Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Urgent help needed on coil wiring! C800

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

Urgent help needed on coil wiring! C800 Empty
PostSubject: Urgent help needed on coil wiring! C800   Urgent help needed on coil wiring! C800 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 1:50 pm

I just removed a tachometer from my bike from the left side coil, but stupidly forgot to note the wire colours of the remaining wires and which terminal on the coil they go to.
Just done a terrible paint diagram using my laptop touchpad so sorry for the bad quality

Urgent help needed on coil wiring! C800 34zampz

This is the view of the coil from the left side of the bike. The holes either side of the coil are mounting holes, and to the right is the thick wire of the coil, which i believe is supposed to be mounted so the thick wire is higher up (I didnt even take note of which way around it mounts).
And judging by the second coil, i think the white and orange wire plugs into the lowest terminal on the coil, and the white wire plugs into the highest. But im not sure, so any clarification would help as there are no markings on the coil itself.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Urgent help needed on coil wiring! C800   Urgent help needed on coil wiring! C800 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 5:45 pm

White goes to the same side as the Earth wire, Orange and white goes to the opposite side according to the wiring diagram, Don't know if that's any use?
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

PostSubject: Re: Urgent help needed on coil wiring! C800   Urgent help needed on coil wiring! C800 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 6:42 pm

I'm not sure if it is much help, most of the wiring is hidden. But thank you.
I'm hoping someone will chime in who might have fitted a tach recently and will know which way around they go. I'm pretty sure the coil is mounted with the very thick cable being higher up though. School boy error not taking pics as i went along, especially messing with coils which ive never done before.
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

PostSubject: Re: Urgent help needed on coil wiring! C800   Urgent help needed on coil wiring! C800 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 6:49 pm

A few more pics to show what i mean:

Urgent help needed on coil wiring! C800 0veAJwj
Urgent help needed on coil wiring! C800 Rzn8HbO
Urgent help needed on coil wiring! C800 VoTzOhD
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

PostSubject: Re: Urgent help needed on coil wiring! C800   Urgent help needed on coil wiring! C800 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 6:53 pm

Have you got the service manual for your bike?
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

PostSubject: Re: Urgent help needed on coil wiring! C800   Urgent help needed on coil wiring! C800 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 6:57 pm

I looked at it online but all that shows is the wiring diagram. I dont know how dual coils work but if the other coil has the orange/white wire at the 'bottom' (i.e lower than the thick cable on the right} should the other coil be the same? The Baron website says:

Most motorcycles will have two wires going to each of the coils, and each coil will share one common-color wire and have one unique
color wire. The common-color is the positive and the unique color is the negative. For example, a Yamaha set-up has a red/black on both
coils - that is positive. The other coil wire would be orange or gray - that is the negative side. Hondas set-up is blue/yellow and
yellow/blue for the negative, and black/white for the positive. Suzuki has orange/white on both coils as positive and has white or
black/yellow as the negative side.
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

PostSubject: Re: Urgent help needed on coil wiring! C800   Urgent help needed on coil wiring! C800 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 7:15 pm

I have sent you a PM
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Urgent help needed on coil wiring! C800   Urgent help needed on coil wiring! C800 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 7:26 pm

Just had a look at mine (Left side) withthe HT lead facing forward (inside) Orange and White goes on the bottom Terminal, White goes on the top terminal, Like in this picture. Any help?
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

PostSubject: Re: Urgent help needed on coil wiring! C800   Urgent help needed on coil wiring! C800 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 7:31 pm

simbo wrote:
Just had a look at mine (Left side) withthe HT lead facing forward (inside) Orange and White goes on the bottom Terminal, White goes on the top terminal, Like in this picture. Any help?

So you were looking at it like in the picture i drew, and the wire colours are the same as in the picture too?
If so thats correct then, thanks a lot for checking for me. No idea why the coil itself has no +/- on it
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Urgent help needed on coil wiring! C800   Urgent help needed on coil wiring! C800 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 7:57 pm

Waaaaiit!!!
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Urgent help needed on coil wiring! C800   Urgent help needed on coil wiring! C800 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 7:59 pm

The Terminals are facing the rear of the bike!! HT lead on inside, Orange bottom, White Top.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Urgent help needed on coil wiring! C800   Urgent help needed on coil wiring! C800 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 8:07 pm

This is mine as I'm sat on left hand side of the bike looking up at the coil, Orange to the bottom.
Urgent help needed on coil wiring! C800 DSCF1519_zps72f7aa68
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

PostSubject: Re: Urgent help needed on coil wiring! C800   Urgent help needed on coil wiring! C800 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2014 8:11 pm

Thats weird, mine is facing the opposite way? Maybe the guy who fit the tach found it easier mounting it the other way. So yours is the same as the picture if you just flipped the picture around? Gotcha, thanks. Got there in the end lol
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

PostSubject: Re: Urgent help needed on coil wiring! C800   Urgent help needed on coil wiring! C800 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2014 11:52 am

Well that was ridiculous. Putting those two bolts back holding the coil on was one of the most fiddley jobs ive ever done, took an hour and a half.
The bolt has to go through the coil, into a spacer, a rubber sheet and then into the frame. With no space to work with and pipes and hoses all in the way. Ended up having to tape the bolt to a long allen key, feed it though, somehow align the spacer and rubber sheet up with the hole, fed it through the coil and wiggled it until all lined up.
Absolute nightmare of a job

Also Simbo what year is your bike? I had a look out of curiosity and there is no way the coil on mine could face the other way as the wires are too short. Maybe a minor design change if yours is a different year?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Urgent help needed on coil wiring! C800   Urgent help needed on coil wiring! C800 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Urgent help needed on coil wiring! C800
Page 1 of 1