Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Extending the luggage rack?

Go down 
+5
Mr Intruder
simbo
DocSjulle
katsd
EazyDuz
9 posters
AuthorMessage
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

Extending the luggage rack? Empty
PostSubject: Extending the luggage rack?   Extending the luggage rack? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2015 11:26 pm

I'm looking at buying a nice big tail bag but due to the small size of the stock luggage rack, none of them will fit very well without making it bigger.
As for products on the market, there arent many ive found apart from this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KURYAKYN-TOURING-BAG-SUPPORT-PLATFORM-7146-HONDA-HARLEY-KAWASAKI-SUZUKI-YAMAHA-/400316945088?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d34bfd2c0

Which looks good but quite pricey.
Thought about budget ideas like buying a black chopping board and drilling it, or aluminium sheet? Perspex, polypropylene? There are many materials which would work, but i'm pretty bad ad DIY so im looking for some inspiration on how best to go about it.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Extending the luggage rack?   Extending the luggage rack? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2015 11:37 am

Do you have a photo of the rack you already have fitted?  I'd start with something like this 

Extending the luggage rack? <a href=Extending the luggage rack? 91o623DIBQL._SL1500__zpss7qf4sol" />

available here - hot pot stand - should be fairly easy to cobble something up to fit it to your existing rack - probably with some small U-clamps ?
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

PostSubject: Re: Extending the luggage rack?   Extending the luggage rack? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2015 12:14 pm

That looks like it could work and wouldnt look too out of place.
The rack is just the standard Suzuki one, like this

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/32220502646_1/Chrome-font-b-Sissy-b-font-font-b-Bar-b-font-Luggage-Rack-For-font-b.jpg
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Extending the luggage rack?   Extending the luggage rack? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2015 12:38 pm

If it was me, I'd trim it if necessary, then lay it on top of the existing rack.  I'd then go to these people - U-Bolts-R-Us - (seriously, that's not a wind-up) & decide which u-bolts are going to be right for the job.   if you don't want to make up your own backing bars, they sell backing bars to fit, although I'd be inclined to make a backing bar which captured all of them in one go .  The only slight issue I can see is that (depending on which way you fit it), the rails on your existing rack could run in the opposite direction to the pot stand meaning that unless the cross rails match up to your existing rails, the u-clamps are going on at an angle - does that make sense?

Hopefully that's given you some ideas
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

PostSubject: Re: Extending the luggage rack?   Extending the luggage rack? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2015 12:43 pm

Couldnt it just be cable tied with metal cable ties? I have a pack of metal ones which are reusable.
Good idea though, i might go out for a ride and just look in a few random shops for something like that stand
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Extending the luggage rack?   Extending the luggage rack? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2015 12:53 pm

I personally wouldn't, but it may be worth a try.  I've never used metal ties, but I know some people that swear by them - don't know if any other members have experience of them.  Bear in mind how much weight is going to be on it, add onto that vibration & wind pressure & I'd be wanting it be as secure as possible.  I may even use my local, friendly engineering company to weld some clamps or threaded rod onto the pot stand so that I could just drop it over my existing rack (which I don't have) & then tighten up a couple of backing bars that have holes drilled in the right place.  That way you could drop it on in about five minutes.  Not an engineering masterpiece - do you know any local back street engineers?
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Extending the luggage rack?   Extending the luggage rack? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2015 1:47 pm

Something like this 

Extending the luggage rack? <a href=Extending the luggage rack? Img001_zps0pkqsrvy" />

I'd probably get it powder coated - wouldn't cost a fortune.  Sorry the sketch is a bit rough & ready, but I'm sure you get the idea.
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

PostSubject: Re: Extending the luggage rack?   Extending the luggage rack? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2015 4:41 pm

Yea i see what you mean. I also like this guys simple idea, may not look pretty but you wouldnt know with the bag being on it:

Love that tail bag as well. He has a few C800 videos, including a long term review
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Extending the luggage rack?   Extending the luggage rack? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2015 5:47 pm

This is just plain weird and eerie affraid

I just to home from IKEA with two of those stands, because after fitting the bags to my bike, I think it is missing a luggage rack, and could not find anyone I like.

Well, it seems we all think a lot alike Extending the luggage rack? 3213823784
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Extending the luggage rack?   Extending the luggage rack? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2015 5:51 pm

Hey Kim - the only reason I thought of them, is because I'd cooked a pasty for lunch & instead of putting the oven pan on the worktop, (lesson learned from a previous cooking failure) I grabbed my Ikea pan stand - cue that light bulb moment of inspiration !!  Great minds eh !!  How you going to attach yours ?
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

PostSubject: Re: Extending the luggage rack?   Extending the luggage rack? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2015 6:01 pm

Haha that is odd. Would love some pics of yours fitted if you could. I don't km why they make luggage racks so small to be honest
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Extending the luggage rack?   Extending the luggage rack? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2015 6:02 pm

So you have to buy their saddle bags as well !!!
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Extending the luggage rack?   Extending the luggage rack? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2015 7:13 pm

Good thinking guys  Extending the luggage rack? 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Extending the luggage rack?   Extending the luggage rack? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2015 7:17 pm

Thinking outside the box, I like your thinking.
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

PostSubject: Re: Extending the luggage rack?   Extending the luggage rack? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2015 7:39 pm

I think i'll buy that and then cut all the side poles down so it sits flush with the vertical bars, that way there will be nothing sticking out. Hopefully its quite heavy duty
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Extending the luggage rack?   Extending the luggage rack? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2015 8:55 pm

EazyDuz wrote:
Yea i see what you mean. I also like this guys simple idea, may not look pretty but you wouldnt know with the bag being on it:

Love that tail bag as well. He has a few C800 videos, including a long term review

That looks incredibly simple & effective - although personally, I'd still go for the Ikea rack as it give you more flexibility for strapping stuff down.  Let us know how it goes - if you need a hand, give us a shout.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Extending the luggage rack?   Extending the luggage rack? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2015 10:32 pm

That's a very useful tail pack, good video  Extending the luggage rack? 3498837457
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Extending the luggage rack?   Extending the luggage rack? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2015 11:36 pm

the ikea pot stand us a clever idea. Just one thought.. Not sure how rust proof it would be... Couple of coats of clear coat?

