Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box

Go down 
+5
hawktheslayer
peardrop3
alfie92
simbo
katsd
9 posters
AuthorMessage
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box Empty
PostSubject: Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box   Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2016 10:57 am

I've started to look at wiring in the tacho I've bought & need to pick up a feed when the ignition is switched on - any suggestions?  Mine is an '01 model, so the lights are switched - and I'm not sure I fancy cutting into the ignition wiring!!  I'm guessing something like the indicators would have a feed only when the ignition is on.

Which kinda led onto another thought.  Has anyone fitted an auxiliary fuse box/power supply to their bike?  I've a few additions which are picking a feed up off the battery & it's becoming a little "ring connector" overloaded.  Had a look round & found my old mate at Eastern Beaver (steady on Sim) does an auxiliary fuse box which can take two unswitched/six switched circuits & eight grounding connectors.  Not the cheapest option, but saves a lot of aggro & everything's included.

Any thoughts ?
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box   Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2016 2:15 pm

Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box   Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2016 2:22 pm

Knew I'd seen it somewhere - cheers Sim
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box   Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2016 3:56 pm

Hi the piece of copper wire connects all the fuse holders with one live, save on mess, less wires. You can then have the live connected to a switched live, or your positive on battery through a fuse. Go for a mini blade fuse holder if you are short on space.
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box   Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2016 9:38 pm

Looking around, I came across this - Fuzeblock - which also looks like it does the same job (admittedly with only six, not eight fuses).  I'm all for a ready made solution !!!
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box   Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2016 1:12 pm

Dave the write up alone on this item is worth a read, very well explained. I would not think you would need more than six accessories fitted, so should certainly fit most peoples requirements. Personally  the only downfall to me is the price, thanks for finding and posting. Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box 996187811
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box   Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2016 4:04 pm

Or why not buy a cheaper 6 way fuse block from Vehicle Wiring in Ilkeston for a few quid???
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box   Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2016 8:20 pm

That was my original idea.  But I'd still have to add a ground block & either a relay if I wanted to use the same block for switched & un-switched items, or a second fuse block.  I'd then have to make a wiring loom & to be honest, my work would look like a complete pigs-ear compared to a decent off-the-shelf unit.  The Eastern Beaver unit comes in about £70 - £80 delivered - for what I'd save doing it myself, I'd rather spend a bit more & have a decent, ready to plug in kit.  Believe me, this guys work is top-notch
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box   Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2016 10:38 pm

Just ordered the Eastern Beaver kit - speced it with the longer wiring on the POS side & decided to go for the 50 A kit.  Decided to mount it on the side of the battery box behind the right-hand side panel 

Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box <a href=Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box DSC00028_zpskdrsvgkw" />

- there's plenty of room behind there & judging by the lack of muck, pretty well protected.  should be an easy routing to the battery
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

PostSubject: Re: Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box   Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2016 3:25 am

Aaaaah so that's where the shock adjuster sits! Thanks Dave been meaning to look that one up Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box 3498837457
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box   Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2016 8:51 am

Glad the write-up's been useful for something !
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box   Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2016 5:09 pm

Good placing  Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box 3498837457  that's where the 05 onwards ECU lives, so it should be well protected in there.
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box   Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2016 9:15 pm

Thanks for that bit of info Sim - that's made me feel better about my choice of locating it
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

PostSubject: Re: Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box   Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2016 8:09 am

katsd wrote:
I've started to look at wiring in the tacho I've bought & need to pick up a feed when the ignition is switched on - any suggestions?  Mine is an '01 model, so the lights are switched - and I'm not sure I fancy cutting into the ignition wiring!!  I'm guessing something like the indicators would have a feed only when the ignition is on.

Which kinda led onto another thought.  Has anyone fitted an auxiliary fuse box/power supply to their bike?  I've a few additions which are picking a feed up off the battery & it's becoming a little "ring connector" overloaded.  Had a look round & found my old mate at Eastern Beaver (steady on Sim) does an auxiliary fuse box which can take two unswitched/six switched circuits & eight grounding connectors.  Not the cheapest option, but saves a lot of aggro & everything's included.

Any thoughts ?
In case you need a switched feed Dave, there is a spare terminal block inside the headlight which gives you a switched live connection. That's where I got switched supply from for the dash panel.
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box   Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2016 3:46 pm

Thanks for that Mick - should make things easier.  I'll have a poke round & try to find it.  Need to tidy up the iring inside the headlight shell

Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box <a href=Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box DSC08970_zpsz2hysn57" />

Johnmc800 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

PostSubject: Re: Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box   Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2016 6:42 pm

Dave, I think it's the one diagonally below the headlight socket on the left of the picture. Just behind those red connectors mate.
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box   Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2016 7:11 pm

Gotcha - cheers Mick
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box   Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 10:37 pm

Finally got round to fitting the auxiliary fuse holder from Eastern Beaver

Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box <a href=Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box DSC00005_zpsov44s8ff" />

Now, I'm going to own up that I didn't feel like tackling this one myself - I know my limitations & didn't feel 100% confident - & after having one bike go up in flames, I wasn't risking a second one.  So I called in the assistance of a friend of mine who has an automotive electrical company.  He had a look at the kit & said it was the best he'd seen.

Decided to locate it behind the right=hand side-panel, as it looked very clean under there & Sim tells me this is where the ECU is located now, so it's going to be fairly well protected.  Used some 3M Dual-Lock strips to fit it (brilliant stuff - like Velcro, but stronger) - plenty of space.  

Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box <a href=Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box Fuse%2001_zpsk2oejabv" />

Top two are constant feed, bottom six are switched feed.  At the moment there's only the horn & headlight upgrade wiring fitted in.

Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box <a href=Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box Fuse%2002_zpssuynonnl" />

Picked up a switched feed from the horn relay, the Optimates been left on the battery

Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box <a href=Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box Fuse%2004_zps5rgyjaji" />

Very pleased with the results - can get on with wiring the tacho in now - been out today & picked up some extra cable to run to the box.  I also had to pick up a new battery - the old one's past its prime - went for a Yuasa 14.  Fit it tomorrow & see if the bike starts !!
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box   Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 12:53 pm

That looks a nice piece of kit Dave Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box 3498837457
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

PostSubject: Re: Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box   Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 3:17 pm

Very tidy! Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box 996187811 Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box 102087026
Back to top Go down
Ken1964
Valued Member
Ken1964

PostSubject: Re: Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box   Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 3:23 pm

Very good.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box   Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 4:53 pm

Nice one. Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box 3498837457
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box   Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2016 12:53 pm

Very neat and tidy. Excellent job.
Back to top Go down
Artic Mick
Prospect
Artic Mick

PostSubject: Re: Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box   Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2016 10:21 am

Brilliant. Just on here and already got good info. Cheers. Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box 256401
Now I know where a switched feed is.
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box   Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2016 10:34 pm

If you are looking for a feed for bits like sat nav/phone etc etc then there is a ''T'' shaped empty feed in the headlamp shell Mick but you'll have to look for it as it's hidden quite well lol! Has 2 wires & is on only when the ignition is if that's any help mate?
Memory say's it has a black/white tracer & an orange wire. The orange is live & the other earth ok?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box   Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Feed When Ignition Switched On / Seconday Fuse Box
Page 1 of 1