Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Full back end light up?

Go down 
+2
katsd
Farmboy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Farmboy

Full back end light up? Empty
PostSubject: Full back end light up?   Full back end light up? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 12:30 am

So I'm looking around.... and find this!

Now, I'm searching for stuff that twigs me to make my Vulcan 800 more mine, much as I tried to do with my Boulevard in past years and it looks like this could be a viable piece 'o kit for the Suzuki as well.  While the green/blue/gray wires may differ in color they have to have some similarity in basic wiring.

Full back end light up? Lighttext1_1

credit where credit is due, it was posted by "Chops" on a Vulcan Riders web site. 
Thought it may be of interest.  This is merely suggested.  It may need a touch of modding for the Suzuki but still, it might be worth friggin' with.

Cheers

Mike
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Full back end light up?   Full back end light up? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 11:56 am

Don't think indicators acting as brake lights is legal in the UK.  I had some serious discussions with my (previuos) MOT tester about the legality of my brake / tail / indicator combination, so I'm guessing that indicators flashing as brakes is a no-no over here.  The reason for an MOT failure is "emits other than a steady red light", so I suppose you could argue that the brake light still emits a steady red light - depends on the individual tester.  Although I have seen some vehicles fitted with flashing red brake lights.  Wouldn't want to go to all the trouble of modifying the wiring only to be failed. 

Good idea though
Back to top Go down
Old Luner
Valued Member
Old Luner

PostSubject: Re: Full back end light up?   Full back end light up? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 5:38 pm

Would think that it could confuse others behind you as its something most folk aren't used to seeing, wouldnt want a shunt up the bum for them to turn round and say "well his brake lights work all wrong".

Plus insurers only need the slightest excuse to not pay out.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Full back end light up?   Full back end light up? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 9:13 pm

I go along with what the others have said.

On a recent wheeler dealers, they imported a USA spec vw bus, and had to change the lighting back to UK spec.

Do you have panniers or anything? You could fit them with led strips or led bullet lights to "add to" your existing lighting. So extra red for tail, extra Amber for indicators.
Back to top Go down
Farmboy

PostSubject: Re: Full back end light up?   Full back end light up? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 9:27 pm

Sorry for the confusion.  I didn't make mention the turn signal lens should be converted to red or a red bulb with clear lens, I assumed it was a given.  I don't think amber stop lights would work in very many countries.  Thanks for clearing it up.
Back to top Go down
Farmboy

PostSubject: Re: Full back end light up?   Full back end light up? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 9:32 pm

Quote :
On a recent wheeler dealers, they imported a USA spec vw bus, and had to change the lighting back to UK spec.

....is this to say ALL turn signals are yellow and red not allowed?
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Full back end light up?   Full back end light up? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 9:35 pm

Yep !!!!  You see the odd Yank import, but technically they're supposed to be altered to UK spec
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Full back end light up?   Full back end light up? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 9:36 pm

That's what I thought.... If I saw someone with a flashing red rear light I would just think they'd got a dodgy tail light. I wouldn't for one minute think they were about to turn...

Sorry :(
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Full back end light up?   Full back end light up? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 9:39 pm

The MOT tester last year was really arsey with me as my indicators & brake lights are combined in the one unit - even though some Harleys & newer Passats have them
Back to top Go down
Farmboy

PostSubject: Re: Full back end light up?   Full back end light up? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 9:53 pm

Well then, my bad, sorry 'bout that folks.  Guess the mod only applies to those not in the UK that are members of this site.  Actually, maybe it would be better for the powers that be to delete the thread.  No worries.  Can't win 'em all.
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Full back end light up?   Full back end light up? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 10:02 pm

Hey Mike - sure someone in the rest of the world (that doesn't have archaic regulations) will find it useful.  Nothing wrong with bringing a good idea to the table - even if only one person finds it useful, that's one more than before you posted it !!!
Back to top Go down
hmac
hmac

PostSubject: Re: Full back end light up?   Full back end light up? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 11:10 pm

I have red led brake lights installed in the rear indicators of my BMW. The lenses are clear and the indicator bulbs are amber. Never had a problem with MOT or the law.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: Full back end light up?   Full back end light up? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 11:38 pm

But I bet your your indicators are Amber. I think the issue here is that a flashing red turn signal wouldn't be legit?
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Full back end light up?   Full back end light up? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 12:30 am

MOT Test regulations, section 1.5, Direction Indicators

"Each lamp must emit an amber light, except vehicles first used before 1 September 1965 where both front indicators may be white and both rear indicators red."
Back to top Go down
hmac
hmac

PostSubject: Re: Full back end light up?   Full back end light up? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 8:14 pm

My indicators are amber Mal, the leds will show red through clear or amber lenses.
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Full back end light up?   Full back end light up? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 8:45 pm

So are your indicators incorporated in the same unit as the brake lights or do you have a separate brake light Harry ?
Back to top Go down
hmac
hmac

PostSubject: Re: Full back end light up?   Full back end light up? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 11:13 pm

Indicators are separate units, the leds are fitted into them and come on with the brake light. http://pirateslair.net/LiteBuddy.htm

Full back end light up? OpenLB

Full back end light up? Lite_buddies_after
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Full back end light up?   Full back end light up? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2015 9:09 am

They're good - very bright - good safety mod that one
Back to top Go down
hmac
hmac

PostSubject: Re: Full back end light up?   Full back end light up? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2015 8:33 pm

The BMW indicators are cheap on ebay and could easily be fitted to other bikes,  then just order lite buddys from the states and you have cool rear light set up.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Full back end light up?   Full back end light up? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2015 9:32 pm

katsd wrote:
The MOT tester last year was really arsey with me as my indicators & brake lights are combined in the one unit - even though some Harleys & newer Passats have them

I wonder how I'll go on when the MOT's due on my iron?
Back to top Go down
Farmboy

PostSubject: Re: Full back end light up?   Full back end light up? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2015 11:26 pm

Still poking around, I found this link from another bike page.  It seems to be just what the doctor ordered, at least for me.

It uses led's to show your rear turn signals as red in normal running mode thereby enhancing one's visibility at night.  When the turn signal is activated, the led shuts off, the yellow lens does it's job as usual. 

A little further down the article, he explains how this could also be a red brakelight(s), again, letting the yellow lens function properly in turn/flash mode.
Following that much, it goes in to trailer (caravan) modulators and other stuff.

The led setup looks like a winter project for little Mikey!  See what you think.

red/yellow tail lights

Cheers guys!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Full back end light up?   Full back end light up? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Full back end light up?
Page 1 of 1