Just over 12 months ago I fell in love with a 2013 M800 I saw in a local dealers
But it was out of my price range and the part exchange value they offered on my old bike was nothing short of an insult. I proceeded to find a lovely 2005 M800 with a less offending part exchange value and struck a deal.
I loved the look of my 05 M800 but every time I saw the newer model with the rounded rear end and the mean looking headlight it left me longing for an upgrade.
I sourced a new/used rear end from I think it was a 2013 model, I painted it and fitted it and I was happy that the bike was looking more like I wanted it to. I couldn't find a used rear seat so I fitted the "speed hump" so it only had one seat which suited me fine.
Then I met a gorgeous young lady who wanted to be my pilly and I had to re-fit the original rear end with pilly seat so the bike was back to its original 2005 spec.
Eventually I found a 2013 rear seat meaning I could put the newer rear end back on the bike and still carry my pilly. The shop also had a front headlight, speedo and bracket for sale so I tipped out my shallow pockets and bought the lot hoping I could make it fit and make my 05 plate bike look like the newer model, the one that I originally desired.
I had a trial fit of the later model headlamp to my bike, it was simple to fit but the built in speedo had a different wiring harness to my bike.
I bought the wiring harness from the donor bike with the speedo connector and had to set about working out which wire was which. Luckily for myself the wires were all matching colours so I dry wired it and found out it worked as it should. lovely Jubbly.
The newer front end fit a treat and the only modifications I had to carry out was the wiring and a small plate I had to make to support the speedo. It all works as it should apart from the fuel gage (which my bike originally didn't have). I haven't got around to fixing this yet as I imagine I may need a different sender unit and from past experience on a different bike it might not match my tank so I can live with the fuel gage reading one bar as my original petrol warning light still works.
Old head light
New head light
Last night I swapped over the rear which is a basic unbolt the old and bolt on the new and I like what I have now
Old rear end
New rear end
Fair enough I have spend a few hundred pounds in my conversion but I have enjoyed the challenge and proved that the M800 can have a face lift if desired. I still have the headlight cowl to colour code but i need warmer weather (or a gas bottle for my heater) before I get the paint out.
Along the way I have also removed the pair valve which I might write up about because it kept throwing up an FI light and it took a while to get around. Im looking to fit a power commander next and then change the airbox for something a bit smaller.