014 7:33 pm

Doc Cox wrote:
Looking good Kim,  Another Virago based project. - Page 2 3498837457 good idea to do the flames freehand, better than perfectly equal, did you use an airbrush to do the flames?  lgd

Yep, I used one of these cheap ones eBay airbrush, and with this small compressor MC90 airbrush compressor, I can use it in the house because it is very quiet.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2014 7:39 pm

That looks the excellent, well done. That'll look lovely when it's been clear coated.
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2015 9:18 pm

I have made a little bit of progress with the bike.

Removed the seat, sissybar, headlight, bars and instrumentation, and made a mockup of some 16" ape hangers.

I also used some wood to see how it would look lowered.

Another Virago based project. - Page 2 IMG_0013

Another Virago based project. - Page 2 IMG_0015
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2015 9:29 pm

I also decided to convert it to a single carburator setup, and modified the carburator to be able to change the pilot jet, instead of the pressed in fixed pilot jet.

This way I can use an easily available cheap jet from a Delorto carb, to make the adjustment easy.

Another Virago based project. - Page 2 IMG_1054

First you carefully drill out the pressed in jet.

Another Virago based project. - Page 2 IMG_1055

Then make a small brass connector to fit over the old jet tube, with a 4mm thread in one end to screw the new jet in to.

Another Virago based project. - Page 2 IMG_1056

Another Virago based project. - Page 2 IMG_1057

Another Virago based project. - Page 2 IMG_1058

And solder it to the old jet tube.

Another Virago based project. - Page 2 IMG_1059

Another Virago based project. - Page 2 IMG_1060
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2015 9:37 pm

Nice work on the Carb Kim, Paint job looks good too, The bikes coming along nicely  lgd
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2015 7:29 am

Him Kim, coming on steadily looking good, a very interesting mod for the carb, do you have a link for this please,  Another Virago based project. - Page 2 2645662097 sssmily
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2015 9:54 am

Nice one I can see this is going to be a spot on bike
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2015 11:36 am

Doc Cox wrote:
Him Kim, coming on steadily looking good, a very interesting mod for the carb, do you have a link for this please,  Another Virago based project. - Page 2 2645662097 sssmily

Yep, i found the info on the WTF site, but used a smaller diameter jet, that I can also buy locally.

Here is the link.

http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=31972&p=283053&hilit=second+gen+pilot+mod#p283053
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2015 1:18 pm

Think that seat is going to be damn hard Kim  Another Virago based project. - Page 2 3213823784 hyst Another Virago based project. - Page 2 2740622253
Back to top Go down
OldManYam
Very Valued VIP Member
OldManYam

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2015 7:16 pm

lgd .... an interesting project ......

...... but as Peter says - I'm not sure about that seat !  Another Virago based project. - Page 2 852880  ....
...... & the rear shocks look a bit 'wooden' to me ! Another Virago based project. - Page 2 2343124779
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2015 12:47 pm

Good one Yam Another Virago based project. - Page 2 2343124779

Today I picked up the grinder and cut the rear frame from the bike, and chopped the seat down to a solo seat.

I also flipped the rises to push the handle bars a bit forward, allowing them to have more angle towards the rear.

Still not sure about the handle bars, and might end up welding something together myself.

Another Virago based project. - Page 2 IMG_1070
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2015 5:13 pm

Taking shape!  Another Virago based project. - Page 2 3498837457
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2015 5:30 pm

I have started on the new intake manifold today, after deciding it would be too expensive to get a finished one.

Even though fiberglass is not the best material to use because of the heat from the heads, I think it will work fine if it is isolated from having direct contact with the heads.

I started by taking some pipe foam insulation, and used some alupex pipe inside to keep the shape, which was made by trial and error.

Another Virago based project. - Page 2 IMG_1073

Then it was wrapped with alu foil, and painted with a release agent.

Another Virago based project. - Page 2 IMG_1075

One layer of fiberglass was put on, and two mounting plates made.

Another Virago based project. - Page 2 IMG_1077

The foam was removed and I started the fitting process.

Another Virago based project. - Page 2 IMG_1078

This is roughly how it will end up looking when the two pipes are joined together.

Another Virago based project. - Page 2 IMG_1079

The carburator will be fitted on the left side, because the front head is slightly to the right, making more room for the carb.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 10:24 pm

Very interesting stuff Kim, Your talents amaze me  Another Virago based project. - Page 2 3498837457 Looking at the material of the two flange shapes reminded me of Boyesen reed valves from back in the day lol.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 8:35 am

This is a great thread, very inspirational.
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2015 5:25 pm

I have been thinking about how to make the rear fender, and decided not to spend the time making a fiberglass from scratch.

So I found a trailer fender with the correct radius and the small lip all around, to match the front fender, and only being 270dkr ~ £26.

I had to make it narrower by about 3cm, because I want to mount it to the swing arm, and it need to clear the frame under the seat, to allow for suspension travel.

It will off cause be painted with flames to match the rest of the bike, and you can see the new ape hangers I found used  guttss

Another Virago based project. - Page 2 IMG_1136

Another Virago based project. - Page 2 IMG_1137

Another Virago based project. - Page 2 IMG_1139

Another Virago based project. - Page 2 IMG_1140

Another Virago based project. - Page 2 IMG_1142
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2015 5:54 pm

Excellent I like that a lot  Another Virago based project. - Page 2 184121345
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2015 6:55 pm

I like the idea, but if I was making a new rear mudguard I would like to see more of my rear tyre, to make it more aggressive. Looking good all the same.
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2015 7:44 pm

Thx guys.

The position of the fender is not final yet, as I need to raise it to show the same amount of tire all around, and mount the front fender, to have both fenders stopping at the same place on the tire.

I just didn't want to start cutting before I was sure what to do.

I'm also not sure if I should extend the fender braces up in the air, to make a sort of useless sissybar glasses
It make look and old school together with the ape hangers.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2015 8:58 pm

This bike is showing some real potential. oyili
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2015 9:15 pm

Looking good Kim, the idea for the sissy bar sounds good  oyili
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another Virago based project.   Another Virago based project. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another Virago based project.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2