Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rattling exhaust

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Gargula
Gargula

Rattling exhaust Empty
PostSubject: Rattling exhaust   Rattling exhaust Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 6:24 pm

I was just looking through the various areas and cant seem to find any troubleshooting areas... yall mechanics? :)

I'm looking because it seems like something is rattling close to my left header pipe when I crank the throttle... maybe someone's come across that problem before?
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

Rattling exhaust Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattling exhaust   Rattling exhaust Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 9:07 pm

Is there a problem with the inner pipe rattling inside the header pipe? I've read something about it but not sure whether it's the VS or VZ?, there is a thread with an explanation and cure on the forum somewhere.
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

Rattling exhaust Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattling exhaust   Rattling exhaust Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 9:11 pm

Yes I think you can either weld or drill and self tap screw the pipe back together, as Sim says there is a thread somewere on here.
Back to top Go down
hmac
hmac

Rattling exhaust Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattling exhaust   Rattling exhaust Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 12:42 am

Start by checking the clamps on the heat shields are tight. There are two shields, one at the front of the pipe and one where it bends under the frame.
Back to top Go down
Two-Bears
* VZ Guru *
Two-Bears

Rattling exhaust Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattling exhaust   Rattling exhaust Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 3:15 am

Hello Dave,
I agree with Harry check the heat shields first.
I`ve cut a pasted this reply to spudgun`s query ( I don't know how to do a link to it ) :-

Subject: Re: Dissecting Rattlers   Rattling exhaust EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 7:43 pmRattling exhaust I_icon_quote

Hello Spudgun,
This is/was a fairly common fault with the VZ800`s, the front pipe is a double skin affair and the rattle is usually the two pipes touching inside,  usually when the pipe is cold if you clout the front pipe at the top with the flat of your hand you will probably hear it rattle. If this is the fault the common fix was to remove the front heat shield and drill an 1/8 inch or so hole carefully just in the outer pipe and not through both pipes,,, grind the point of a self tapping screw or self tapping bolt so it is flat and screw it in to touch the inner pipe and tighten it,,, it is supposed to lock the inner pipe to the back of the outer pipe,,,, some people even drilled two or more holes and MIG welded through to lock the pipes together,, when done re-fit the heat shield and it covers the screw/bolt head.
Touching on what John has said about someone may have drilled down the middle of the exhausts at some time I agree with him on this,,, the VZ800 pipe innards appear to be made from much harder metals than the intruder of the same age and a very good quality core drill was required to remove the baffle,, I have come across two VZ`s ware people have tried and gave up,,, one of them did have a rattle afterwards which was the remains and debris from the attempt to de-baffle,, but simply removing pipes (easy job) and shaking the lose stuff out sorted that.
I would look to the first remedy first though as it was fairly common.
Hope this is of some help mate.
Back to top Go down
Gargula
Gargula

Rattling exhaust Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattling exhaust   Rattling exhaust Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 10:38 am

thanks for the replies peeps. 
Im assuming that the "front pipe" refers to the left header pipe... funny though, I've read that some companies like vance and hines for example do double wall exhausts to prevent the bluish discoloration that single pipes get on the chrome, since I see that bluish discoloration on my left header pipe when its hot, I've assumed it was a single pipe... I'll check it out when I have a chance.
Back to top Go down
Gargula
Gargula

Rattling exhaust Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattling exhaust   Rattling exhaust Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 12:59 pm

here it is anyway.
https://www.suzuki800.com/t3699-dissecting-rattlers
funny how google finds things quicker than some forum searches Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rattling exhaust Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattling exhaust   Rattling exhaust Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rattling exhaust
Page 1 of 1