Just to ask a dumb question.... How huge a bag are you carrying? Do you actually need to extend the rack? I carried a pretty big bag on my rear rack last year, and although not a suzuki, it looks identical to yours. By the time the bag was bungeed to the sissy bar it wasn't going anywhere...

Bit of droop on either side but fine...
[img]Extending the luggage rack? 20140801_105049[/img]
Back to top Go down
Proudtexson
VIP Member
Proudtexson

PostSubject: Re: Extending the luggage rack?   Extending the luggage rack? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2015 11:55 pm

Don't know about the bike or rack but what a great looking road to ride. oyili ilis
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Extending the luggage rack?   Extending the luggage rack? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2015 11:58 pm

Cheers tex... It was in northern Spain, in an an area known as the Picos de Europa. Extending the luggage rack? 184121345
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Extending the luggage rack?   Extending the luggage rack? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 12:02 am

Another ikea product that could work...

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00202545/

You mentioned polypropylene, and I'm guessing that's what stuff like this is made from
Back to top Go down
icetechaus
Valued Member
icetechaus

PostSubject: Re: Extending the luggage rack?   Extending the luggage rack? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 2:55 am

My old man went a different route to fit a large leather bag to the bak of his Marauder. Instead of extending the rack he fitted a piece of 10mm ply into the bottom of the bag.
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

PostSubject: Re: Extending the luggage rack?   Extending the luggage rack? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 11:50 am

That would also work, probably more simple. The benefit of extending the rack as opposed to making the base of the bag hard is extra places to strap it down.
With regards to rust, a review on the Ikea one said it can also be used as a drip tray for drying plates so i'm assuming it would be rust proof if its a kitchen accessory
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Extending the luggage rack?   Extending the luggage rack? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 12:54 pm

On my C800 I have the standard size rack & sissy bar so when I needed to carry a large bag last year to France & Yorkshire & had to think about what to do to make the rack area bigger.
As luck would have it I had a piece of 6mm alloy plate about 18" by 6" lying about from when I was going to make a bash plate for the underneath of my Velocette Scrambler.
I put the plate on the rack & it was exactly the right size so I made a plate to go under the rack & along with some stick on rubber foam insulation  drilled both plates & sandwiched the rack in between them using stainless steel fittings.
As well as doing that I made some 90 degree alloy brackets with slots in so I could bungee the bag down to it as well as having the bags own lashings which went around the sissy bar etc making for a really strong but light platform for the bag I have which is from the Aussie Biker people.
I also have a Rigg Pack that I've not used which is sitting on the top shelf of our wardrobe unused which is of a semi rigid construction much like an expanding suitcase. It also has a barrel bag which clips to the top giving you even more room.
Rosie & I took too much kit with us on both trips but we still had tons of space left for souveniers etc...

ps. If anyone wants to buy the Rigg pack then pm me as It really needs a good home & could be yours for £80- + p&p. Oh Rosie has reminded me it has a small repairable tear near one of the zips.
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Extending the luggage rack?   Extending the luggage rack? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 12:57 pm

EazyDuz wrote:
That would also work, probably more simple. The benefit of extending the rack as opposed to making the base of the bag hard is extra places to strap it down.
With regards to rust, a review on the Ikea one said it can also be used as a drip tray for drying plates so i'm assuming it would be rust proof if its a kitchen accessory
I've had one in my kitchen for years & it has no rust on it all, despite going through the dishwasher countless times.  However, if you trim the ends off, you'll be exposing the unprotected surface - you'd either need to give it a heavy paint coat or have it powdered.
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Extending the luggage rack?   Extending the luggage rack? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 1:37 pm

It should not require any protection as it is made a stainless steel, and if it survives the dishwasher without a mark, it should do fine on the bike.

Btw, it is made a thin wall tubes, so when you cut them you might consider something to block off the end.
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Extending the luggage rack?   Extending the luggage rack? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 1:42 pm

So is it stainless under the coating, cos mine is definitely coated with something
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

PostSubject: Re: Extending the luggage rack?   Extending the luggage rack? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 4:05 pm

Doc any chance you could post a PIC of it fitted?
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Extending the luggage rack?   Extending the luggage rack? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 5:16 pm

Last time I went away on the Intruder I just cut a square piece of 1/4 plywood and zip tied it to the rack to support my rucksack, didn't look pretty but it worked a treat.
Back to top Go down
DocSjulle
Hero Globs
DocSjulle

PostSubject: Re: Extending the luggage rack?   Extending the luggage rack? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 9:19 pm

I haven't made a rack yet, but the steel is not coated on mine.

I tried to bend the pipe a bit, and it is not possible to do very tight bend without it breaking.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Extending the luggage rack?   Extending the luggage rack? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Extending the luggage rack?
Page 1 of 1